"Beep Cash Could Get Fourth Avenue F Station Back On Track

EE Broadway Local

From The New York Post:

The Fourth Avenue station (F)(G) - once targeted for a grand facelift as part of the $250-million dollar reconstruction of the elevated tracks between the Carroll Street and Fourth Avenue stations - and which has been in limbo since the M.T.A.'s budget crises, may be back on track, thanks to Brooklyn Borough President Mr. Marty Marowitz ("The Beep").

Mr. Markowitz said he has set aside $2-million dollars for improvements in and around the Fourth Avenue station which has seen ridership increase ever since a rezoning in 2003 and is a major transfer point between the (F)(G) and (R) lines.

What do you think? Is Fourth Avenue dour and "shares the same aesthetic of a Turkish Prison"?

Story from The New York Post: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/beep_cash_could_get_fourth_ave_station_ltO1rSkqvDLYcKjFJmWfcN

It's good that he's actually setting aside money for transit improvements. 4th Ave. needs all the help that it can get, but if they actually uncover the windows I'm sure the station will look much, much nicer.

BTW, if you don't know already, here's what the station would have looked like if given a full rehab:

Before

4thavecurrent.jpg

img_109704.jpg

(Photo by David Tropiansky)

After

fourthaveviaduct.jpg

(Photo from Second Ave. Sagas)

30_46_fourthavebridgeplan_z.jpg

Obviously would never happen, but: what if they were to reconfigure the station to have the platform and the local tracks 'swap' so that 4th Av could be turned into an express stop?

Would certainly eliminate the need to send the (G) all the way down to Church Av since the MTA is always looking for ways to trim it back even further.

While a rehab to the station would be nice, without adding improvements such as escalators/elevators, new entrances, or improved transfer ease between the f/g and r, it seems like money that could be better spent elsewhere. I'm all for beautification, but there are plenty of areas that require functional improvements first.

I wonder what the reasoning behind the design was. Making 7 Avenue rather than 4 Avenue an express station and making Smith–9 Streets a de facto terminal for the (G) seems a bit odd to me, unless there was an intention to get rid of the 4 Avenue line (which itself doesn't make sense).

There is a second reason why they are rehabbing the station. It is part of the neighborhoods beautification program. If you don't believe me look at the image and click on the link below.

streets_come_alive.jpg

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2008/11/new_visions_of.php

Though I have a second suggestion. To prevent people from breaking, and vandalizing the windows I suggest the glass should be extremely thick, and the windows should be graffiti and scratch proof.

There is a second reason why they are rehabbing the station. It is part of the neighborhoods beautification program. If you don't believe me look at the image and click on the link below.

streets_come_alive.jpg

Though I have a second suggestion. To prevent people from breaking, and vandalizing the windows I suggest the glass should be extremely thick, and the windows should be graffiti and scratch proof.

No it's not part of any "beautification project". The link you provided is not any official city agency but it's a 3rd party group run by hipster who thought up of a "project" to "redesign" 9th & 4th Avenue. The city of new york is not implementing any of their ridiculous and uninformed "plans". Next time read the source you are quoting before linking them here and passing it as fact.

streets_come_alive.jpg

You do realize that Fourth Avenue has traffic flowing along it, right?

Archived