Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

And for National League Fans, the National League 2010 Gold Gloves:

The National Central dominates the 2010 team with the Cincinnatti Reds who won their first Central Divison Pennant since 1995 and the Saint Louis Cardinals who finished second having five Gold Gloves.

The 2010 National League Team:

Catcher: Yadier Molina Saint Louis

First Base: Albert Pujols Saint Louis

Second Base: Brandon Phillips Cincinnatti

Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzski Colorado

Third Base: Scott Rolen Cincinnatti (Scott wins his third Gold Glove with his third team)

Outfield: Carlos Gonzalez Colorado

Outfield: Micheal Bourne Houston

Outfield: Shane Victorino Philadelphia

Pitcher: Bronson Arroyo Cincinnatti

For Scott Rolen, this is his eighth N.L. Gold Glove, and his first since 2006. He won three as a Philadelphia Phillie (1998-2001) and four as a Saint Louis Cardinal (2002-2005) previously.

Rawlings began presenting Gold Gloves in 1957 (when the Baseball Giants were still in Manhattan and the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn). Managers and Coaches voted on players in their own league before the regular season ended., but couldn't vote for players on their own teams.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And for National League Fans, the National League 2010 Gold Gloves:

The National Central dominates the 2010 team with the Cincinnatti Reds who won their first Central Divison Pennant since 1995 and the Saint Louis Cardinals who finished second having five Gold Gloves.

The 2010 National League Team:

Catcher: Yadier Molina Saint Louis

First Base: Albert Pujols Saint Louis

Second Base: Brandon Phillips Cincinnatti

Shortstop: Troy Tulowitzski Colorado

Third Base: Scott Rolen Cincinnatti (Scott wins his third Gold Glove with his third team)

Outfield: Carlos Gonzalez Colorado

Outfield: Micheal Bourne Houston

Outfield: Shane Victorino Philadelphia

Pitcher: Bronson Arroyo Cincinnatti

For Scott Rolen, this is his eighth N.L. Gold Glove, and his first since 2006. He won three as a Philadelphia Phillie (1998-2001) and four as a Saint Louis Cardinal (2002-2005) previously.

Rawlings began presenting Gold Gloves in 1957 (when the Baseball Giants were still in Manhattan and the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn). Managers and Coaches voted on players in their own league before the regular season ended., but couldn't vote for players on their own teams.

While I don't agree with everyone on this list either, this 2010 NL gold golve selection was much fairer and acurate than the AL winners.:tup:

Dude are you jealous of Jeter or something? At least he not a jerk like your buddy Terrel Owens. Or Randy Moss and the queen 'diva' Brett Favre.

I agree FG Jeter is overrated and overpaid and Yank fans don't want to face reality 'father time' is starting to take hold on Jeter. However, almost all sports stars and those in Hollywood these days are also overpaid, so why the anger at Derek.

I agree. Sure Jeter is past his prime, but I don't understand this 'throw him under the bus' mentality. Jeter did deliver a number of good years. The only thing is, he shouldn't expect a big payday. Otherwise, the man deserves the respect for his past service.

That's what I mean, if he asks for too much, then yes: let him go. But it doesn't explain why you are always down on him like he's a has been. He's not only contributed all his career, but he's the face of the organization.

Even if he costs like $18mil+ per, he will earn the team a few millions of $ in ad revenue. He's like Matsui, a brand 'name'. It isn't about his plays, it's also the name/face recognition. I mean sure Rivera and CC have done some commercials for subway or such, but it's not the same as Jeter and Ford, Gillette, etc.

How many more seasons do you think jeter has left as an everyday player? this is a guy who will resist being a part time player no matter what.

I think max: 2 years at short if he's healthy and then 2 more if he stays in the outfield or DH.

I agree. Sure Jeter is past his prime, but I don't understand this 'throw him under the bus' mentality. Jeter did deliver a number of good years. The only thing is, he shouldn't expect a big payday. Otherwise, the man deserves the respect for his past service.

Well said bro. The Yanks and Jeter will be making headlines and $$$ next May-June(if he stays healthy)when he gets 3,000 hits and basically an automatic bid to Cooperstown.

Seattle Mariners Broadcaster Dave Niehaus has left us at age 75.

He called the first game in Mariners' history on April 6, 1977 and through 2010, missed only 101 games, calling 5,284 of the Mariners 5,385 games in 34 seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb.news/story?id=5789958

Sorry to hear his passing. The last couple of years starting with Phils HOF Broadcaster Harry Kalas dying. Then it's been a bunch after.:)

For a few Met fans hoping that Bobby Valentine would return to the club, well bad news.

According to AOL News Sports and other reports, Valentine will now be promoted to ESPN's 'lead' MLB announcing team that includes Sunday Night Baseball. If true, Valentine will be part of a new crew that replaces Jon Miller and Joe Morgan for 2011 season.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/12/report-valentine-hershiser-shulman-new-voices-of-sunday-nigh/

For a few Met fans hoping that Bobby Valentine would return to the club, well bad news.

According to AOL News Sports and other reports, Valentine will now be promoted to ESPN's 'lead' MLB announcing team that includes Sunday Night Baseball. If true, Valentine will be part of a new crew that replaces Jon Miller and Joe Morgan for 2011 season.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/12/report-valentine-hershiser-shulman-new-voices-of-sunday-nigh/

Not to mention, looks like either former MLB skippers Terry Collins formerly of the Angels or Ex-D' Backs head man Bob Melvin will be the next manager of the Mets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2010/11/14/2010-11-14_mets_managerial_search_terry_collins_bob_melvin_favorites_tim_tuefel_nay_be_firs.html

If true how does our friends on the boards who are Met fans like Locomotion or R68 aka Andrew Johnson feel on the choice?

Well said bro. The Yanks and Jeter will be making headlines and $$$ next May-June(if he stays healthy)when he gets 3,000 hits and basically an automatic bid to Cooperstown.

yeah, he'll make headlines alright....

watch Jeter turn into Favre, as his career wanes on... He's gonna be one of those guys that "gets by" on his name, as far as actual ability goes...

as far as off-field & media related stories are concerned, he's gonna obtain (added) publicity exuding a diva type of attitude...

- I'm not saying Jeter's gonna be one of these miserable, gary sheffield types...

- I'm saying he's gonna be one of those guys that knows that he's not as sharp as he used to be on the field.. in turn, he's gonna find SOME way of keeping the limelight shined bright on HIM.

How many more american express commercials can one do?

Not to mention, looks like either former MLB skippers Terry Collins formerly of the Angels or Ex-D' Backs head man Bob Melvin will be the next manager of the Mets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2010/11/14/2010-11-14_mets_managerial_search_terry_collins_bob_melvin_favorites_tim_tuefel_nay_be_firs.html

If true how does our friends on the boards who are Met fans like Locomotion or R68 aka Andrew Johnson feel on the choice?

I wanted Hurdle, but oh well, it's not like the Mets were going to contend next year anyway. Wally Backman is waiting in the wings to take over in a couple of years. New manager should get no more then a 2 yr deal with an 3rd year as an option.

Seattle Mariners Broadcaster Dave Niehaus has left us at age 75.

He called the first game in Mariners' history on April 6, 1977 and through 2010, missed only 101 games, calling 5,284 of the Mariners 5,385 games in 34 seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb.news/story?id=5789958

I couldn't stand his voice, every time a Mariners game was on the MLB Extra Innings I would mute the sound, then again the Mariners weren't worth watching last year, but I like to watch them for Ichiro and Felix H.

Terry Collins managed for six seasons in the 1990's and his first season was his best. On strike day, he had guided the 1994 Houston Astros to a 66-49 record. In 1995 he guided the Astros to a 76-68 season and in 1996 to an 82-80 season. Moving to the Los Angeles Angels, he guided them to a 84-78 season, in 1998 to an 85-77 season and in 1999 he was fired with the Angels at 51-82.

Bob Melvin managed for seven seasons. In 2003, he guided the Seattle Mariners to a 93-69 season then in 2004 he was fired after the Mariners finished 63-99. In 2005 he became the manager of the Arizona DiamondBacks and guided them to a 77-85 season (the year after the D-Backs finished 51-111). In 2006, he guided them to a 76-86 season, in 2007 to the D-Backs' fourth N.L. West Division title with 90-72, in 2008 to an 82-80 season and he was fired with the D-Backs 12-17 in 2009.

I wanted Hurdle, but oh well, it's not like the Mets were going to contend next year anyway. Wally Backman is waiting in the wings to take over in a couple of years. New manager should get no more then a 2 yr deal with an 3rd year as an option.

If not Backman or Valentine, i agree locomotion that the Mets next best choice for a recycled *cough* 'experienced manager should had been Hurdle. He guided the Rockies to the 2007 World Series and was Rangers Skipper Ron Washington 'right hand man' (aka Bench Coach/Asst. Manager)in leading Texas to the 2010 WS.:tdown:

Hurdle I think will do a good job with the Pirates if he can get ownership to spend on talent.

Ryne Sandberg is back! Ryno, popular former Cub, who went on hiatus after the Cubs named Mike Quade their manager has signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Ryno will manage the Phillies' class AAA International League team, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

In 2010, he was Pacific Coast League Manager of The Year for guiding the Iowa Cubs to an 82-62 season, tying for first place in the Northern Division.

Ironically, Ryne Sandberg was drafted by the Phillies, but was traded to the Cubs in 1982.

Ryne Sandberg is back! Ryno, popular former Cub, who went on hiatus after the Cubs named Mike Quade their manager has signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Ryno will manage the Phillies' class AAA International League team, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

In 2010, he was Pacific Coast League Manager of The Year for guiding the Iowa Cubs to an 82-62 season, tying for first place in the Northern Division.

Ironically, Ryne Sandberg was drafted by the Phillies, but was traded to the Cubs in 1982.

It could be that the Phillies is looking for a replacement soon for Charlie Manuel who not a spring chicken and in his '60's age wise. Manuel also had heart issues so I guess they are preparing for his retirement.

And the winners are for the first major post season awards in MLB for 2010. the Rookies of the year are Rangers Reliever Neftali Feliz in the AL, and from the new WS champions Giants Catcher Buster Posey Win in the NL.

Posney in a close race beat out the Braves Jason Haywerth.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-15/rangers-reliever-feliz-giants-catcher-posey-win-mlb-rookie-of-year-awards.html

2B Dan Uggla, formerly of the Florida Marlins, has been traded to the Atlanta Braves for LHP Mike Dunn and IF Omar Infante.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/16/braves-acquire-dan-uggla-from-marlins-for-omar-infante-mike-dun/?synd=1

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/braves-to-acquire-dan-uggla.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Around the league:

Phillies resign RHP Jose Contreras.

Cardinals resign RHP Jake Westbrook.

Dodgers resign RHP Hiroki Kuroda.

Reds resign C Ramon Hernandez.

Padres acquired CF Cameron Maybin from the Marlins, sending RHP Ryan Webb and RHP Edward Mujica.

Red Sox claimed RHP Taylor Buchholz (no relation to Clay).

Diamondbacks signed IN Geoff Blum.

And the Pirates hired Clint Hurdle for their manager.

The Mets have narrowed down their search for manager to 4 candidates:

Terry Collins

Bob Melvin

Wally Backman

& Chip Hale.

Archived