R143 vs R160

Johnny Cocker

So I just got back from NYC and this time I got to ride most of the lines, I think I forgot about the rockaway shuttle and the Brooklyn portion of the 5 train.

Anyways I know that the R143 and R160 models look identical, but I think the R143 just for the fact its propulsion sounds better. Same with the R142A (correct me if I'm wrong) vs the R142.

So I just got back from NYC and this time I got to ride most of the lines

Anyways I know that the R143 and R160 models look identical,

Welcome back and yes they are identical but other cars are identical also such as the R62/A's which can be found on the (1),(3) & (7)<7>.The R68/A's (:P(D) and thats pretty much it.There is very little difference in those cars as far as looks.I didn't include the R142 and R142A b\c I hate comparing them R142A's Pwn they look shinier/glossy and they have this look that makes them look like an old classic train and the trucks are different!

The R160 is nothing but an upgrade of the R143. If you look at the R160 datasheet, it was originally gonna be delivered with stripmaps but someone decided "hey let's get rid of the stripmap for even more flexibillity so people won't be confused when the train gets rerouted." But I like the R143 better since I take it every day going to work (ATO FTW!!!!! :P)

Anyways I know that the R143 and R160 models look identical, but I think the R143 just for the fact its propulsion sounds better. Same with the R142A (correct me if I'm wrong) vs the R142.

That's not a fact, it's an opinion....

Guest lance25
If you look at the R160 datasheet, it was originally gonna be delivered with stripmaps but someone decided "hey let's get rid of the stripmap for even more flexibillity so people won't be confused when the train gets rerouted."

It's probably a good idea that they went in the direction they did since the trainsets can go onto vastly different lines and the stripmaps would be useless most of the time.

Because those "which do you like better" threads are a waste of time and just lead to people b****ing about nonsense.

Not to mention all the "it should...", "it would be nice if..." and "if the (MTA) was smart they would..." will follow then somehow another flame war would follow

Not to mention all the "it should...", "it would be nice if..." and "if the (MTA) was smart they would..." will follow then somehow another flame war would follow

Adding on to this:

It will lead to these four statements:

"The R143 is a POS"

"R143 is better than the POS R160"

"F*** the R160"

"R32s are much better than the R160"

(From Wikipedia)

Difference between the R143 and R160A-1 cars

The R160A-1 is almost identical to the R143 class of cars used on the L line. However, there are differences between the two:

The R143s have standard plastic card route maps instead of FIND displays like the R160A-1 units.

The American flag on the ends of the A-unit cars is positioned differently in relation to the MTA New York City Subway logo. On the R143, the flag is below the NYCS logo. On the R160A-1, it is above the logo.

The two types have different traction motors. The R143s have Bombardier traction motors (like the R142A) while the R160A-1s have Alstom traction motors (like the R142).

The doors between the cars are different. On the R143, there is a single door. On the R160A-1, there are a pair of sliding doors.

The taillights on the R143s use incandescent bulbs with reflectors, and the R160 taillights use LEDs with their characteristic dot-matrix look.

Adding on to this:

It will lead to these four statements:

"The R143 is a POS"

"R143 is better than the POS R160"

"F*** the R160"

"R32s are much better than the R160"

And let's not forget what line RXXX should go to because X line would "benefit" from the switch.

YES!!!!!!!! A thread really gets boring reading through all those pages of nonsense.

...But back to the matter at hand, some people like the R160 better, while at the same time some people like the R143 better

YES!!!!!!!! A thread really gets boring reading through all those pages of nonsense.

...But back to the matter at hand, some people like the R160 better, while at the same time some people like the R143 better

It is a shame they were designed with the pole in front of the doors. This makes the crowd flow very poor.

It is a shame they were designed with the pole in front of the doors. This makes the crowd flow very poor.

I know that part seemed like a stupid move, but hey its alrady here so let's get used to it. Besides all those extra standees gotta hold on somewhere.

Thank you, guys. I had been wondering what the difference between an R143 and an R160 was. Primarily, I had thought it was because of the C.B.T.C. that the (L) had R143s.

You can also find R160s on the (L) with CBTC (not trying to into another R160 on the (L) war). The easiest way to tell them apart is look at the position of the flag on the front...

Flag below (MTA) logo: R143

Flag above (MTA) logo: R160

I know that part seemed like a stupid move, but hey its alrady here so let's get used to it. Besides all those extra standees gotta hold on somewhere.

I know what you are saying, the problem is people gravitate towards the pole instead of moving to the middle of the car first. It results in the door being blocked making it difficult to navigate to the middle of the train where there is room to stand. On the plus side, it is nice to have a clock on the train.

Archived