Training & Road Test for Bus Operators

straker211

Hi Straker. Training is pretty thorough, and they show you everything you need to know. They give you 7-10 days of training. You have the chance to qualify for the MTA after 7 days of training. If you fail, they give you another training day on day 8, and then another road test on day 9. If the road test on day 9 is failed, then they give you a last one on day 10.

The road for the MTA is usually 10 minutes long. Actually, there is no formal road test for qualifying by day 7. They just feel if you drive good enough, then you are ok to go by day 7.

The pre trip inspection INSIDE the mta bus is different from a regular school bus. The outside is basically the same.

Hey Chris I actually start training at Zerega April 14, and everyone that I speak to says something different, some people say training is a breeze, some say is very hard, I understand that some people really dont pay attention and thats probably what would make it hard, but I cant see me coming this far and going out like that, I Just wanna know in 7 days and everything goes well, do I still have a take a road test, and if so during the road test, if you can Chris what will the instructors ask me to do " only if you remember chris?

How is it? Is training good enough to where the road test is easy? How long is the road test? How should a Pre-Trip Inspection be done?

There is no road test for MTA. DMV gives road tests, not the MTA. MTA gives qualification courses, so you learn to drive their bus their way. Do you have a CDL, or do you need to take a DMV road test? If you already have a CDL, the MTA Qualification, is driving around an area the instructor is familiar with, at the beginning. You will do Manhattan and H'way driving. You will go into the bus simulator at Zerega. You will do El pillars (usually along Westchester Ave.). You will back up the bus. You will parallel park it.

As for if it's hard or not, some things really can't be answered. It's hard for some, and easy for others. It depends on the person and their experience with driving commercially.

Where they take you differs. In brooklyn, the "L" pillars are on stillwell ave. Straker if you pay attention, AND DON'T GET NERVOUS, then you will be ok.

Out of the 4 in my class, 3 had their cdl, 1 didn't. The one who did not have his cdl did the best by far, IN THE BEGINNING. Then as soon as day 6 came (he knew day 6 was a big day in manhatten), he got nervous and jumped a curb. The instructor told him "you did good on days 1-5, so I know you can do it. If you do fine tomorrow then I will qualify you".

So day 7 comes, and he gets nervous again. He jumps another crub and had to go through days 8,9 and 10. He ended up failing, all because he was nervous. Yet in reality, he was a better driver than all 3 of us who had our cdl's before. We had bad habits, but we just got by on qualifying day. This kid was very safe and careful when he drove on days 1-5.

If you don't get nervous, and understand that people watch out for you on the road, then you will be ok. If you just do what the instructor says, you will be ok.

Oh and another thing, on your turns, go VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOW. When I say slow, I mean literally moving at a turtles speed. I always made really wide turns because of two reasons. One: I was always scared of jumping the curb, and Two: I was always going way to fast.

When I say slow, I mean your foot is on the brake as your turning. So if your at a traffic light, and the light is red, and you have to make a right turn, your foot will never leave the brake. It all depends on how much pressure you should take off of the brake. Thats one of the best pieces of advice anyone can give you about training. DOB2RTO (DOB2DOB is his real username, considering hes not leaving surface transportation...lol) would agree as well. ALWAYS GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and another thing, on your turns, go VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SLOW. When I say slow, I mean literally moving at a turtles speed. I always made really wide turns because of two reasons. One: I was always scared of jumping the curb, and Two: I was always going way to fast.

When I say slow, I mean your foot is on the brake as your turning. So if your at a traffic light, and the light is red, and you have to make a right turn, your foot will never leave the brake. It all depends on how much pressure you should take off of the brake. Thats one of the best pieces of advice anyone can give you about training. DOB2RTO (DOB2DOB is his real username, considering hes not leaving surface transportation...lol) would agree as well. ALWAYS GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL... DOB2DOB... I love that. And my bad, I didn't clarify the road test part. As DOB stated it's not through the MTA, but it's mandatory if you don't already have a CDL.

LOL... DOB2DOB... I love that.

I totalliieee hate that.......

DOB2RTO (DOB2DOB is his real username, considering hes not leaving surface transportation...lol) would agree as well. ALWAYS GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I leave, you will know, as you would hear a sonic boom as I stage left, right even. That is how fast I will be out that door.

I had my CDL since 2000, and never even went flying down the road in training, when I started in 2006. I knew what they wanted, since my training at Coach USA was the same. No matter who you drive for, when they test you you go slow.

Those curbs taken out alot of people. Did so good on the straight road, but kept hoping the curb. It is not just one of those looking in your mirrors to see the curb and where your rear wheels are, but it is also knowing the vehicle you drive. That is what commercial driving is about.

One last trick, you will train in the RTS. Besides looking in your mirror, all you need to do is turn your head to your far right, and you can see even more out the passenger window. That is one great thing about hybrid buses also. Of course this is when there are no standees in front.

Hey guys i start training on the 28th of april.i have my CDL permit. Will the MTA provide a bus for the road test? Second will the DMV Be road testing at on set place for the MTA or you u can report to anywhere for the road test?? would love to drive around the area where i will road testing, and one more Question? Will i go for my road test during that 1-10 day training period or will that be later after i completed MTA training course?

I gotta say you guys are great, you speak to some people and they make it seem like its the hardest thing in the world, I know its not, I guess its just time to suck it up and be focus.......

I have another question, how is the Air brake test? and is the air brake test

performed on the road test?

Hey guys

I just wanted to let all the people that are going for training. It's easy if you listen. When got on the bus the first day I had 2 guys training me. One asked me to step up and still in the seat. Which I did. Now the other guy took over and said lets see if you can drive the bus. I reply no I can't he asked me can you drive a car I said yes He said then you can drive this now hit the high way I was like are you for real.Yup he said. With in about 20mins I was on the highway in the bronx going 55 and saying 10.6 14 or better passing over pass and calling out signs. Now he wanted me to go into brooklyn to JFK and the traffic was so bad. but around an hour long trip. we stop and had something to eat when I got out of that seat I was like WOW I can really drive a bus on the highway. The turns we all learn sooner or later from day 1-4 they had me turn left,right,Acute Angle,PIN THE BUS. so many things 4ft from the park cars. they watch to make sure your looking in your mirrors remember guys right mirror is #1 #2 center mirror #3 left mirror. then you have door mirrors and keep your eyes on that door when your closing it. they will stick there hand. If anyone has questions about something feel free to ask. GOOD LUCK ALL

NOFLEXDONT and STRAKER

NOFLEXDONT: The MTA does provide the bus for the road test. You will take your road test on a 40ft RTS (You will see what an rts is as soon as you start training, day 1). Where you do your drivers training (7-10 day qualifying training), most likely it will be close to where you live. They do the road test near zerega avenue in the bronx. SO you will have to go back to the bronx to take your road test. The road test is usually about 4 weeks after you start. As a matter of fact, it might even be 5 weeks. Its well into line training, right before you graduate.

STRAKER- Which by the way, I keep confusing your name with STALKER. The air brake test MUST be performed on the road test. Practice that at home with your regular car. The instructors will give you something on day 1 to help you. It simplifies the air brakes test. THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSSED TO GIVE YOU ANYTHING, SO PRETEND I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING.

RTS4LIFE gave alot of info about training. Just remember you will learn all of with time. DO NOT stresss yourself out over that info. All in all, to be completely serious, DRIVING A BUS IS THE EASIEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE. No wait, I was a paperboy when I was younger. I'm sorry, being a paperboy is the easiest thing I have ever done. Good luck guys. YOU WILL ALL QUALIFY.

Chris Frusci your funny about the paper boy thing. I just wanted to thank everyone here we our like family and again if you didn't make it the first time around don't stop just keep going with all the support on here and help you will do it whatever company you work for if it's MTA Just remember that CDL is the key to all doors and a clean record you will be going somewhere sooner or later just keep your head up and do your home work. once again Good Luck to all

Thank you Harry for having this site without a new site there would not be any support like this. And I been on other sites before this one And I can say this one is the best.

Thank you all again for your help

Thank you Harry for having this site without a new site there would not be any support like this. And I been on other sites before this one And I can say this one is the best.

It's a pleasure for me to be able to provide a place that you guys can help each other out in. It's very satisfying for me to be able to see people getting advice and help about the jobs here.

Hi, i am going to the training in 14th. there are alot of useful info i got in this site. thanks guys!

just wondering do i have to go to zerega ave for the 1st 2 weeks or?

chris, you said MTA qualify road test is in the 7th day, but then the road test is in the 4th or 5th week, how many road tests do i have to take???

verydry the road test is for DMV if you didn't get your CDL already.

For MTA you have to pass in 7days if not then you go to day8,9,10 if you pass in day 7 and have a CDL then you don't go for a road test with DMV it's called 19A if you pass then day 8,9,10 you will go with other people on the Orion 7,8 model. after that you will start line training if you only have a permit then in week 3 or 4 MTA will send you out on DMV road test to get your CDL. after you pass line training you go back to the class room to get your key and badge.then

report back to the depot.And start your run.:D

Hi, i am going to the training in 14th. there are alot of useful info i got in this site. thanks guys!

just wondering do i have to go to zerega ave for the 1st 2 weeks or?

chris, you said MTA qualify road test is in the 7th day, but then the road test is in the 4th or 5th week, how many road tests do i have to take???

Day 1 I got Orientation in Brooklyn (Livingston St.). Day 2 was Zerega. Before you leave Zerega at the end of the day, they will assign you a depot and your instructor. Day 3 you report to your depot 5a.m-6a.m (depending on your instructor). This is where the 7-10days of qualification begin. You will do this in an RTS bus, unless you qualify day 7 or 9. If you qualify on one of those two days, you usually go out in the Orion V bus. You will drive for maybe 10min ,then B.S. with the others who passed in the bus. By the middle of day 10, you all will know who qualified and who didn't, cause they won't be upstairs with you. Near the end of day 10 you will pick your depot. Day 11 you report to the depot you pick. The depot union will speak to you, introduce you to the managers and superintendents of the depot. The union will take your names and you will be put on the X-tra list according to seniority. Your RDO slots will be there to. Day 12 you start line training, and you go to the union or they will have the book near the crew with what you will be doing the next day. The driver you are going out with name might be listed there to. Your RDOs stay SAT/SUN, until you graduate. Once you graduate the RDOs you picked, go into effect.

As for the road test, the MTA qualification is for everyone. That is the days 7-10. The one in the 4th or 5th weeks is for those with CDL permits, who have to take the DMV road test, to get the CDL license. If you have a permit, you have two tests to pass. MTA and DMV.

DOB2RTO:Your RDOs stay SAT/SUN, until you graduate. Once you graduate the RDOs you picked, go into effect.

You mentioned once about kissing your weekends good bye. Can't new hires pick either Saturday or Sunday off? Is Sunday double time or time and a half?

Every newbie is off Sat/Sun until you graduate. No newbie will get off Sat/Sun RDOs, until maybe your 5th or 6th year. You only can get them off prior to these years, by asking your union if you can get that day off. Not for the whole pick though.

Archived