Will Anyone Get Hired by MTA Before 2019?

Donald

I tell all the youngsters take every city test even if you collect quarters from meters till what ever (PD FD DSNY) test comes or calls you and your pension time will roll over in back end. But if I had to I would have took all them myself instead of hanging out smoking doobies & banging chicks!

As one of the "older" people who are on a MTA list(41 yrs old)you are 100% correct Flash. I had my head in the sand going from one dead end job to another as well as buying a franchise that I had to hire a lawyer to settle out of court.

DSNY 6063 exam was my 1st(2007) but my list #(5,000's) is not even going to come close. Luckily I have a decent list number on the 8006 B/O exam.

So no matter what I will be working well into my 70's

as long as I am healthy of course.

I have to start the pension clock, the sooner the better.

Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.

I was 43 when I was hired earlier this year as a train operator.Better late than never is what I always go by.

While transit life does take some time to adjust to it is 100000000X better than the industry I left which was a Retail Supermarket Reset/merchandiser.I was in the business for 22 years and worked my ass off with NO overtime whatsoever.No pension.Nothing.I have been paid for every minute I have worked here this year.

I never again have to worry about filing out applications,going on interviews and being turned down for one reason or another,stress from not having a higher paying job,deling with less hours which equals less pay,loss of benefits.

I am happy to be here and would not change it for anything.

I hear you, I was an assistant manager at a supermarket in Brooklyn up until the owner sold it to CVS. I turned down his offer to go work at a new store in Staten Island, I live in Queens, just nit worth it.

Like you I worked 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hr days, paid straight time with no OT. I had to deal with all those miserable Russians in bath beach, they have no shame,

once this old guy tried walking out of the store with a big

bottle of olive oil under his coat...:P

What is this with stepping on third rails? When and why does this have to happen as a T/O or C/R? Thanks.

Train operators and conductors both have to be track qualified to do their jobs. That means, knowing how to properly and safely step OVER (not on) a third rail.

This is done fairly early in training as a "weeding out" process, so the more that get weeded out and "won't" do this, the faster everyone else will get called.

Conductors have to step over third rails when flagging. Train operators have to step over third rails to get to and from their trains in yards and on other non revenue track.

What's it like stepping over the 3rd rail? Is it scarry? Do you get used to it after a while, or is it scarry each and every time you do it?

I thought you started this new thread stating that your father is a retired c/r and you know everything about the job. Why are you asking all these silly questions?

What's it like stepping over the 3rd rail? Is it scarry? Do you get used to it after a while, or is it scarry each and every time you do it?

I believe the word is s-c-a-r-y. The idea is to NEVER get used to it. Never get too comfortable with any aspect of RTO, transit, or any other job you may do in life. Comfort, especially down here, leads to accidents or, at worst, death. I was in RTO for almost 30 years but I remember very clearly what I was taught the first day in schoolcar. Be careful and watch where you step. I think that any transit hourly or supervisor will second me on that.

Archived