Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is little opposition to expanding Major League Baseball's Postseason, and it's looking favorable that two (2) more WildCard teams will be added beginning in 2012.

With the season likely staying at 162 games, it will be interesting to see how MLB sets up the new Postseason over the next year plus.

*162 game regular season (18 Interleague Games)

Five (5) American League and five (5) National League teams qualify:

* The three (3) division winners, second place team with the best record, and second place team with the second best record.

Previously, from 1995 through 2011, the Division Series (best 3 games out of 5) was four even teams and the winners went on to the League Championship Series.

Pending final approval, the Division Series will become five teams beginning in 2012. I think MLB may have to end up having a very short one game division series, likely with the second place team with the best record versus the second place team with the second best record and push the League Division Series back one day to accomodate it (Just my opinion as a baseball fan - nothing official).

One drawback I see with a very short one game division series, if MLB goes that route, is a team that plays hard to reach the postseason could be wiped out in only one game (i.e. the Metropolitans win 90 games but lose to the Cardinals; the White Sox win 90 games but lose to the Red Sox; Cardinals then go to the L.D.S. with the Phillies, Reds, and Giants; Red Sox then go on to the L.D.S. with the Yankees, Twins, and Rangers).

It will be interesting, also, how season ending tiebreakers are determined with the three (3) division winners and two (2) second place teams qualifying.

No word if the League Division Series is expanding to a best four games out of seven.

There is little opposition to expanding Major League Baseball's Postseason, and it's looking favorable that two (2) more WildCard teams will be added beginning in 2012.

With the season likely staying at 162 games, it will be interesting to see how MLB sets up the new Postseason over the next year plus.

*162 game regular season (18 Interleague Games)

Five (5) American League and five (5) National League teams qualify:

* The three (3) division winners, second place team with the best record, and second place team with the second best record.

Previously, from 1995 through 2011, the Division Series (best 3 games out of 5) was four even teams and the winners went on to the League Championship Series.

Pending final approval, the Division Series will become five teams beginning in 2012. I think MLB may have to end up having a very short one game division series, likely with the second place team with the best record versus the second place team with the second best record and push the League Division Series back one day to accomodate it (Just my opinion as a baseball fan - nothing official).

One drawback I see with a very short one game division series, if MLB goes that route, is a team that plays hard to reach the postseason could be wiped out in only one game (i.e. the Metropolitans win 90 games but lose to the Cardinals; the White Sox win 90 games but lose to the Red Sox; Cardinals then go to the L.D.S. with the Phillies, Reds, and Giants; Red Sox then go on to the L.D.S. with the Yankees, Twins, and Rangers).

It will be interesting, also, how season ending tiebreakers are determined with the three (3) division winners and two (2) second place teams qualifying.

No word if the League Division Series is expanding to a best four games out of seven.

If the regular season stays at 162, then the division series IMO must stay at best 3 out of 5 games. The regular season is too damn long and the later stages of the world series should never end the first few days of November.

I did support this extra teams making the post season. However I thought the regular season was being cut to 154-156 games though.

Bud Selig and MLB Owners are hypcrocrites. If the 162 game regular season continues, even if you start the season in late March, you still will likely play the 7th game of the world series around Nov. 1-2, anyhow most years.

A big reason why the world series has gotten record low ratings in US IMO, is fact the WS is ending to accomdate Fox-TV it's main TV partner and having it fall on the critical November 'sweeps' ratings period. In other words Fox Boss Rupert Mudrock ego ruinning Baseball on Free TV.

I know it's a business but what clueless people running MLB.:tdown:

A major controversy has occured in the selection of Mariners "King" Felix Hernendez as 2010 AL Cy Young Winner. "King" set an infamous mark for lowest win total ever for a stater to win the Cy Young in a full season.

Rays David Price and the Yanks CC Sabtahia finished 3rd place?

For our baseball commentators like EE Local, Forest Glen, B35, Locomotion, R68, etc. is this is the correct choice by the Baseball writers?:confused:

Major league baseball is a step closer to expanding its' Postseason for 2012.

The next vote comes December 7th, but we have:

*162 game regular season (18 Interleague games/6 City/Area games)

*5 American League 5 National League Teams qualify (3 Division Winners, Second Place teams with the best record and second best record)

Postseason:

Division Prelimanary Series (ALDPS, NLDPS)

Second place team with best record Vs. Second place team with second best record

(To be determined - Short One Game Series or Best Three Games Out Of Five)

League Division Series (ALDS, NLDS)

Same as 1995-2011, but could include Second place team with second best record

(To be determined - Best Three Games out of Five or Best Four games out of seven)

League Championship Series (ALCS, NLCS)

World Series (WS)

If the new ALDPS and new NLDPS had been in place in 2010:

*The White Sox would've qualified with 88-74 and been hosted by the Yankees (95-67)

*The Padres would've qualified with 90-72 and been hosted by the Braves (91-71).

Potentially, a team could play 186 games maximum and 182 games minimum in 2012.

Looks like Omar Minaya may not be in the Mets organization next year. The Diamondbacks have offered him a job as special assistant to the GM. It also appears that the Mets will have new manager in a few days. The interviews have finished, so all we have to do is wait.

Looks like Omar Minaya may not be in the Mets organization next year. The Diamondbacks have offered him a job as special assistant to the GM. It also appears that the Mets will have new manager in a few days. The interviews have finished, so all we have to do is wait.

If I was a Mets fan I would not be thrilled with the '2' finalists of either Collins or Melvin. Of those two guys, Melvin is the lesser of two evils. With that said, Wally Backman should be hired on the staff IMO maybe as a 3rd Base or Bench Coach assuming it's Melvin or Collins.

The Yankees offered Jeter 3 years, 21 million per year (which is akin to a C student getting accepted to Yale). Jeter wants 4 years. I wish the Yankees would stop trying to assuage Jeter's ego. They can win without him.

It's not that he wants 4 years.... it's that he wants more $$$/year....

If they obliged in giving him the same 7 mil/year over 4 yrs (which is 28 mil), he'd say he'd want 5 years...

Notice with these athletes that are past their prime who's prior contracts have expired, they always want "one more year" than the offer the team resigning, puts in front of them....

The Yankees offered Jeter 3 years, 21 million per year (which is akin to a C student getting accepted to Yale). Jeter wants 4 years. I wish the Yankees would stop trying to assuage Jeter's ego. They can win without him.

I still don't agree with you about Jeter. The Yankees at least made the offer and have put the ball in Jeter's court. It's up to Jeter if he wants to walk. It's smarter to make Jeter look like the greedy villain than to not bother to make him an offer.

This is why fans on whatever Yankees websites you go to clash with you. It's showing disrespect for a guy that did much for the team over the years. If Jeter takes it, then good. If he rejects it, then the yankees media can show him as an egomaniac and wash their hands.

Dealing with players and salaries isn't just one on one, it's also about the ownership's image and the public/media.

A major controversy has occured in the selection of Mariners "King" Felix Hernendez as 2010 AL Cy Young Winner. "King" set an infamous mark for lowest win total ever for a stater to win the Cy Young in a full season.

Rays David Price and the Yanks CC Sabtahia finished 3rd place?

For our baseball commentators like EE Local, Forest Glen, B35, Locomotion, R68, etc. is this is the correct choice by the Baseball writers?:confused:

Yes. He was a great pitcher on an awful team. It is not his fault he could not get wins.

yeah, with this recent trend, next year someone will end up w/ 10 wins with a 2.(something) era & end up winning the award....

If he rejects it, then the yankees media can show him as an egomaniac and wash their hands.

Although I think 7 mil/year is a slap in the face for the guy (much like that BS contract they offered Torre before he left... LMAO), it's exactly what I'm waiting for Jeter to do.... Life goes on...

Quite frankly, I'd set my sights on appeasing Mo than I would Jeter at this point...

Dealing with players and salaries isn't just one on one, it's also about the ownership's image and the public/media.

..and their budget.

The Yankees did f**k up, taking on A-Rod's contract off from Texas, and appending more $$$ to it....

This made resigning players from that point on, in the future (like, now) that much more tougher....

The Yankees did f**k up, taking on A-Rod's contract off from Texas, and appending more $$$ to it....

This made resigning players from that point on, in the future (like, now) that much more tougher....

Agreed. More than George(his last major free agent signing before his recent passing)the guy that f**k up is former Rangers Owners Dan Hicks who signed A Rod to that outragous contract in the first place.

Hicks did more to ruin MLB in last decade than anyone. The A ROD contract also almost runied the Texas club and it took years until this past season.:mad::tdown:

Mets to name Collins next manager

In the end, experience and demeanor won out. The Mets have hired Terry Collins to be their next manager, a source confirmed early Sunday evening.

An official announcement could come as soon as Sunday night, after the two sides agree to contract terms. The Mets have yet to comment on the hiring. A news conference is likely for Tuesday.

Collins, 61, is coming off his first season as Mets' Minor League field coordinator, following jobs managing the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Central League and the Chinese national team in the World Baseball Classic.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101121&content_id=16169928&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Well, what do you guys think?

That's excellent! I'd have someone who leads the Mets to many wins, even if he is not exciting. Good choice. :tup::tup::tup:

Are you aware of Collins 'legal problems including his arrest for DWI although it was years ago.

Although not thrilled of either Collins or the other finalist Bob Melvin (I am not a Mets fan)I would have selected Melvin since he did take the D-Backs once to the playoffs. While Collins has never been to the post season as Skipper of either the Angels or Astros.

Omar Minaya says that he has several job offers yet he says he is no hurry, go figure. The Mets have to pay him 1.1 million for each of the next 2 years. Safe bet that none of

the assistant GM job offers that he has pays as much.

Omar is a very good scout and judge of talent and could work well as Asst. GM or something similar aka #2 executive to a GM. However he had a chance with the Mets as a GM and got canned so he should not be get a chance again as a Head of Baseball Operations/Chief Executive. Just my takes.

If reports are true, free-agent Catcher Victor Martinez, 31, is saying so long to the Boston Red Sox and hello to the Detroit Tigers. Reports are the Tigers deal is for four years and $50 million.

The Red Sox had expressed interest in resigning him (along with Third Baseman Adrian Beltre), but were outbid along with the Baltimore Orioles and Chicago White Sox.

Victor Martinez is a switch hitter and has a career .300 average. He was acquired by the Red Sox in July 2009 in a trade with the Cleveland Indians. A four time All Star, he also plays first base in addition to catching.

If reports are true, free-agent Catcher Victor Martinez, 31, is saying so long to the Boston Red Sox and hello to the Detroit Tigers. Reports are the Tigers deal is for four years and $50 million.

The Red Sox had expressed interest in resigning him (along with Third Baseman Adrian Beltre), but were outbid along with the Baltimore Orioles and Chicago White Sox.

Victor Martinez is a switch hitter and has a career .300 average. He was acquired by the Red Sox in July 2009 in a trade with the Cleveland Indians. A four time All Star, he also plays first base in addition to catching.

He is a liability defensively. He will be 32 next month, pretty risky to sign him to a 4 yr deal don't you think?

His lifetime stats at Comerica park are pretty bad. .225 BA

in 47 games at the spacious ballpark

Archived