Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

Nostalgia train article...

http://gothamist.com/2007/09/18/the_division_of.php

"Since the audit includes the MTA's replies to the Comptroller's office, you can read things like how the MTA notes the Nostalgia Train fleet does not “easily fit the traditional revenue vs. expense model”, as the museum is a 501 (C)( 3) non-profit so it has never been considered a “profit center”, and that the museum provides intangible benefits to the MTA and the public." :D

I think everyone here would agree.

- Andy

"We have been on a Nostalgia Train trip and, other than a bit long, it makes you appreciate the little things in the modern subway cars, like sound insulation, seats not made of woven material, and, perhaps most importantly, air conditioning. True, you’ll have to deal with the foamers who have the fleet number and entire history of every subway car that ever ran in the city on these trips, but that is a small price to pay to get an idea of how things were years ago. We recommend going on at least one of these just for that, since there aren’t many full sensory experiences of old New York left."

HA! I remember on the December arnines hearing an off duty train operator talking to a couple of his buddies when one of these "foamers" came up to him.

"Do you know when this train last ran in regularly scheduled passenger service?"

The reply was priceless.

"NO BUT I BET YOU DO!!!"

LOL @ the article!

I love watching foamers foam over the damn train

i remember on the December R9 thing there were foamers hogging BOTH railfan windows, with big cameras filming the view with tripod and sound recorder and there were these other guys talking about R1s and westinghouses and i have no clue what else they said, that R9 train was like literally a foamer house lol

LOL @ the article!

I love watching foamers foam over the damn train

i remember on the December R9 thing there were foamers hogging BOTH railfan windows, with big cameras filming the view with tripod and sound recorder and there were these other guys talking about R1s and westinghouses and i have no clue what else they said, that R9 train was like literally a foamer house lol

LOL the railfan window was mobbed on those trips. And those foamers also get mad when you get in their pic by addident. And they always have hats that have pins from every railroad that you can think of. And they be falling alseep on the train sometimes. And they are rude and mean they be talking about people right in front of them. And its also funny watching them run up and down platform taking a whole bunch of pics LOL.

I enjoy the RFW as much as anyone, but 1) there's never a reason to push and 2) always let the little kids through. I don't know what's up with the foamers who insist on blocking little kids. They're little. Which means they're short. Which means you can see over them. Let them go to the front. For some of them, this experience may develop their interest in transit. This is like the asshats who go to baseball games and steal foul balls from little kids..

Equally hilarious was the kid who showed up for the arnines with his train whistle...and by kid I mean he was like 25...

Lastly, if you're going to film video there's no reason to do it at the RFW for an entire run while giving announcements. You are blocking others and being annoying. There are better ways to practice for the C/R Exam

/end fantrip & nostalgia etiquette lecture :cool:

Which is why I avoid the front of the train as much I can on these trips because some of these railfans can be some real a**holes. And few don't shower......

And the guy making announcements, he wasn't practicing how to be a C/R, thats just how he is. I know who you're talking about.

It's kinda funny to see how special services like that work with the the ultra-foamers. Certainly a RFW on the (V) is fairly rare, but the tunnels don't change a lot in the few days it runs. I've filmed RFW views in segments, but, then again, I'm not a hardcore rail foamer. Seriously, I won't go crowd a window or be a jerk and ask someone to move, but I will wait for another train; however, I can see how this has special circumstances. I wonder about people like this... seems like they would get a job as a TO or something (or maybe the MTA rejected them because they were way too interested in it... :)). Oh well, can't be helped I guess... :P

It's kinda funny to see how special services like that work with the the ultra-foamers. Certainly a RFW on the (V) is fairly rare, but the tunnels don't change a lot in the few days it runs. I've filmed RFW views in segments, but, then again, I'm not a hardcore rail foamer. Seriously, I won't go crowd a window or be a jerk and ask someone to move, but I will wait for another train; however, I can see how this has special circumstances. I wonder about people like this... seems like they would get a job as a TO or something (or maybe the MTA rejected them because they were way too interested in it... :)). Oh well, can't be helped I guess... :P

True, but remember it's not always what you know. A "foamer" T/O candidate can know everything about transit and RTO operations, but if they can't do basic reading and writing they won't pass the written test, and if they can't hit the board, they're not going to make it out of schoolcar.

Plus quite a few of them are too young anyway

What amazed me most of the nostalgia runs in December was when a C/R had trouble closing down at a station and the geese all crowded between cars while he was standing on the Platforms between cars, effectively blocking him...all of them trying to figure out "what's going on?"

That's the first time I've seen "foamer" used anywhere other than a rail board. Too funny :):D

Thanks for posting the link.

Jack,

I was thinking the same thing. Now either the guy did his homework or he's a foamer in disguise. :)

Anyway, I've taken several nostalgia trips with the family. I try to get my kids up front, especially the 5 year old. But there are usually severe hardcore foamers at the window.

Let the little ones look.

Paul (:P