Department of Transportation eyes plan to ease congestion around Queens Center Mall

Harry

In an effort to untangle the snarled traffic that drivers often encounter around Queens' most popular mall, the city Department of Transportation has unveiled a plan to ease congestion and make the area safer.

The agency's proposal would make a stretch of road behind the Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst one-way, diverting traffic to a less-crowded block nearby, Queens Transportation Commissioner Maura McCarthy said during a Community Board 4 public hearing Tuesday night.

"There are two reasons for doing this," McCarthy said. "One is to ease congestion and the other is to reduce the vehicle-pedestrian conflicts."

The plan would make 57th Ave., where the entrance to the mall's parking garage is located, one-way westbound between 90th and 92nd Sts. - both of which are already one-way.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/11/11/2010-11-11_department_of_transportation_eyes_plan_to_ease_congestion_around_queens_center_m.html#ixzz155QsqHhx

post-1-133288582256_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582256_thumb.jpg

this guy Messino goes IN :tup:

and Srein brings up a good point... those cabs park in, around, over, and through (ok, I'm OD'ing with that saying, but you get the point) Queens Center mall...

it's already nightmarish crossing Queens Blvd, period... I avoid woodhaven/Queens blvd whenever possible... it's (the pedestrian & vehicular traffic) probably the reason why I don't go to that mall.... to boot, the sidewalks are tight also; not designed for that volume of people....

Archived