"Mark Madoff, oldest son of Bernie Madoff, hangs himself with dog leash in SoHo apartment: sources"

Shortline Bus

Mark Madoff, oldest son of Bernie Madoff, hangs himself with dog leash in SoHo apartment: sources

BY Alison Gendar, Jonathan Lemire and Larry Mcshane

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

December 11, 2010

"The eldest son of disgraced Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff hung himself Saturday with a dog leash on the second anniversary of his dad's arrest in the stunning $65 billion ripoff.

Mark Madoff, in desperate early morning e-mails to his wife, said he could no longer live with the curse put on the family by his disgraced dad, sources told the Daily News.

"At one point he said something like, 'You'll have a better life if I'm not around ... I love you ... Our son needs someone here,'" one source told the News.

Madoff, 46, was discovered hanging from a pipe inside the living room of his luxurious Mercer St. home in Soho around 7:30 a.m. by his father-in-law, who immediately called 911, the sources indicated.

Mark Madoff's 2-year-old son was asleep in another room, sources said, and his pet labradoodle was also in the home.

A despondent Madoff wrote his wife Stephanie that their family "would be better off without 'this' hanging over them all, forever," a second source said.

"He all but said he was going to kill himself - pointed enough for the wife to fear for his safety, and their child's safety."

Madoff's wife, who was out of town, was so upset that she called her father and sent him to the condo. The couple had two children, son Nicholas and older daughter Audrey.

The blood of the son was on the hands of his father, according to Mark Madoff's lawyer.

"Mark was an innocent victim of his father's monstrous crime, who succumbed to two years of unrelenting pressure from false accusations and innuendo," said his attorney, Martin Flumenbaum.

"We are all deeply saddened by this shocking turn of events."

NYPD detectives stood outside the family home as an SUV from the medical examiner's office arrived Saturday morning.

A police source describing the crime scene said Mark Madoff wore khaki pants, a dark blue pullover and white socks when he took his life.

Madoff's body was brought out of the posh building, where the condo owners include Jon Bon Jovi, at 12:22 p.m.

Mark Madoff joined his father's crooked business in 1986 and is a defendant in numerous civil suits, but he faces no criminal charges.

A law enforcement source said Mark Madoff was becoming increasingly concerned that would change.

"The son knew he was in the cross hairs," the source said. "At first he thought he would somehow skate, but once \[the trustee recovering assets for investors\] detailed the family theft, he knew his time was limited."

One day before his body was discovered, Madoff stopped by the garage where he parked his 2008 black Land Rover to drop off a Christmas card and a $400 tip."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/12/11/2010-12-11_bernie_madoffs_son_mark_hangs_himself_in_soho_apartment_sources_say.html#ixzz17paNNiNc

GREAT JOB!.. Whats the matter Mark? Couldnt deal with the fact that your ass was going to be in the poor house or in jail like poppa now that the feds are going after you and the rest of your thieving family?

One less white collar piece of garbage theif in this world...

You all know that last week the FBI said they would be prosectuing this guy because he was also part of all of this right?

This coward bailed out of life to escape prosecution..

Nothing sad about this at all.

Nice how the daily news portrays him as an innocent son being tormented by his fathers curse...This is BS. He had been running and organization that was involved in his pops business.

Do you people really think his sons had absolutely no knowdledge of this the whole time? Yeah right.. They were down with the scam..

GREAT JOB!.. Whats the matter Mark? Couldnt deal with the fact that your ass was going to be in the poor house or in jail like poppa now that the feds are going after you and the rest of your thieving family?

One less white collar piece of garbage theif in this world...

You all know that last week the FBI said they would be prosectuing this guy because he was also part of all of this right?

This coward bailed out of life to escape prosecution..

Nothing sad about this at all.

Nice how the daily news portrays him as an innocent son being tormented by his fathers curse...This is BS. He had been running and organization that was involved in his pops business.

Do you people really think his sons had absolutely no knowdledge of this the whole time? Yeah right.. They were down with the scam..

I agree with this although I would've been far less about it.

I do feel bad because at the end of the day this is someone who died and has a family. I feel bad for the family.

At the same time I'm disgusted that he'd take his own life and that the Madoff's would do this in the first place. Rich SOB.

:tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

Tasteful.

It's a man dead, for god's sake. Even if it's Madoff himself, it's still sad.

I have no sympathy for the rich who kill themselves because they can't handle getting caught or being involved in illegal activity, or because they can't handle life without vast riches.

He was a coward and he took the coward's way out. He deserved what he got.

If life is so hard with money I'll gladly take it all from them so they can go to a "simpler time". When you value nothing but money, all the money in the world won't make your life better, you'll just want more.

Rich people in America are some of the most pathetic, selfish, greedy a-holes around. When one of them bites the bullet so to speak of their own choosing, I don't feel one OUNCE of sympathy for them.

Not all death is sad. By logical extension of your argument, people should have mourned the deaths of Stalin and Hitler. I say, not so.

Archived