PBL Museum Buses

Novabus 5000

Why doesn't the (MTA) bring out the PBL museum buses. With the exception of 1502, 621 and I THINK 3006, they all are powered steering. Compared to buses like 3100 and 2151, these seem easier to run.

I have been wondering the exact same thing myself! They should all be out right along with the TA fleet.

How would an average commuter know it was their bus if a beige and red RTS pulled up with Jamaica Bus Inc. written on it?

Yes, it'd probably be an easier drive, but that'd be pretty odd for a commuter to get on. Plus, I doubt those roll signs will say "M42" for example, which means you've got a beige and red RTS with a slip of paper than says M42 on it. Don't think it'd work.

I meant run the PBL units out of their PBL depots on their orignial PBL routes.

I don't think it would have that "wow" effect, because most of the PBLs saved are RTS' and we still have quite a few of those in service. But maybe we could see 623,3006 or 1502 in service.

For me, it would be more about seeing those old liveries than actually seeing the buses. But, I think the "Wow" factor would still be there. All those models have been retired.*None of the ex-PBL's have RTS' anymore other than LGA. So seeing a Command CNG, QSC, and Jamaica RTS' would definitely wow me!

No difference -- it's still a green or beige or red or blue bus approaching with a sign for your route. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but it'd still confuse most commuters.

Thats the exact same situation you have now with the NYCT vintage buses-they are the "wrong" colors, like green or yellow

I'm going to repeat myself with more detail; with the exception of FACCO, which IIRC was an outright takeover as MaBSTOA, all the old buses in use have something to the effect of New York City Transit on them. the old PBA buses still look like the did the day the MTA got them. they can't go out on the road looking like that in passenger service, it's not only confusing, but i beliave they are not allowed to do it unless there is some sort of externial notifcation that it is infact an MTA bus.

That last statement is key...somewhere on the bus, it would need to be noted as to whom the operator is.

So slap one of those temporary stickers on them that says "MTA" on them.

To be honest, most people remember these buses from their own childhood, and the destination sign makes it clear where the bus is going. I really don't think you are going to have mass confusion or people thinking there is some sketchy bus company kindnapping them or whatever.

• 6 months later...

Archived