Julian Assange, WikiLeaks Founder, Is Jailed in Britain

NX Express

07assange2-articleLarge.jpg

LONDON — After months of posting troves of classified American documents on the Internet, Julian Assange, founder of the WikiLeaks Web site, surrendered to British authorities and was jailed on Tuesday after a judge reviewing a Swedish extradition request found him to be a flight risk and denied him bail.

For Mr. Assange and his supporters, as well as for those who have condemned him for the brazen leak of American secrets, there was a bizarre twist in the fast-moving events at a London courthouse. Instead of being arrested for punching a gaping hole in the secret worlds of American military and diplomatic power, an outcome he has long predicted, Mr. Assange, a 39-year-old Australian, found himself ensnared in allegations stemming from brief sexual encounters this summer with two young Swedish women.

What lies ahead, beyond a new court appearance on Dec. 14, when Mr. Assange’s bail bid will be renewed, is a legal battle that could last weeks, or much longer.

That contest will focus on whether the Swedish request for Mr. Assange’s extradition to face questioning on charges of “rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion” is unrelated to WikiLeaks, as Swedish prosecutors and the women themselves say — or whether they are linked, in what Mr. Assange has called a smear campaign to punish him for his WikiLeaks activity.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/world/europe/08assange.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=assange&st=cse

I don't necessarily think he's an anarchist. He seems more anti-bullshit-in-government than anything else. Nonetheless, he has become a martyr for freedom of information. He's given a hell of a lot up in his travels...

I don't necessarily think he's an anarchist. He seems more anti-bullshit-in-government than anything else. Nonetheless, he has become a martyr for freedom of information. He's given a hell of a lot up in his travels...

But what's a government with out bullshit?

Actually, I look forward to seeing something different, and observing from the sidelines or partaking in this movement is something people should do. You'll never achieve something you never reach for, and saying a government without bullshit is impossible is giving up before anything has happened.

Again, if you had nothing to hide Wikileaks wouldn't have said anything about you...

Agreed, those diplomatic cables were a pretty read... Yep... Makes me wonder what other secrets our government holds... Have we really become so paranoid to the point where we actually keep "interesting" records that may either be true or not about every country in the world?

We may just be rushing towards our own demise at this rate... But I always love to watch a good drama unfold.

Archived