-West 4 St

-Grand Central

Some of my least Favorites include:

-Atlantic/Pacific

-Whitehall/South Ferry

-42 St/8 Av to Times Square

-4 Av/9 St

-14 St/6 Av (F)(M)(L) to the (1)(2)(3)

To be honest, I really don't mind Canal St on the (J)(N)(Q)(R)(Z)(6). We've all been using that Station some time or another since it re-opened in July of 2001, and I got so used to changing trains there, so I as much as I walk thru it, I don't mind it.

Zach

Not Favs:

14 St - 6 Ave (1)(2)(3)(F)(M)(L) - Stupid long transfer is stupid.

42 St - 5 Ave (:((D)(F)(M)(7) - Stupid other long transfer is stupid.

Times Sq between (S) and (A) train. Let's just *walk* to Grand Central. We'll get there in faster time with LESS walking.

Lex Ave/53 St (E)(M)(6) - Over the river and through the woods...

Fulton St (A)(C)(J)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5) - By far the stupidest station in the system. "Hey, lets just throw a bunch of free transfers together because the platforms are close together."

Chambers St (A)(C)(2)(3)(E) - The World Trade Center station is very convoluted.

Fulton: technically if you stay on the A/C platform the transfer is a bit easier. But anyone wanting to transfer b/w the 2/3 and 4/5 should just do so in Brooklyn when they are just across the platform.

Chambers St: imo, they should have a corridor linking the 7th and 8th av lines together [which would be a lot closer than the walk under 42nd st] and they should close Park Pl for the 2/3 as that station is just too close to Chambers St.

Chambers St: imo, they should have a corridor linking the 7th and 8th av lines together [which would be a lot closer than the walk under 42nd st] and they should close Park Pl for the 2/3 as that station is just too close to Chambers St.

I believe that when a Brooklyn-Bound (2)or(3) departs Chambers, the first car touches Park Place, while the last car just exits Chambers, and vice versa for Uptown & The Bronx.

Best

Atlantic-Pacific complex

Columbus Circle

Worst

42 St-PABT to Times Sq: those ramps at the ends of the passageways (mainly at the 7 Av end) are a killer, espically after a long day or a heavy bag :mad:

Fulton St Complex: I hate the fact that no matter wat transfer you do, you have to use the (A)(C) platform

149 St-Grand Concourse: the Jerome end stairs are too narrow compared to the White Plains end

14 St-6 Av to 14 St-7 Av: A block of walking underground, avoid during rush hours or you'll be sorry

Broadway Junction: If the escalators are down then good luck walking

I don't like any xfer with a long passageway ((A)(C)(E) to the Times Square complex, (F)(M)(L) to the 7 Avenue line) so I never use them unless I have to.

Xfers like 161 Street Yankee Stadium and Jackson Heights are not so bad since one has to go down/up a couple flights.

Heres my critique.

Bway-East New York

Pros: Acess to the (A)

Cons:The long escalator/Stairs up to the (J)(Z)(L).By the time you get up there,You`ll find out if heaven got a ghetto.:P

14th Street (F)(M)(L)(1)(2)(3)

Cons: makes you feel like pac-man being chased by rats.Maze much?

The holy grail of transfers.Times Square.(A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(1)(2)(3)(7)

pros:Connects to most vital subway lines,Literally could play manhunt throughout the entire transfer point

Cons:That long crowded walk from 8th avenue (A)(C)(E) to the rest of the lines.

And of course 51st and Lex

Pros:pPassing through the waterfall (Nice touch)

CONS!!!: That damn escalator connecting the (E)(M).

I disagree (notice I didn't say incorrect). Chambers is ideal for Stuyvesant and BMCC students. Park Place is closer to the financial district.

42nd-TS is not that bad if you are going from the (7) to the 7th Av lines, but it would be nice if they had a direct connection to the Broadway lines. Track 3 of the (S) sucks. I hope they get around to rennovating the platforms and eliminate that curve and allow 5-car trains to be used.

Agreed about 14th St b/w the 7th and 6th av lines and 42nd b/w the 8th and 7th Av lines.

thats pretty much the only decent part of the Times Square transfer; anything else (especially from times square to the uptown E) is a total bitch lol

Worst

168 Street (A)(C)(1)-elevator-only transfer

exactly. i dont think that connection is safe at all. the elevators break down alot, and being that the two platforms are 13 stories apart from each other, if the elevator gets stuck in between the two floors, then what??

:tdown: for the transfer between the (A)(C)(1) at 168 St.

Apologies for another long post

42nd street 8th Ave to 7th Ave. Better off just getting out and walking above ground.

lol...I know that when my dad wants to get to Times Sq. for the West Side IRT, he just takes the (F) to Bryant Park since it's faster than taking the (E) to 8th and walking to Times Sq. Of course that's only possible everyday since he has an unlimited.

When I was a C/R on the (3) I just told everyone to walk along 42nd to 8th ave for Port Authority. Knowledgeable NY'ers take the (1) to 59th for the IND if they are on the (2)(3) from TS, 96 or 42. Most times of the day you'll either pass or see a (1), TIS aside.

That (1) transfer at 59th is so good if you want to avoid Times Sq. When I used to come home from Cross Country meets up at Van Cortlandt Park I just took the (1) to the B/D at 59th to the E at 7th Ave., since wait times were always short. Beats walking anywhere in the vicinity of 42nd St. by a longshot.

I used to hate Lex/53rd cause it had that horrible undescribable stench, but they seem to have gotten rid of it so that's good

Now that you mention it, I used to hate that stench a few years ago. I don't know why it took them so long to get rid of it, but now that's gone the transfer is much more tolerable.

This idea actually makes a lot of sense. IDK why they didn't consider this when building the transfer at Park Pl.

Fulton St Complex: I hate the fact that no matter wat transfer you do, you have to use the (A)(C) platform

lol, You don't have to use the (A)(C) platform if you want to get from the (4)(5) to the (J)(Z). I haven't been there in a long while though, so IDK if Fulton St. Transit Center construction has changed that or not.

I disagree (notice I didn't say incorrect). Chambers is ideal for Stuyvesant and BMCC students. Park Place is closer to the financial district.

Not necessarily. The Financial District is a major destination but people don't necessarily use those transfers at the station to get there (like someone coming from Queens can just take the E to WTC, no use transferring at the station). Plus, having the transfer at Chambers St. would be more convenient since you also have a connection to the 1 (access to South Ferry), a shorter and easier passage, and offer the same transfer options as Chambers/Park Pl./WTC.

Here's my list as well

Best

Queensboro Plaza - easiest transfer in the system IMO. Transfers are all about proximity and ease of use.

59th St. - Lexington Ave. - This is a much better transfer than Lex and 53rd. There's nothing wrong with the transfer at 53rd, but when you're going to school everyday and using that transfer multiple times per week (when you miss the R at Queens Plaza lol) it's much less convenient than 59th. There's only one escalator at the absolute end of the platform (unless the escalator a little farther down is going up during the morning), so the westernmost cars are packed and the crowd distribution is poor. Crowding makes it very time consuming to make the transfer, and by the time you get to the 6 you've most likely missed a train. 6 trains like to leave a lot right as the platform comes within sight too. 59th is an easy transfer for all, unless you're trying to get from the 4/5 to the (6) (which you would probably be using Grand Central for anyway).

74th St. - Broadway varies in ease of use, depending on which exit you use. If you use the main one at the center of both platforms (Queens Blvd. & Flushing), the transfer can take time if it's crowded. The transfer near the ends of both platforms is faster overall.

Worst

Times Sq. / Port Authority. No competition here. Every single line except for the (1)(2)(3)(7) is far away from each other. The 42nd St. shuttle isn't even as useful as it could be because it's far from important trains at both stations that it uses. It would be better if the 8th Ave. platforms weren't offset but nooooo...

14th St. - 6th/7th Ave. - The first time I used this station a few years ago I was trying to get to the Northbound F and somehow found myself on the (L) platform. The transfer to the (1)(2)(3) (I've never used it) must be a real pain too.

Franklin (S) to the (A)(C). If you are trying to get to the Manhattan-bound platform then good luck. The transfer to the IRT isn't much better either. Just like the (G) it's a (mini) crosstown hampered by less than stellar transfers...

I believe that when a Brooklyn-Bound (2)or(3) departs Chambers, the first car touches Park Place, while the last car just exits Chambers, and vice versa for Uptown & The Bronx.

Also, besides the transfer Park Place is the (2)(3) lines' access to Broadway (south exit). Fulton St is too far away. But the issue is more there's no IND transfer from the (1) below 59th that's convenient.

My absolute least favorite transfer is from the (E)(M) to the (6) at 53rd. It's just far too many steps. It's easier to transfer in Queens to the (R) and go to 59th/Lex.

And don't even get me started on the (6) to the (F) at 63rd/Lex. Let's be real here: that's not a transfer. That's a hike.

For me worst transfer is not even a question

51st (6) to 53rd/Lex (E)(M)

The lack of multiple access points makes crowd conditions on the IND platform a daily hazard. The lack of multiple connecting staircases on the S/B IRT platform makes for a long wait to even get in or out of the transfer passageway. I'm well aware of the line's history and the fact that it was done "retroactively" but that still doesn't excuse it as the worst in the system. Others may be more inconvenient, but that one is dangerous.

As for best, I'd say Jay Street Borough Hall. Those lines (F) and (A)(C) did not "need" to meet at that station when the line was built, they could have just gone their separate ways in Brooklyn after the tube, but it is very helpful. It allows GO's to take one of those services out to work on the tubes and reroute back at either W4 or Jay. It allows riders to make a key connection. With the transfer from the (F) to the (R) at 4th Avenue, it gives a way to get to/from 4th Avenue BMT from the IND if one is looking for the IND Fulton Line. And best of all, it's across the platform and easy.

You all may hate me for this but:

That damn transfer at 42nd Street between the (7) and the (A)(C)(E) platforms is pretty damn long (and gets mighty crowded during those busy times), plus the religious nuts in that tunnel spewing all that crap about Jesus Christ being your salvation and expecting you to take those lousy pamphlets that are "the key" to your salvation from Hell and whatnot, I don't give two shits about those things- But there is a nice little set of signs somewhere along the support beams on the ceiling that say something about "Being late for work" and "Staying home" and whatnot, I think that's cool.

Oh, and that transfer between the (E) and the Lexington Avenue line in Manhattan (Lexington and 53rd!) is pretty cool, I like those colors!

What would your picks be for best and worst subway transfers and have you ever used the West 14th Street transfer between Sixth Avenue (F)(M) and Seventh Avenue (1)(2)(3)?

I actually just did that today (7th Av/6th Av); after having to go through hell just to hang out with a friend in Battery Park City. I never went through that particular transfer, and I regret doing it.

Negative:

• Fulton Street - Specifically (4)(5) to (2)(3). It's just hell.

• Lexington - 63rd (F) to 59th (4)(5)(6)(N)(Q)(R) - 63rd is so deep (and with it's fail escalators), that by the time you get up to the surface, I'm surprised the 2 hour limit hasn't passed. -.-

• 14 St / 6th Av (1)(2)(3)(F)(M)(L) - I now know why the signs used to spell FML now. :tdown:

• 149 - Grand Concourse isn't bad ; but I'd always take the long passage, not knowing about the simple turn which really irritated me -.-

On the other hand, Roosevelt Av/Broadway (E)(F)(M)(R) - (7) is one of the best. (unless you go through a certain passage)

:eek: The distance between the stations is that short? I just thought it was placed closer on the maps for space sake.

The BART system in my home-state of California would not be too fond of stations that close! [closest is about 1/4 mile at the least]

lol, You don't have to use the (A)(C) platform if you want to get from the (4)(5) to the (J)(Z). I haven't been there in a long while though, so IDK if Fulton St. Transit Center construction has changed that or not.

Where have you been lol...they changed that months ago. No matter what, now you must use the (A)(C) platforms since almost all the ramps are gone

...And don't even get me started on the (6) to the (F) at 63rd/Lex. Let's be real here: that's not a transfer. That's a hike.

That seemed like a moot transfer if you ask me. 4 blocks just to transfer is like hell, espically during the day when Lex Av is completely crowded by window shoppers & tourists

The transfer between Lexington Avenue/63rd Street and 59th Street is awesome.

Yeah, if you're not actually walking (hint hint) :P

The transfer between Lexington Avenue/63rd Street and 59th Street is awesome.

incorrect

My absolute least favorite transfer is from the (E)(M) to the (6) at 53rd. It's just far too many steps. It's easier to transfer in Queens to the (R) and go to 59th/Lex.

And don't even get me started on the (6) to the (F) at 63rd/Lex. Let's be real here: that's not a transfer. That's a hike.

I don't think anyone actually makes that transfer. The few people who use Lex/63rd are Hunter students or Bloomingdales shoppers.

Archived