Most annoying subway beggars

lilbluefoxie

One way to figure out if Candy-sellers are actually selling them for school is check the box for a school logo or a donation sticker. And also it is against the chancellor's regulation to sell chocolate or sugary sweets inside school buildings.

The most annoying beggar I've meet is the guy wearing Jordan's, and a baseball cap, and a basketball jersey and calling himself homeless.

I heard the subway beggar on the (A) train, his jokes were hilarious, however I don't think he was homeless.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a homeless guy who did standup on the (F) about 15 or so years ago. His best line was when he reminded everyone to take their trash off the train when exiting because he had company coming over at the next stop.

I think that's the same guy that would do it on the (A) train cause I remember that last line. He would do jokes about how fat his wife was and would end it with that joke about getting people to take their trash cause he had company. I wonder what happened to him. Hope he didn't drop dead or something. He was pretty funny.

1. Singers singing in subway EARLY MORNING (when most of passengers are not awake)

2. All kinds of homeless begging, including blind women with crutches walking from car to car.

3. Candy for donation (some do for school donation.

4. Selling overprice candy in subway or station.

5. Chinese lady selling DVDS on subway or station platform.

6. Chinese lady selling Batteries and other children's toys.

7. Stunt guys doing stunt in crowded train.

working midnights i have seen some strange stuff. the few that stick out in my mind is the crack head giving lap dances and pole dancing for money on the (4). on the (E)there was a dirty magician. my favorite is the pregnant lady that has been pregnant for the past 5 years asking for gas money to get back to the south. or the man with no legs.

The chinese ladies selling the bootleg DVDs, the now the ones selling the batteries I can deal with them. The kids selling candy for a basketball team which I highly doubt.

I wondered if the battery sellers were still there. "Wanna buy some AA Powercells?"

I remember one who would come through offering inexpensive pens.

Last week, this author (link below) came on the (F) and was selling autographed copies of his new book for $10. It's a real book, and were not bootleg/illegal copies or whatnot. One guy bought it. THe guy was very cordial, though a bit loud (he announced the book is also on the kindle, which I found pretty funny)

http://www.queensledger.com/view/full_story/4322729/article-Book-Review--Its-road-trip-time-for-an-American-Moses?instance=weather_QL

Discuss the most annoying people begging for money in the subway.

Here's my top 3

3) the random guy shoving styrafoam cup in your face

2) the kids selling overpriced candy

1) the United Homeless guy with the sandwiches, (however he got really happy when i gave him a dollar coin once)

Thankfully I only use the subways at most 3-4x a month usually on weekends so i avoid the subway 'beggars.'

However late at night on Main St in Poughkeepsie and also in Downtown Newburgh you see a ton of 'panhandlers' along with drug addicts and call girls as well.B)

I wouldn't say these guys are annoying, but actually rather funny.

1) The "basketball coach" that rides the (N) train. I haven't seen him recently, but he would always say "I ride the (N) because N stands for Nice People." Then if you didn't give him money, he would ask for a smile

2) TRAINMAN! I haven't seen this guy in person yet, but I've heard he tends to ride the (4)(5)(6). There are some videos of him on youtube. I highly suggest watching them if you are bored.

3) This has been mentioned before, but "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. My name is [insert name]. I ain't part of no basketball team, I'm just trying to sell money to stay off the streets. All I got are Peanut M&M's and Welch's Grape Snacks. All candies are a dollar. Does anyone in this car want candy?"

I think that's the same guy that would do it on the (A) train cause I remember that last line. He would do jokes about how fat his wife was and would end it with that joke about getting people to take their trash cause he had company. I wonder what happened to him. Hope he didn't drop dead or something. He was pretty funny.

That is the same guy. You're right, he was a really funny guy. All his jokes were clean; and, he never hassled anyone for dough. I'd give him a couple bucks whenever I saw him. On the (F), he would get off at Lexington Ave. and run back down to West 4th to do another gig. On the (A), he'd go back and forth between Broadway-Nassau and Columbus Circle.

There was another character, a short young guy with curly blonde hair, that used to panhandle on the (F) around the same time. He used to have a picture of his "kids" hanging from a string around his neck, saying he needed money to pay for their medical bills. One day, I happened to be walking past a wholesale frame store. I just happened to glance at the window display; and, THERE IT WAS! The same damned picture the bum used, used as filler in a metal photo frame. I went in and bought the frame, with the insert. I started to carry around the insert in my jacket pocket, hoping to see this guy again. About a month later, I'm on my home on the (F). This guy gets on at 34th Street and starts his spiel. As he walked toward me, I pulled the insert out and said, "Scram! I'm working this car!" He let loose with a tirade and stormed off the train at 53rd/Fifth Ave.

Another entertaining incident took place on the (7) train at Times Square. After everyone boarded the train, we were waiting for it to move out. A panhandler, holding a dirty coffee cup, was walking through the car. He stopped in front of a well dressed woman who was sitting in the seat opposite the conductor's station. He stuck the cup in front of her face and started to shake it. The woman grabbed the cup, dumped whatever money was in it into her handbag, handed the cup back to him and thanked him. This guy had the most perplexed and dumstruck look on his face. He couldn't even say anything. He just walked away to the next car, empty cup in hand.

• 6 months later...

I avoid using the subway as much as possible and take the express bus to my final destination unless the traffic is absolutely terrible, especially since most of the beggars appear to be on the (4) and (5) trains, which I use to get to my office by Grand Central. I find them all annoying, especially because they love to come to the middle of the damn car where all of the decent AC is to make their annoucement when no one really cares.

That dude that claims that he draws cartoon characters by hand is rather annoying, as are the candy kids with their "I'm not selling no candy for no school or no basketball team line". They've got that damn line down pat. And the Mexicans that get on with their instruments yelling like maniacs at 09:30 in the morning and the other whack jobs doing flips and sh*t on a moving train. :mad: And of course let's not forget the ones that get on with their spare a penny for the "homeless-free-sandwich line". :P

@ Via: I've seen all of those...

I remember a few years back when a guy on the (Q) line goes:

"Hello folks. sorry to interrupt you but you may have seen me on the (Q) line. I am asking for money because my house burned down at Coney Island, I am looking for money to feed my family."

He has done this pretty frequently, and other (Q) riders have made comments on this too.

@ Via: I've seen all of those...

I remember a few years back when a guy on the (Q) line goes:

"Hello folks. sorry to interrupt you but you may have seen me on the (Q) line. I am asking for money because my house burned down at Coney Island, I am looking for money to feed my family."

He has done this pretty frequently, and other (Q) riders have made comments on this too.

That reminds me... I wonder what happened to the black lady that I saw on the (6) line when I was coming back from lunch? She would say that she needed money because she had cancer. I think I gave her a dollar once just out of pity because she seemed legit, but you never know.

working midnights i have seen some strange stuff. the few that stick out in my mind is the crack head giving lap dances and pole dancing for money on the (4). on the (E)there was a dirty magician. my favorite is the pregnant lady that has been pregnant for the past 5 years asking for gas money to get back to the south. or the man with no legs.

Ive seen the man with no legs, the dirty magician and the lady who has been pregnant since 2005 she used to be with a dude a few years back ..... wonder what happened to him.

I wonder why the (MTA) doesn't just catch these people, and put them to work on cleaning subway cars. Seems to be a lot better then begging in a subway car.

The same reason why they won't deal with farebeaters. They expect us to pay more and more to deal with more and more nonsense.

That reminds me... I wonder what happened to the black lady that I saw on the (6) line when I was coming back from lunch? She would say that she needed money because she had cancer. I think I gave her a dollar once just out of pity because she seemed legit, but you never know.

Can't tell if they're legit or not. Who knows. Some people begging for money claim all these things.

That's weird. I think I saw the same person around my neighborhood saying he has cancer, and needs help.

Sometimes on the same lines sometimes different. I had a beggar on the (R) a few times saying "I need something to eat, I accept food and drinks!"

The ones that hit the same train at almost the same time everyday. I wonder if they realize it begins to get old after the second time.

They might be saying that to a different set of passengers the second time around.

Whenever I take the (E) train between Noon and 2 PM, there's this weirdo who comes on the train with his dog. There's also the guy on the (E) train with the spoiled sandwiches who solicits donations.

Asking for donations in return of a sandwich, hmm, did anyone actually get the sandwiches in return for the donations?

Archived