7 Train to Hoboken

matthewhandler

I'm sorry if I thought your comments on the differences between the trains' trip valves was missing the point, but if you think that combing services between the lines in a multi-billion dollar project is going to come down to which side the trip valve happens to lie on the current rail fleet, you're stuck on minutia.

Why would they extend two different divisions to the same place? (divisions being A and :P

If the 7 ever made it that far, they sure as hell wouldn't include the L in their plans. Remember; with this 7 train extension, they can't even afford to put one more station into the completed plan. (Reference: 41st and 10th). The one station extension is estimated to cost in the area of $2 Billion. So do this: $2 billion for a 12 block extension. Now at that rate, think about how many blocks it is to Hoboken. You're talking in the area of the tens of billions of dollars to complete that project. Now think about how much the tunnel would cost.

Now since the 7 would be going to Hoboken, what's the need for the L to go there too? If the extension were to happen, all people would have to do is get off at Grand Central, take the 4 or 5 one stop to Union Square and there's your L.

who died and left you in charge? if he want's to say something, he has a right to say it.

Oh, you didn't know?

kanye-west-taylor-swift-vma-outburst-video.jpg

B):P

(sorry, had to do that)

Why would they extend two different divisions to the same place? (divisions being A and B)

If the 7 ever made it that far, they sure as hell wouldn't include the L in their plans. Remember; with this 7 train extension, they can't even afford to put one more station into the completed plan. (Reference: 41st and 10th). The one station extension is estimated to cost in the area of $2 Billion. So do this: $2 billion for a 12 block extension. Now at that rate, think about how many blocks it is to Hoboken. You're talking in the area of the tens of billions of dollars to complete that project. Now think about how much the tunnel would cost.

Now since the 7 would be going to Hoboken, what's the need for the L to go there too? If the extension were to happen, all people would have to do is get off at Grand Central, take the 4 or 5 one stop to Union Square and there's your L.

QUOTE]

That's a good point. I figured if they were to build a tunnel that was big enough to some day accomodate the L, and the platform in Hoboken had a dual island that was perhaps closed off like the F at 63rd street, with an option to open it up in the future, then the 7 could run there and all the MTA would need to do in the future would be build a connection to the 7 before it dipped into the Hudson. The L was more of a logical step if the 7 would be travelling south to 14th street. But I think in my original post I had just planned on extending the 7 to Hoboken. The Grand Central switch to Union Square is a piece of cake the way the platforms line up.

I'm sorry but I'd rather hear "extending the (7) train to New Jersey" talk over "extending the (G) to who-knows-where" talk LOL

LOL! I don't blame you but most of these clowns have not exactly come up with any bright ideas for a (7) extension to NJ that would work.....

I have an idea, let's extend the (G) back to Forest Hills! LMAO :P

I'm sorry but I'd rather hear "extending the (7) train to New Jersey" talk over "extending the (G) to who-knows-where" talk LOL

I'd rather hear none of it :P

I have an idea, let's extend the (G) back to Forest Hills! LMAO :D

Jay Walder said No :P

What needs to happen is that 3 billion goes to funding projects already underway...

I whole heartedly agree with this. If there is $3 billion sitting aroudn at the PANYNJ, dedicate that money towards existing infrastructure projects that will undoubtedly run into cost overruns and delays.

My proposal was more of a response to the proposal to extend the 7 to Secaucus. I personally think (as you are now abundantly clear on) that extending the 7 to Hoboken would accomplish all of the goals of extending the 7 to Secaucus, at substantially less cost. And would include additional benefits. That was my only point to be made by my posting.

I knew they would use it on automobile traffic. Their Governor care only about automobiles. Why does every single American care about cars rather then rail. Cars only harm the environment, and if we don't subsitute gasoline in time or find a replacement even in energy use this nation is doomed.

On a good note the (MTA) could beg the US Government to give money, but most likely no. The Government is in debt, and we have no money left in the Federal Reserve.

You guys do know that the $3 billion has already been allocated to other projects, right?

Full story here.

I don't believe anything has been decided. And don't believe anything will be decided until Governor-Elect Cuomo takes office. Nevertheless, the money should definitely be allocated to previously planned projects like the GWB Cable Repair, or Lincoln Tunnel Approach. Too bad the PANYNJ doesn't have control of the Tappan Zee Bridge, that thing is going to fall into the river before it ever gets replaced.

Archived