Bye Bye Continental Airlines

I has barely been 60 days since United Airlines took over Continental Airline. Unlike the most recent mergers between Delta/Northwest, and America West/US Airways, United is wasting no time adding their name to the entire fleet of Continental planes. These shots from Airliners.net shows some of these plane in hybrid livery.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines-%28Continental/Boeing-777-224-ER/1813366/&sid=91a8a723d205ec7fd2cb60162e1a4c95

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines-%28Continental/Boeing-737-924-ER/1821939/&sid=91a8a723d205ec7fd2cb60162e1a4c95

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines-%28Continental/Boeing-757-224/1821753/&sid=91a8a723d205ec7fd2cb60162e1a4c95

http://www.airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines-%28Continental/Boeing-737-924-ER/1821939/&sid=91a8a723d205ec7fd2cb60162e1a4c95

The smart thing to do would be to leave them like this until each plane requires a repaint. I think I actually like it!:eek:

That is the final livery, united planes are going to get continental globes on their tails. Continental was doing fine, their board & executive team remains in control of the new entity. It was really more about getting routes that completed gaps and streamlining operations, its not some healthy airline snapping up a sickly one to decrease competition.

Taken on november 15th at kewr:

98288605.jpg

- A

That is the final livery, united planes are going to get continental globes on their tails. Continental was doing fine, their board & executive team remains in control of the new entity. It was really more about getting routes that completed gaps and streamlining operations, its not some healthy airline snapping up a sickly one to decrease competition.

- A

So basically it was like the Cingular/ATT Merger, just to make more ties in less places. I like it! Now direct service to Atlanta via Newark (Only Continental offered this service.)

I thought Continental was doing fine.

They were. It was United that was going down and needed help.

That is the final livery, united planes are going to get continental globes on their tails.

There is suppose to be a new livery coming out soon. Might debut upon delivery of the Boeing 787s in a year or two.

Now direct service to Atlanta via Newark (Only Continental offered this service.)

Delta provides EWR-ATL service and it's not half bad.

Wasn't the airline supposed to be called "Continental United"? That's what I heard when I first heard about the merger!!!

That's the corporate name. They're keeping United for the airline name.

You sure? They just painted the first UA-owned aircraft in the hybrid livery. If they were going to debut a new livery in a year or two it would be a waste wouldn't it?

I read it in an article earlier this year when they announced the merger. They said it wasn't come out for some time while designers work a new scheme. Whether they abandoned that idea or not I do not know.

The bump on top is a satellite antenna for in flight wifi. Tons of the larger planes have them now, but there's still a lot that don't also. I've seen a few of the smaller regional jets and some of the Q300's and Q400's and some other turboprops with them as well, but they are in the minority.

The livery they have now may be slightly modified for the 787 delivery, but that would happen in the normal repaint cycle which happens based on visual inspections vs what they are doing now, which is not a repaint, but modification of a segment of the fuselage paint, i believe they can do that in the hangar with a portable aircraft paint booth, but i'm not 100% sure.

One other thing is that their hub in newark is going to open up enough slots for a small number of southwest airlines flights, that doesn't happen till next year, i think april?

- A

Archived