Hot Stove MLB News Off season 2010-11

Shortline Bus

Are you aware of Collins 'legal problems including his arrest for DWI although it was years ago.

Although not thrilled of either Collins or the other finalist Bob Melvin (I am not a Mets fan)I would have selected Melvin since he did take the D-Backs once to the playoffs. While Collins has never been to the post season as Skipper of either the Angels or Astros.

Bakcman has had his share of legal problems, too. He was arrested too for DUI, and he got into a fight with involving his wife and her friend.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask any Mets fan and they would rather have Backman then Collins. Wally was on the 86 World Series Team, what kind of career did Collins have as a player? silence.......

I know he retired, but I would have loved to have Lou Piniella as the Mets manager.

He would have gotten into the faces of some of these slackers on the team.

Ask any Mets fan and they would rather have Backman then Collins. Wally was on the 86 World Series Team, what kind of career did Collins have as a player? silence........

Being on the World Series team as a player means nothing.

Walter Alston had one plate appearance in his career (a strikeout), yet he led the Dodgers to 4 World Series, including the one they won in 1955.

Grady Little never played in the World Series or the big leagues, yet he was popular with his players and led the Sox to the ALCS in 2003 (even though they lost).

Buck Showalter never played in the big leagues, yet he's been successful as a manager with the Yankees and Orioles.

Frank Robinson won many World Series as a player, yet as a manager he has lost more games than won, and many times was he called the worst manager.

I still don't agree with you about Jeter. The Yankees at least made the offer and have put the ball in Jeter's court. It's up to Jeter if he wants to walk. It's smarter to make Jeter look like the greedy villain than to not bother to make him an offer.

This is why fans on whatever Yankees websites you go to clash with you. It's showing disrespect for a guy that did much for the team over the years. If Jeter takes it, then good. If he rejects it, then the yankees media can show him as an egomaniac and wash their hands.

Dealing with players and salaries isn't just one on one, it's also about the ownership's image and the public/media.

maybe it's time for him to pack his bags and go elsewhere....

Former Pitcher Danny McDevitt left us Saturday at 78. He's remembered in Brooklyn as the pitcher who started Brooklyn's final home game at Ebbets Field on September 24,1957.

In that game, McDevitt pitched a complete game and struck out nine in a 2-0 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

For his career, Danny McDevitt pitched for seven seasons with the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers, Minnesota Twins, and Kansas City Athletics. He returned to New York City (The Bronx) with the Yankees in 1961 going 1 and 2 with a 7.62 before being traded to the Minnesota Twins that season. Overall, he was 21-27 with a 4.40 ERA and seven saves.

A New Yorker by birth, Danny McDevitt was born in New York City on November 18, 1932. He attended Saint Bonaventure University in Olean (Catteraugus County). He was a resident of Social Circle, Georgia when he left us.

As a Brooklyn Dodger in 1957, he was 7 and 4 with a 3.25 ERA. The Dodgers finished as Major League Baseball's most successful final franchise. Though ageing, the Dodgers still finished 84-70 in the National League and 43-34 at Ebbets Field, attracting 1,028,258 for the 77 home games at Ebbets Field.

The final home game attracted only 6,702 as fans mostly stayed home during the Dodgers' final five home games.

yeah, with this recent trend, next year someone will end up w/ 10 wins with a 2.(something) era & end up winning the award....

Although I think 7 mil/year is a slap in the face for the guy (much like that BS contract they offered Torre before he left... LMAO), it's exactly what I'm waiting for Jeter to do.... Life goes on...

Quite frankly, I'd set my sights on appeasing Mo than I would Jeter at this point...

..and their budget.

The Yankees did f**k up, taking on A-Rod's contract off from Texas, and appending more $$$ to it....

This made resigning players from that point on, in the future (like, now) that much more tougher....

Agreed. I'm not saying keep Jeter at all costs. Getting Rivera signed on and maybe landing Lee are the top priorities. I'm only saying the management should make a 'decent offer' and cover their ground. But to not even make an offer at all and let Jeter walk without offering anything is what I don't agree with.

To me if Jeter walks, no big deal to me. But at least with the offer known, then he'll be shown as a 'me first' player and can be cast off as the selfish individual. That's my point.

Tigers finalize contract with Victor Martinez (C/1B/DH)

Years: 4

Cash: $50 Million

"Victor Martinez's four-year, $50 million contract with the Tigers became official on Friday and the slugging catcher/designated hitter was certainly excited about it in an introductory teleconference with Tigers CEO and general manager Dave Dombrowski and his agent Scott Pucino.

"I'm really looking forward to coming here to Detroit," Martinez said. "I know this organization because I played in the [American League] Central most of my career with the Indians and I've always seen the Tigers have looked to make improvements. So, I think they're giving a great chance to put a ring on my finger."

A switch-hitter, Martinez is expected to give the Tigers middle-of-the-order protection from both sides of the plate and the flexibility to catch, play first base and serve as a designated hitter. Dombrowski said Martinez is expected to catch one or two times a week while mostly seeing time as a DH and occasionally playing first base."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101126&content_id=16214128&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

"Victor Martinez's four-year, $50 million contract with the Tigers became official on Friday and the slugging catcher/designated hitter was certainly excited about it in an introductory teleconference with Tigers CEO and general manager Dave Dombrowski and his agent Scott Pucino.

"I'm really looking forward to coming here to Detroit," Martinez said. "I know this organization because I played in the [American League] Central most of my career with the Indians and I've always seen the Tigers have looked to make improvements. So, I think they're giving a great chance to put a ring on my finger."

A switch-hitter, Martinez is expected to give the Tigers middle-of-the-order protection from both sides of the plate and the flexibility to catch, play first base and serve as a designated hitter. Dombrowski said Martinez is expected to catch one or two times a week while mostly seeing time as a DH and occasionally playing first base."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101126&content_id=16214128&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I hope he moves to another position or even becomes a full time DH. Martinez is still a good hitter/HR Threat but as a Catcher defensive he almost

as bad Jorge.

Still very good pick up by the Motown Team and could help them challenge the Twins in AL Central.

The LA Dodgers signed free agent Jon Garland.

"Garland will be guaranteed $5 million for 2011 with an $8 million option in 2012 that becomes guaranteed if he reaches 190 innings in 2011. He has reached that number in all nine seasons since he became a full-time starter.

Garland rejoins the Dodgers after a year in San Diego and essentially becomes the fifth starter after youngsters Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley and the more-seasoned Ted Lilly and Hiroki Kuroda, each of whom re-signed earlier this offseason."

Source: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101126&content_id=16214804&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

last year, they got rid of Granderson & ended up obtaining Damon...

now they're getting this guy Victor Martinez - watch someone like Bonderman or Maggs (Magglio Ordonez) end up walking, since they weren't offered arbitration....

iono what they're trying to accomplish... they're not re-building, it's like they're de-building (lol... I know that's not a word)... what I mean is, they're not even taking a step forward - but they're taking those 2 steps back....

Still very good pick up by the Motown Team and could help them challenge the Twins in AL Central.

I disagree w/ that stance...

Victor Martinez had better days during his (first) stint w/ the Indians... I don't see how he could help a] the Tigers, anymore than the sorry state that they're in, and especially b] challenge the Twins in that division... hell, I think the White Sox (as subpar as they've been, ever since that last WS win) have a better chance of catching the Twins....

he didn't do much of anything while in Boston for the, what, year & a half he was there... I have no feeling whatsoever that this guy's gonna break out (by that, I mean have a big year offensively) now that he's with Detroit... especially in that ballpark (Comerica)...

Posada is the perfect comparison to Martinez; that much I will give you....

Honestly, if Jeter wants $150 million for 6 years, offer him less or let him walk. I was one of the people to say that he should get whatever he wants, but $23 million or more coming off your worst offensive season ever at the age of 37 just doesn't work for me. He's becoming a less and less vital part of the Yankee's success on the field as the years go by. I'm not willing to pay him more than $20 million to come back.

He originally wanted 6 years $150 million. Now he's asking for 5 years $22-$24 million

that's a huge dropoff from 25mil/year to 5mil/year....

the man's getting desperate.

This is Jeter showing his true colors.....

......He thinks he's as talented as A-Rod.

*nods head*

Why do you think A-Rod was the one that had to learn a new position in order in becoming a Yankee.... people forget A-Rod was a SS on those Mariners/Rangers teams.... and a damn good one at that defensively too....

Versatility is not in this man's resume (Jeter, I mean)....

This is why I laugh at ppl. when they bring up Jeter resorting to play OF, for less money at that....

Again why the dislike for Jeter FG? Jealous he might marry the actress/supermodel Ms. Kelly?

Well the media is reporting jeter and his agent are lowering their asking price.

You're starting to sound like those two clowns on ESPN; Mike (Golic) & Mike (Greenberg)....

These idiots won't open their eyes and see that Yankee fans are NOT on Jeter's "side" when it comes to all this...

I'm willing to bet that if you ask most us Yankee fans, we either want him here at a MUCH lower rate than that of his past contract, or gone entirely...

I mean, look at how many offers that's been mentioned either through him, his agent, or the yankees themselves, so far....

all of a sudden, it's Jeter hate when ANY type of unfavorable criticism is mentioned, regarding the man...

Compare the hate people have for the Yankee franchise...

now Compare that to the hate people have for A-Rod....

then now Compare that to the supposed hate FG (hell, throw me in this category too) has for Jeter....

you kiddin me?

It's not even hate. I'm just tired of Jeter always getting a free pass from the fans and the media. He can do no wrong. The whole point of a team is everyone being equal. If A-Rod asked for a raise after slugging .370 then he'd be chased out of town.

FG thanks for clearing up. The way you sounded, you make out that Jeter was Bucky Dent. Derek is a 1st ballot future Hall of Famer.

I did agree with you FG, that Jeter should take a pay cut if you read carefully earlier on this chat.

Just the point i disagree was the fact, that fact he was overrated that all.:confused:

The Yankee fan on Yankees.com were also 'way off line' in trying to also pay him the nearly $20 Million a season he got in the last contract that just ended.

As part of the new contract, If i was Mr. Cashman, I would only gurantee in the 2011 season, Derek only 1 year at Shortshop and then after make room for that 'hot' prospect. (forgot his name) Then in 2012, if everything goes to plan have Jeter at 3rd Base or the Outfield and "A-Rod' as the full time DH.

Just my takes.:eek:

Looks like the Mets are close to signing RHP Chris Young:

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/11/29/mets-nearing-deal-for-chris-young/

Mets Nearing Deal for Chris Young

By Michael Baron on Nov 29, 2010, 7:27 pm

According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Mets are close to signing RHP Chris Young.

The 31 year old Young has made just 36 starts over the past three seasons as he’s battled shoulder problems. He made just four starts in 2010, going 2-0 with a 0.90 ERA in 20 innings.

In 2007, his last full season, Young went 9-8 with a 3.12 ERA in 30 starts for the Padres and made his first and only All-Star team.

This past weekend, I wrote:

Brandon Webb, along with someone like Chris Young are pitchers I would expect the Mets to be interested in this winter – guys who will take short term commitments with high upside in order to not lock themselves into any high priced, long term contracts beyond 2011.

I’m not so surprised the Mets signed Young – however, I am a little surprised the Mets moved so quickly to sign him.

I like the move, and if he’s healthy, he can be great pickup and slot nicely into their rotation. He’s historically been a flyball pitcher which makes him a great fit at Citi Field. The biggest question, of course, is his health, and I’m sure his physical is no slam dunk right now given the shoulder problems he’s had over the last three seasons.

EDIT: I want to add that Jamie Moyer is going to have Tommy John Surgery. However, he still plans to play for 2012.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20101130_Moyer_plans_elbow_surgery_but_not_retirement.html

On opening day 2012, he'll be 49.

Go get them, Moyer.

that's a huge dropoff from 25mil/year to 5mil/year....

the man's getting desperate.

*nods head*

Why do you think A-Rod was the one that had to learn a new position in order in becoming a Yankee.... people forget A-Rod was a SS on those Mariners/Rangers teams.... and a damn good one at that defensively too....

Versatility is not in this man's resume (Jeter, I mean)....

This is why I laugh at ppl. when they bring up Jeter resorting to play OF, for less money at that....

I agree. Jeter could've offered to move to 2B for A-Rod, but that he wouldn't budge on.

I've said it before at most Jeter deserves 2-4years tops [last 2 in OF or DH]. Any more than that is absurd. And he doesn't deserve anything over $15mil per in a down year. I'd rather let Jeter walk and save that money for Cliff Lee.

Troy Tulowitzki just received a 10 year, 157 million dollar contract. I personally think that no contract should last more than 6 years since a player can decline in 10 years. Nevertheless, Troy is a lot more talented than Jeter.

That why that idiot former Texas Owner Hicks made one of the worst free agent signing in pro sports history in that absurd $250 Million (I think)10-year contract he made with A-Rod(steriods)or not.

It took the Rangers years to recover from that disater. However good point FG, Tulowitzi is one of the top 5 baseball players on the planet right now going into 2011, but he was also overpaid.

The White Sox have signed 1B/DH Adam Dunn to a $56 million, 4 - year contract:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/white-sox-have-serious-interest-in-adam-dunn.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

»

White Sox To Sign Adam Dunn

By Tim Dierkes [December 2, 2010 at 4:53pm CST]

The White Sox added one of the game's most consistent sluggers today, locking Adam Dunn up to a four-year $56MM deal. The team has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow and will make the signing official then.

Dunn settled for a two-year, $20MM deal when he last hit free agency, but his representation at Legacy Sports was aggressive this time, setting their client up with the biggest contract so far this offseason and nearly tripling the value of Dunn's previous deal.

Dunn has hit 38 or more homers in each of the past seven seasons. He boasts a career .250/.381/.521 line with 354 home runs in ten seasons. Few players are as durable as the 31-year-old, who has appeared in 150 or more games in eight of nine seasons since becoming a regular.

It's not clear how often Dunn will play in the field, but that likely depends on Chicago's pursuit of free agent first baseman Paul Konerko. Dunn appeared reluctant to be a full-time DH despite criticisms of his defensive play.

The Nationals, who discussed extensions with the slugger all season long, will obtain a supplementary first rounder plus Chicago's 23rd overall pick in next year's draft. Adam LaRoche and Carlos Pena are Washington's most likely first base targets, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter).

Crasnick reported that the White Sox had serious interest in Dunn, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported that the sides were closing in on a deal and Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times reported the terms of the contract. Peter Gammons of MLB Network and Bob Nightengale of USA Today also reported elements of the story on Twitter.

Archived