Most annoying subway beggars

lilbluefoxie

Well I know we're all being angry at the MTA but that is kinda, wrong. The reason the MTA doesn't hire the homeless is that they aren't hiring qualified subway maintainers / cleaners either, because they're out of money. Conducting whatever sting operation you'd need to stop farebeaters, that too costs money. The reason they want us to pay more is again, because they're out of money.

People take advantage of the subway by beating fares, but they're only hurting themselves since the service will worsen thanks to them...

Yeah everyone argues that it costs too much to enforce the fare, but it's okay for those to pay to keep paying more for those who don't pay.... Very lame excuse.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah it's unfair, but so are a lot of things, and that doesn't make it the MTA's problem. It's a flaw in the system, and part of why the MTA is looking into new fare-collection and payment techniques for the very near future.

It's not even about unfair... You keep raising the fare and more people are going to not pay because they simply won't be able to afford to. It puts the entire system in peril. It is certainly far more than a "oh well" problem, nothing we can do about it. They need to address it sooner rather than later. They complain that they're broke but at the same time they do nothing to address the problems that are causing them to be broke. Maybe that makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me, nor am I okay with paying for others. :tdown:

The entire world only works because you pay for others and they pay for you. I'd hope you're used to that, as you've got to be in any functional country with a tax system.

The budget problems are very real. It all started with the budget crisis under Cuomo Sr., when he was forced to slash funding just to try to save the state. Then you've got Giuliani and Pataki refusing to restore any funding even when they could have (gee, what party are they both part of?). Now, when the state is back in budget problems, there is no money to give to the MTA, and the MTA is set to run out of money for the Capital plan quite soon. Naturally, the only solution when the government won't give you money is to raise fares, and any consequences will have to be doubt with. The blame here goes way, way back.

Well I agree to a degree, but let's not make the Republicans out to be the scapegoats. The (MTA) is to blame as well. They've squandered quite a bit of money themselves. Let's look at what they did with 370 Jay St. which I happened to work in for two years while working as a high school intern for them. Yeah, they may not have been properly funded, but they've squandered a lot of money as well, so let's not overlook that. You could also argue that the fact that they aren't funded as they should be is a good thing to a degree, because it has forced them to make changes that should've been implemented years ago, instead of looking to the state and more importantly to the taxpayers of the state for a handout, as if we don't pay enough in taxes as it is to help subsidize the system. It's double taxation at the least and at some point you have to acknowledge that it is a bit ridiculous.

I remember once i think it was late 2009 on the (F) line, when a guy couldnt even play his acousic guiter, and he came to everyone, saying "hi my name is yada yada yada" and what not. No one gave him money lmao. Then a week later i came across that person again so i changed subway cars so i wont hear any his singing lol.

The ones I find the most annoying are the spanish guitar / music players. They also try to sing to it, not realizing they can't.

I remember once when I was trying to record my R160 (R) announcements, this random Guitar guy stands RIGHT NEXT TO ME when I'm trying to get an announcement!

Plus, that side of the car was empty, the OTHER side had the people on it!

It makes me think that he was deliberately trying to ruin my announcement!

I do find some others annoying. The ones I find most annoying are the ones who try to play something really loud in a jam-packed car. No one wants to hear music when your jam-packed inside a hot smelly subway car!!!

-------------------------

On the other side, theres one I like (they are hard to catch):

Its this group of two kids that breakdance throughout the subway car. They made their own remix of songs & danced to it. They were a bit all over the place (I almost though one of them was going to crash into the pole), but they still had talent!

One time at 7;35AM. there was a subway begger beggin for money and after each station, a conductor keep messagin '' SOLICITING IS NOT A GOOD WAY'' and its a (Q)

LMFAO! Thats a WIN!

Don't you love it when you don't know about a G.O. and a crackhead or homeless person tells you and expects to be compensated for it?

All the bleeping time on the (C)(5) and (6)!!!

In Philly I remember a kid got clipped by a CSX train and it stop the trolleys some crackhead came and screamed, "Yo, someone got hit by the train! Give me a dolla!"

No one will learn.

I think the entire NYC Subway System, the LIRR, and the MNRR should be handed over to the Port Authority. At least they are making money with their HBLR, NLR, and PATH while we are crying broke, and if it isn't handed to the Port Authority it should be privatized, and operate as one giant private company which would own the NYC Subway, LIRR, and MNRR.

For me, the time I gave money, it was a beggar. It was a mother living at the connection between the (F)(M) and the (1)(2)(3) at the 14th street station. She had two babies and living in the subway, with no father in sight. I felt horrible for the babies and the mother and gave her half of a Subway footlong I bought and five dollars for food for the children. For some reason, when children are involved, I also break down and just give the beggars money.

All beggers, no matter who they are or how they try to take your money, are intolerable. They are the second most annoying thing in the subway right behind impatient jerks holding car doors open. I frequently see the same morons on the (Q) and (6) trains going to school in the morning and an ironic moment happens when the automated announcement about soliciting money in the subway being illegal plays. I wish I caught them on camera.

I clearly recognize two panhandlers, though they are not in the subway. One is outside the CVS in Sheepshead Bay (I see him almost every day since I live in that neighborhood) and another walks with a cain and goes into various Downtown Brooklyn restaurants (not sure if he is still there because I have not been in that area for a while. One restaurant owner recognized him and threaten to have him arrested if he asked for change again).

I never give any money to them except if they follow me around and keep begging me for a dollar (most beggers will walk away after you say no, but there are a few who will pursue until they get what they want). I had that experience a few times and one even acted like he had a gun or knife under his jacket. The only time I really gave a dollar to a begger was to a woman on the (7) train three years ago. I did it because everyone else in the car spared her some change and I was afraid of what she might do if I refused.

The ones I find the most annoying are the spanish guitar / music players. They also try to sing to it, not realizing they can't.

I remember once when I was trying to record my R160 (R) announcements, this random Guitar guy stands RIGHT NEXT TO ME when I'm trying to get an announcement!

Plus, that side of the car was empty, the OTHER side had the people on it!

It makes me think that he was deliberately trying to ruin my announcement!

I do find some others annoying. The ones I find most annoying are the ones who try to play something really loud in a jam-packed car. No one wants to hear music when your jam-packed inside a hot smelly subway car!!!

-------------------------

On the other side, theres one I like (they are hard to catch):

Its this group of two kids that breakdance throughout the subway car. They made their own remix of songs & danced to it. They were a bit all over the place (I almost though one of them was going to crash into the pole), but they still had talent!

LMFAO! Thats a WIN!

I agree that the worst of the beggers are those who play music. At least once a week coming home from school on the (Q) train, a bunch of Mexicans play and sing spanish songs or some teenage boys blast their radio and do some crazy breakdancing. They really know how to ruin a quiet subway ride. I wish I could smash their instruments or stereo to pieces and tell them to shut the f*** up because no one wants to hear or see your lame music or dance. Of course, if I do that in real life, I will probably get pulverized or tossed off the train, though I "accidentally" tripped these guys a couple of times.

For me, the time I gave money, it was a beggar. It was a mother living at the connection between the (F)(M) and the (1)(2)(3) at the 14th street station. She had two babies and living in the subway, with no father in sight. I felt horrible for the babies and the mother and gave her half of a Subway footlong I bought and five dollars for food for the children. For some reason, when children are involved, I also break down and just give the beggars money.

It really pisses me off when female beggers use children to gain extra sympathy from riders. I experienced this at 68th Street-Hunter College earlier this month and it was clearly the stupidest panhandler scam ever. As I walked down the stairs to the southbound platform after classes, a young woman (probably around 25 years old) sat on one of the steps carrying a backpack and baby. At first, I thought she was going to breastfeed the child, but she took a piece of cardboard from the backpack which said that she had five kids, was unemployed, and asked anyone to spare her some food or money. That looked really suspicious considering her young appearance, painted toenails, and clean and neat clothes (how can a 25-year-old have five kids already?). To confirm this scheme, I looked at the other platform and saw another woman, probably this lady's older sister or mother since she looked just like her, but had more wrinkles, doing the exact same thing. The babies they were carrying probably were not even theirs. I wondered what was going through their minds as they were being held in a stranger's arms even though both women were rather attractive. It is so sad that scammers would use innocent children for their cruel scheme. I cannot believe some people actually fell for these women just because of their gorgeous, innocent look. I giggled at their stupidity as I got on the train, though I had a similar experience with Planned Parenthood two years ago when one of their volunteers on the streets, someone who nearly fitted the woman of my dreams, convinced me to donate $13 a month to the company. Society really knows how to use beautiful women to pray on lonely males like me for our money and other valuables.

Last October at Lexington Avenue-63rd Street, I encountered a teenage girl and her "mother" sitting on the floor by the wall on the level between the two escalator banks. As I was ran up the lower escalator bank and headed towards the upper one, they asked me to spare some change and I told them I could not because I was late for class (and i really was, which was why i was running up the escalators). Coming home that day, another female begger boarded the (Q) train I was on with a little girl in a stroller and asked for change. So sick! I have not encountered any of these women since, though.

YankeesPwnMets, I do not think those children belonged to the female begger you encountered.

I actually do feel sorry for panhandlers that are children. For some reason they remind me of the orphans in the Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist. The main characters were orphans themselves.

To me, panhandlers with children are more likely scammers than those begging alone based on what happened in my story above. Sometimes, they show pictures of children that probably are not even theirs. I fear for those kids' lives, especially if they are kidnapped from their real families.

Exactly. I mean, how many of these people really are doing it for themselves? It's all some form of cult they're apart of, they conjugate somewhere and devise what they're gonna do next. At least that's the way I see it lol

Panhandlers are no less cruel than the various scammers and con artists that exist, including dating ("Oh, I'm trapped in another country and I need you to pay for my airline tickets or whatever"), lottery ("Oh, you just won a lottery that you never even heard of and I need your personal information so you can claim your winnings), job ("Applying for this job requires a fee of whatever"), and auction (sending you a fake check that will bounce if you try to deposit in your bank account and cost you whatever it is worth, leaving you with the product you are trying to sell). I am sure have you experienced these types of crap in your lives.

C) Your regular bootleg DVD merchant

I don't mind the candy sellers but my sweet tooth isn't quite what it used to be back in my days as a child, plus I can get candy bars cheaper somewhere else usually... Back in my high school when the sports teams were raising money with the fund raiser boxes (which they were only allowed to be sold in the school) some clever students would take the empty boxes and buy candy to fill them and earn a little profit on the side.

I am surprised you call these merchants "Panhandlers" or "beggers" since they offer you something in return for your money. I do not mind the teens selling candy either because I too did that in high school. I bought from them a few times and their candies are not contaminated or anything. The bootleg DVD merchants are worse because it is illegal to sell counterfeit goods and if State Assemblywoman Margaret Chin gets her way, it will be illegal to own these items too. People still sell and buy them, though, even though the quality is so bad because they do not have the patience to wait 4-6 months for the genuine DVD of their favorite movies to come out.

This reminds me of a guy who used to sell 8 AA batteries for $1.00 on the (Q) train. They are probably worthless being that they will die after just 1 hour of use. I have not seen the guy since June 2003, though, and last time that happened, a passenger scolded him for selling fake, defective batteries

In all of my years working in the IRT I think I've come across all types of beggars. I've seen the verbally abusive types, the acrobats, singers, salespeople, and the BSers. I've been annoyed, shocked and even amused at some of their actions. We had a woman ,with her children, walking through the cars on the Lexington Avenue express as the train sped uptown. She claimed that she was homeless and needed money for her and her children to have a place to stay overnights. I know this city can be heartless and arbitrary at times but there is NO WAY if the story was true that some agency out there that wouldn't help her. I took an immediate dislike to her and her game w/ the children. I used to lock the storm doors between the cars when I saw her coming, not so much to hurt her, but because of her dangerous actions moving those children between cars of a moving train. There were two people who I really liked to see. Back in the 80's there was a guy who used to ride the 7th Ave lines in the evening. This guy " played " the saxophone somewhat. He would come into a car and begin playing the most outrageous notes that people would give him money just to shut him up and get him to move on to the next car. I got wise to his game and he knew it. He used to wink at me as he moved on. When I got promoted to M/M he saw me one day and congratulated me. My all-time favorite worked the Lexington Ave express in the evenings from my redbird days until my final days on the NTT. He'd get on the train around 125th St s/b or at least that's when I'd notice him. If we were waiting on a downtown (6) he'd make an announcement that "we're being held by the dispatcher" or words to that effect. When the NTT came along he'd announce " stand clear of the closing doors, please " and give the door chimes sound. Between stops he had some funny spiel where he'd tell people he spoke Chinese like " won ton, egg drop, or chow mein". His French usually included words like " madame, mayonnaise, and french fries". His Espanol consisted of "mamacita, dinero and cerveza". When he usually got off at 14th St-Union Square most of the time the riders were laughing with him and the other riders who stayed on and , at least to me, made that last trip to Utica Avenue that much easier. In retrospect I do miss some of the characters I've carried through the years.

In all of my years working in the IRT I think I've come across all types of beggars. I've seen the verbally abusive types, the acrobats, singers, salespeople, and the BSers. I've been annoyed, shocked and even amused at some of their actions. We had a woman ,with her children, walking through the cars on the Lexington Avenue express as the train sped uptown. She claimed that she was homeless and needed money for her and her children to have a place to stay overnights. I know this city can be heartless and arbitrary at times but there is NO WAY if the story was true that some agency out there that wouldn't help her. I took an immediate dislike to her and her game w/ the children. I used to lock the storm doors between the cars when I saw her coming, not so much to hurt her, but because of her dangerous actions moving those children between cars of a moving train. There were two people who I really liked to see. Back in the 80's there was a guy who used to ride the 7th Ave lines in the evening. This guy " played " the saxophone somewhat. He would come into a car and begin playing the most outrageous notes that people would give him money just to shut him up and get him to move on to the next car. I got wise to his game and he knew it. He used to wink at me as he moved on. When I got promoted to M/M he saw me one day and congratulated me. My all-time favorite worked the Lexington Ave express in the evenings from my redbird days until my final days on the NTT. He'd get on the train around 125th St s/b or at least that's when I'd notice him. If we were waiting on a downtown (6) he'd make an announcement that "we're being held by the dispatcher" or words to that effect. When the NTT came along he'd announce " stand clear of the closing doors, please " and give the door chimes sound. Between stops he had some funny spiel where he'd tell people he spoke Chinese like " won ton, egg drop, or chow mein". His French usually included words like " madame, mayonnaise, and french fries". His Espanol consisted of "mamacita, dinero and cerveza". When he usually got off at 14th St-Union Square most of the time the riders were laughing with him and the other riders who stayed on and , at least to me, made that last trip to Utica Avenue that much easier. In retrospect I do miss some of the characters I've carried through the years.

LOL... That reminds me of this other guy that does the whole "we're delayed because of train traffic ahead of us, please be patient" line. He also does the doors closing noise. This guy looks older, but everyone looks at him like he's a freak. Never asks for money or anything either. That's what I call foaming gone too far. LOL :eek:

I think the entire NYC Subway System, the LIRR, and the MNRR should be handed over to the Port Authority. At least they are making money with their HBLR, NLR, and PATH while we are crying broke, and if it isn't handed to the Port Authority it should be privatized, and operate as one giant private company which would own the NYC Subway, LIRR, and MNRR.

VERY bad idea.

Privatiziation means that the cost of corporate profits will be added in to the fare.

Hello $5.50 subway fare.

NJ Transit operates the HBLR and NLR. However, you are right in saying that the Port Authority is a much better agency than the MTA.

Either the lady on the Lex Av who incoherently bangs her drum and yells out of tone that she's sorry for the disturbance and yadadaaddad.

Or the one I see on the downtown (6) around Third Av who's name is Henry. He's homeless. He hasn't had anything to eat for FOUR WHOLE DAYS. So can you please please please please please please please please please please please please give him some change so he can buy something to eat. He'd really really really really really really really really really appreciate it. ;) Repeats the exact phrase verbatim every time.

I've seen my fair share of bums, beggars, street performers, illicit vendors, etc. and some of them are pretty cool. I used to see the break-dancing kids every week or two on the uptown (A) between 59th and 125th, and they were good. The acrobatics were pretty damn good for a train doing 30+ mph and rocking back and forth, and they never hassled their crowd for change. I've run into a couple of the mariachi bands, one "regular" trio that tends to play the (A) but sometimes shows up on the Lex or 7 Av lines, and then a newer duo once or twice on the (1), and the trio of drummers on the (A). All of them gave great performances, were very cordial and would sometimes joke back and forth with passengers or smile for the little kids. I've dealt with maybe a couple of stand-up guys, one really good one that joked around with my mom a bit during the course of his routine and a mediocre one who wasn't quite a comedian but wasn't simply a bum either.

The candy kids are pretty good if slightly overpriced; the spiel is pretty much identical no matter who's reciting it but after the initial announcement they tend to quietly walk the car selling their wares without it being an issure; if I'm hungry and don't want to wait until I get off the train to eat I'll buy $1 worth of candy to tide me over and some nights I needed the extra energy. I've never seen $2+ candy on the trains, but anybody with the audacity to try that will probably go out of business pretty fast once people realize they can wait a few stops and get the same candy from another kid for $1. I've only dealt with a few of the ones selling bootleg DVDs and counterfeit stuff, but the ones I've dealt with haven't been particularly obnoxious.

As for the straight beggars, I'm not too fond of them. They don't particularly have anything to sell or perform, so they tend to go for pity, largely by claiming homelessness, medical bills, obscene numbers of children, etc. I tend not to pay that much attention to them if they're not particularly obnoxious, but a couple of them stick in my memory. One happens to be Ms. "Gotta Eat" on the Lex who pounds out this really simple beat on God knows what kind of improvised drum while shouting out couplets like "It's a fresh new beat, something different and unique" and "It ain't no joke, for real I'm broke" punctuated with "Gotta eat" at various intervals.

There's also the guy on the (E) train with the spoiled sandwiches

One time I was on the (E) wearing one of my Depeche Mode shirts; had a nice discussion about the band with him. Crazy but knowledgeable.

Whenever I take the (E) train between Noon and 2 PM, there's this weirdo who comes on the train with his dog. There's also the guy on the (E) train with the spoiled sandwiches who solicits donations.

I've seen both of those people before. I like the magician on the (E) as well as this guitar player on the (2) who asks people to identify songs he plays.

Archived