What is MTA bus company?

Eastman346

what exactly is mta bus company? I know its the old private bus companies. But did mta take over all of them? Are they any left over.

As you know MTA Bus was created mainly to absorb the 7 private bus lines (Liberty Lines, Queens Surface, New York Bus Service, Command, Jamaica Bus Lines, Green Bus Lines, and Triboro Coach). Overall, I think MTA Bus was also created to absorb NYCT and LI Bus in order to make it one central bus division.

Did the city make them sell out to the MTA or was it their choice?

Or how exactly did it happen?

IIRC, the city stop funding/was with-holding money, that was to pay the private operators, which essentially starved them out of business. The buses started going down the toilet, and some of their contracts were not renewed.

what exactly is mta bus company? I know its the old private bus companies. But did mta take over all of them? Are they any left over.

If you want to count Atlantic Express who runs the X23/24, then one is left, somewhat. I don't think the MCI D4000-4500 with the LED signs are owned by the city though, since AE uses them on charters also, but I could be wrong. I know the Van-Hools are bought and owned by AE, along with the older buses. As a matter of fact the AE coaches mainly have NJ plates now.

Is mta bus in charge of express bus service?

Yea but the route designation aren't the traditional X-##. They are designated as QM,BM, BxM and until recently BQM. Its too bad though that MTA Bus couldn't change their paint scheme like inverting the colors and making it a blue base with white graphics. What would you guys do with the paint scheme?

Archived