Wal-Mart Tries Again for New York City Store

NX Express

walmart-articleInline.jpg

The New York City Council was supposed to hold a hearing this Tuesday about a renewed campaign by Wal-Mart to open its stores in the city.

But it had to be rescheduled, for January.

“We needed a bigger room,” the Council speaker, Christine C. Quinn, said. “We heard from unions all across the city, small business leaders from across the city. It’s a growing list of people.”

Wal-Mart, an inescapable part of the retail landscape just about everywhere except in New York City, twice retreated on efforts to open stores in the city after fierce community opposition.

Now it is back, and mounting an aggressive campaign to crack the country’s largest urban market. Wal-Mart is looking at properties in each of the five boroughs and has hired Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s former campaign manager, Bradley Tusk, to help coordinate its lobbying efforts.

Bill de Blasio, the city’s public advocate, predicted, “They’re not going to find it easy to get serious public support.”

“As you reap,” Mr. de Blasio added, “so shall you sow, and they’ve had a really bad history. You can talk to people across the spectrum and they’ve all heard something about the problems of Wal-Mart.”

The renewed push by Wal-Mart comes five years after the retailer tried to open stores in Queens and Staten Island but faced furious opposition from community leaders and elected officials. But the retailer and its supporters, and even its opponents, say that the dynamics have changed and that the city has become more receptive to so-called big-box stores, like Target and Ikea.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/nyregion/13walmart.html?ref=nyregion

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wal Mart is allowed to set up stores wherever they want there is nothing in the constitution against that. People are allowed to set up their business anywhere, because you can't stop it. This is a free market economy if they don't it then those New Yorkers should get out, because no one can stop a business.

If there's Targets in the city, why not Walmart?

Thats how it is down here in South Jersey. Where ever theres a Walmart, there is a Target near by. I dont like Target, too much red involved with them l0l.

As for Walmart, I pass 4 of them on the 553 and there all jammed packed. There big giant ones to. I mean I dont mind shopping there, for like the cheaper food items. Its just the employees that are some real cats.

why not put one by the atlantic mall... hell, put it right next to the brooklyn nets stadium... I mean, let's be strategic about this... go ahead and put bike lanes on the notorious 4th/atlantic/flatbush av intersections while we're at it.... let's really show the world why NYC has some of the worst drivers in the nation !

Of course that's all sarcasm, but I swear this city has long gone to pot.....

so much for that NASCAR track out in SI huh....

I hope a walmart in NYC suffers the same feat....

if they dont want WalMart its their loss, the people, they can easily take the bus to Green Acres Mall and go to the wall mart there, or to Westbury or to that one thats in Westchester somewhere, so thats less city sales tax revenue. But no, New York City cant have anything, no football stadium, no nascar track, no salt in the food, and no walmart.

if they dont want WalMart its their loss, the people, they can easily take the bus to Green Acres Mall and go to the wall mart there, or to Westbury or to that one thats in Westchester somewhere, so thats less city sales tax revenue. But no, New York City cant have anything, no football stadium, no nascar track, no salt in the food, and no walmart.

There's Walmarts in White Plains, Sunrise Mall and Commack

You're shitting me. As if hicks driving around in a circle for two and a half hours was bad enough, they tried to take it down south. They already claimed Watkins Glen, which was once one of the best racetracks North America had to offer. That's why no one goes to it anymore.

I don't want another incident like that one here in '08. I have refused to go anywhere near that area since that year.

You're shitting me. As if hicks driving around in a circle for two and a half hours was bad enough, they tried to take it down south. They already claimed Watkins Glen, which was once one of the best racetracks North America had to offer. That's why no one goes to it anymore.

I don't want another incident like that one here in '08. I have refused to go anywhere near that area since that year.

I was getting more at the idea that they don't want to build anything here, unless its something stupid like a useless "community center", bike lanes, or another obstacle in the road to make drivers even further enraged, like that crap they put in midtown.

Crap-Mart needs to stay away.

If other people abhor Walmart then why should that affect me?

Because the people that hate it control whether or not one shows up.

like that crap they put in midtown.

Ah yes, the pedestrishit plazas. Another one of Bloomturd's creations.

Wal-mart is far and away by miles the least ethical retail company in the world. Even after tons of lawsuits and even some changes, they consistently rank last in business ethics listings due to numerous questionable hiring and other policies. Also they are anti-union and they only strive to drive out competition, then they close down that location & leave people without jobs & huge big box structures & parking lots empty creating blight.

Company has no place being in business at all, let alone in nyc.

- A

Wal Mart is allowed to set up stores wherever they want there is nothing in the constitution against that. People are allowed to set up their business anywhere, because you can't stop it. This is a free market economy if they don't it then those New Yorkers should get out, because no one can stop a business.
You're really showing your ignorance. Since when do the rights of the businesses trump the benefits and rights of citizens? If a business will impact a mass portion of it's citizens in a negative way, then the government who is here to protect and act on behalf of it's constituents should restrict it.

IAWTP. It's not even about Walmart. Heck, Target has 95% of the stuff they sell at Walmart and the lines are much shorter. The point is that I don't like people telling me what I can and can't do. If other people abhor Walmart then why should that affect me?

Because the majority of people are opposed to it, therefor, you in the minority must deal with it.

I don't see Walmart coming to New York City, ever.

I'm going to shop wherever the hell I want to. If you don't like Walmart, no one's forcing you to shop there but don't infringe on someone else's right to shop.

What big deal does it make? There are tons of other places to shop at so what difference does it make just because there's no WalMart in New York City? Last time I checked you live by a bus route that plugs into Green Acres Mall in Nassau County where there's a Walmart so what's your point? You have it better than a lot of others who so desperately want a Walmart in city limits.

I'm sorry but a Walmart in New York City will do major harm and no good.

You're really showing your ignorance. Since when do the rights of the businesses trump the benefits and rights of citizens? If a business will impact a mass portion of it's citizens in a negative way, then the government who is here to protect and act on behalf of it's constituents should restrict it.

The Right to Contract Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment regulates businesses but still, I'm sick of this Nanny State government. While we're at it, let's close every McDonalds since fast food makes people obese.

I don't see Walmart coming to New York City, ever.

What big deal does it make? There are tons of other places to shop at so what difference does it make just because there's no WalMart in New York City? Last time I checked you live by a bus route that plugs into Green Acres Mall in Nassau County where there's a Walmart so what's your point? You have it better than a lot of others who so desperately want a Walmart in city limits.

I'm sorry but a Walmart in New York City will do major harm and no good.

It depends on where you put it, it's not gonna be bad for all of NYC since all of NYC isn't the same. Why not put one in the South Bronx? Suburban Staten Island? Queens? I don't see any negatives in those, not everyone is within walking distance of a store or real store anyways (I'm not saying Walmart would be in walking distance) but I don't see that much harm done except to maybe 99 cent stores. 99 cent stores don't cover everything and 99% of what they have is low quality anyways but I still think they'd be around.

I don't care if Walmart comes to NYC as I live in the outskirts of the city and I have a local Walmart. I don't shop there on a regular basis but Green Acres is good to have close by, it's no Roosevelt Field or Garden State Plaza but it's decent for a very local mall. I don't care if it's Nassau County (I always felt closer to Long Island anyways) and NYC gets no revenue, my neighborhood has no real stores so where are people supposed to go? To a Bodega or Junk Store to keep the money in the "city"? I have to walk a mile if I'm going to those so I could care less.

Wal Mart better hurry up and come to NYC. NYC needs Wal Mart like yesterday. I'm all for Wal Mart in the 5 boroughs and I can't wait to shop there! Its gonna happen, whether you like it or not! :tup:

Agreed. As FG and others have stated if you don't like Wal-Mart you don't have to shop there.

Many of you critics of Wal Mart (I am not condoing their business pratices but they are far from the only ones who violating them)are forgoting a large number of New Yorkers who are stuck with overpriced stores in poor/working class neighborhoods. Other than dollar stores in some places mainly in the outerboroughs why should someone pay $5.00 for a gallon of milk or $8.00 for overpriced underwear?

In this economy I am sure a huge # of customers really could use them. The "C" word aka compromise has become a dirty word these days and you can limit the locations of a proposed Wal Marts as well to keep the mom and pop in business.

Archived