Does anyone eat the McDonald's "McRib" sandwich?

Shortline Bus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beef packed to lok like ribs just seems a bit off to me, also I'm not a fan of onions plus I realy like the McDouble.

It's pork not beef. Also, you can order it sans onions. That how I order mine. Without onions and pickles.

It's pork not beef. Also, you can order it sans onions. That how I order mine. Without onions and pickles.

Beef or pork, it's all the same when you order at these places, they just add a different flavor to the "meat" product.

I heard some say its good. I might try it.

It was (McRib)on the regular 'Micky D's' for a few years in the late 1980's before it was pulled off due to low sales.

I read in some articles that so called "McRib" fans across America are leading an online drive on facebook for McDonald's to once make it a permamnent part of their menu.

Here a NY Daily news on how Mcrib actually has thousands of fans across America.

The return of McDonald's beloved McRib sandwich is like a unicorn sighting: fans

BY Jacob E. Osterhout

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, November 2nd 2010

Handschuh for NewsThe McRib is back at McDonald's and we tried it. Verdict? Just as tasty as ever. Take our PollI'm lovin' it!

Are you picking up the McRib during its month-long return to McDonald's?

For the first time in 16 years, McDonald's outlets nationwide return the McRib sandwich to their menus Tuesday.

The limited-edition run lasts for four weeks only. And New York McRib lovers are champing at the bit to sink their teeth into the sandwich.

"I'm going to eat as many as I can until I throw up," says Jenny Wu, a 31-year-old Web designer from Flushing. "It's so tasty! We don't know what animals McDonald's killed to make the McRib, but we don't care because it tastes so good."

For the record, it's a processed pork patty shaped like a rib cage, slathered in barbecue sauce and topped with onions and pickles.

Wu is not alone: The specialty sandwich has a rabid fan base in this city.

In 2008, Anthony Benenato, an environmental waste worker in Belleville, N.J., started the Facebook group "Bring the MC Rib to New Jersey and New York," one of nearly 300 independent Facebook pages dedicated to the $2.99 menu item.

Tuesday marks the realization of his dream.

"I was hoping that if we got enough support, the McDonald's corporation would grant us our wish," says Benenato, 28, who can barely control his excitement when talking about the McRib. "I had almost given up the fight, but then I heard the news that the McRib was coming back and I had to celebrate. I feel proud, like I did my part to help the McRib return."

The McRib debuted in 1982 to the delight of pork lovers, but by 1990 interest had waned. McDonald's removed the sandwich from the full-time menu, instead offering it sporadically as a specialty item at restaurants across the country.

"The McRib sandwich is seen by our customers as one of the most legendary menu items we have to offer," says McDonald's spokeswoman Tara Hayes. "By offering it in limited time periods it keeps the product fresh in the minds of our guests and maintains the demand to keep it coming back."

The McRib consists of a pork patty slathered in barbecue sauce and topped with pickles and onions. (Handschuh for News)

Before Tuesday's nationwide rollout, McRib fans could only find their favorite sandwich by going to a McRib locator website (run by a Minnesota meteorologist) or by just getting lucky.

"Every now and then it would just pop up near my home in Queens and I would stop everything and get it," says Evonne Walton, a 45-year-old receptionist from Ozone Park.

"The McRib is so elusive," says Wu. "It comes out sporadically and then it’s gone again, like a unicorn."

Indeed, the lengths to which fans will go for the McRib has turned the 500-calorie pork pile, which has also been referred to by naysayers as a "sacrilege against the real barbecue deities," into a pop-culture phenomenon.

The McRib has been featured in David Letterman Top 10 lists, an episode of "The Simpsons" (as the Ribwich), and a "Charlie's Angels" movie.

"Even if you haven't had a McRib in years, you still remember what it looks and tastes like," says Aaron Walker, a 39-year-old financial manager from Boerum Hill. "I mean, how many other sandwiches are turned into a cartoon."

The taste certainly maintains an appeal for those sick of burgers.

"I love the McRib because of the sauce," says Ben Barna, 28, a writer in Bed-Stuy. "There's also the nice contrast between the sweet barbecue taste and the salty pickles. Also, it's very exciting to get a pork sandwich at a burger place."

Plus, there are fond childhood memories.

"I remember eating it as a kid and how good it was," says Benenato. "I've been on a crazy strict diet lately and lost a ton of weight, but I am definitely going to break my diet to go have a McRib."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2010/11/02/2010-11-02_the_return_of_mcdonalds_beloved_mcrib_sandwich_is_like_a_unicorn_sighting_fans.html#ixzz14Ax3ouNY

I still dont get how they made pork into a patty? Pork is a different type of meat compared to beef and chicken when it comes to texture.Now thats a Mc Mystery to me.

Try the all new McRib.

(*Please note that the McRib uses pork meal, not actual pork.)

;)

Archived