Wal-Mart Tries Again for New York City Store

NX Express

Agreed. As FG and others have stated if you don't like Wal-Mart you don't have to shop there.

Many of you critics of Wal Mart (I am not condoing their business pratices but they are far from the only ones who violating them)are forgoting a large number of New Yorkers who are stuck with overpriced stores in poor/working class neighborhoods. Other than dollar stores in some places mainly in the outerboroughs why should someone pay $5.00 for a gallon of milk or $8.00 for overpriced underwear?

You sure you ain't making things up just so you can have a role in this thread???

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other than dollar stores in some places mainly in the outerboroughs why should someone pay $5.00 for a gallon of milk or $8.00 for overpriced underwear?

No, see, milk in the other boroughs costs $2-3 dollars. In Manhattan is where it's $5+. Especially in all those god dang "health food" stores.

I don't see Walmart coming to New York City, ever.

What big deal does it make? There are tons of other places to shop at so what difference does it make just because there's no WalMart in New York City? Last time I checked you live by a bus route that plugs into Green Acres Mall in Nassau County where there's a Walmart so what's your point? You have it better than a lot of others who so desperately want a Walmart in city limits.

I'm sorry but a Walmart in New York City will do major harm and no good.

Take a visit to a bodegda or small grocery store in outerborough neighborhoods not shopping areas and yes it can be as much as $4-$5 and no it's not Manhattan.

My point is why should famailies living in poorer areas of the city be stuck going to stories near their house that charge as much as $4-$5 a gallon for milk or other products. And Pathmark/Key Food is not that cheap either.

LRG you don't have to worry since I assume you still live with your parents.

Many people are struggling in this ongoing troubled economy.

I only suggested NYC follow the lead of a city like Philly in which they are only allowed a couple of Wal Mart's to open. Philly like NYC is a union town.

My point is why should famailies living in poorer areas of the city be stuck going to stories near their house that charge as much as $4-$5 a gallon for milk or other products. And Pathmark/Key Food is not that cheap either.

I only suggested NYC follow the lead of a city like Philly in which they are only allowed a couple of Wal Mart's to open. Philly like NYC is a union town.

Ok and??? So what if I live with my parents? What are you trying to prove???

You guys are glorifying Walmart in NYC as much as giving attention to extending the (G) train to who knows where? Lemme take a guess, wherever they end up putting a Walmart you guys are going to want to extend the (G) train to serve it?

I'd really like to know what you find so special about Walmart based on all the bad publicity it has gotten. You don't even live in NYC so why do you care?

No. If anything, stick one in SI near one of those massive malls. That's the closest we get to the suburbs: Conservative, car-owning, sprawling.

What's wrong with a community center? I love how you've written it suspiciously with the "quotation marks" emphasizing the "questionable motives" of the "community center." Come on now, what's wrong with a center? You may not go, I may not go, but we still need them. They offer a potentially very important sense of community in a city where we have anything but.

A lot of them are just pork projects to make the current municipal administration look like they are doing something.

Bike lanes, work of the devil. "Obstacles," lord help me!!

People don't drive in New York. We just don't. You may, people you know may, but believe it or not, the majority of people in ALL of the five boroughs do not own cars. [Long Island isn't a borough.] And fewer even drive the cars they own. So improving the area for pedestrians is improving the area for the MAJORITY of people, which means that you and the people who so loudly voice their complaints are in the minority. And frankly, it's been shown the pedestrian plazas work to ease traffic, they improve pedestrian travel, and are generally pleasant. So you and the rest of the minority you argue with need to find some grounds before you just dump on a good idea. And bike lanes? What on earth could be your problem with bike lanes? Was it more fun hitting the bikers when they were in the street?

they take away parking and traffic lanes. They're a waste of money that could be spent fixing potholes or making the parkways safer. There's plenty of cars in Queens and Staten Island. I'm not a fan of all this traffic calming BS, the roads should be designed to get the most amount of people through at the highest safe speeds possible, and in our high tech lifestyles, the less obstacles on the road for drivers to deal with, the better.

Lastly, Walmart is a bad group. They screw their employees out of benefits, monopolize local businesses, and cater purely to the public's ignorant demands. When they thought the public wanted guns, Walmart started selling the lethal weapons just to try to turn a profit. They are a disgusting group that has become a symbol of America, and we don't need them. And this claim that Walmart has every right to build, that they are the victim? Do me a favor... People are allowed to voice their complaints, we have communities. Businesses aren't allowed to do anything they want, thank you very much, and if people are vocal in their opposition everybody starts feeling sorry for Walmart?

No. Let them stay away. If y'all would like to hold a Walmart rally and dump on bike lanes and pedestrian plazas while toting your freshly bought firearms, be my guest. But do it in somewhere besides NYC.

/rant

Oh please, you think Target, Costco, or Home Depot or any of the other big stores are any better? Theyre all the same, Wal Mart just gets the stigma.

Pathmark's cheap if you have a club card

A gallon of milk around me is 2.59.....

its one thing to build a beach, or a state park, its another to spend millions on a shiny new building that hardly gets used. They put up one or two of those things near where I live and I hardly see anyone go in there. The land would have been better off as more unrestricted LIRR parking which is sorely needed in that area. Its more of a case of here's money use it or loose it but if you use it you must do such and such with it instead of having the freedom to decide where it will do the best good. Much like the stimulus money can only go to MTA capital projects, not general upkeep and keeping service from being cut, so we wind up with ideas that are best kept to fantasy maps

Agreed. As FG and others have stated if you don't like Wal-Mart you don't have to shop there.

Many of you critics of Wal Mart (I am not condoing their business pratices but they are far from the only ones who violating them)are forgoting a large number of New Yorkers who are stuck with overpriced stores in poor/working class neighborhoods. Other than dollar stores in some places mainly in the outerboroughs why should someone pay $5.00 for a gallon of milk or $8.00 for overpriced underwear?

In this economy I am sure a huge # of customers really could use them. The "C" word aka compromise has become a dirty word these days and you can limit the locations of a proposed Wal Marts as well to keep the mom and pop in business.

If a wal-mart were to come here, I won't shop there.... You don't have to worry about that.

The problem is a wal-mart COMING here.... they would be in in direct competition w/ the many mom & pop stores we have in NYC...

example:

now that you see all these rite aid's & walgreen's poppin up everywhere, look at what happened to the local drug stores- either hangin on by a thread, or gone with the wind (which has happened to THREE local drug stores in my area)....

so don't sit there & tell me that limiting locations of a box store will keep mom & pop stores in business b/c you & I know that's bullshit.... all you need is ONE box store to significantly affect business (for the worse) for the mom & pop store... I mean ish' like this is why we're losing the sense of community as it is..... The movie Barbershop (either one of them) is a good example that well illustrated that point....

...and stop lying about milk costing $5 a gallon & $8 for a pair of drawers....

I know women pay egregious prices for vic secret panties (hell, they look good in em !!)... but us dudes, who you foolin... you can go right to macy's & get the 3 boxers/$5 pack... and for y'all tighty-whitey ma'f**kaz, there's the 5/$10 pack IINM....

We in the outerboroughs aint goin broke buying odds & ends, so kill that mentality quick...

You can be pro-wal-mart w/o having to exaggerate things....

I'd really like to know what you find so special about Walmart based on all the bad publicity it has gotten. You don't even live in NYC so why do you care?

The prices.

That's the only argument I've heard out of the wal-mart supporters thus far....

I don't see Walmart coming to New York City, ever.

What big deal does it make? There are tons of other places to shop at so what difference does it make just because there's no WalMart in New York City? Last time I checked you live by a bus route that plugs into Green Acres Mall in Nassau County where there's a Walmart so what's your point?

You have it better than a lot of others who so desperately want a Walmart in city limits.

Yeah, I don't quite get that either from him...this man lives closer to one than most, yet he's complaining about someone infringing on his right to shop...

Jon is correct, Target is no better, in fact, it's VERY MUCH like Walmart! Let me enlighten you all!

Quote below:

Target is a corrupt store, that pushes workers to unreachable limits. The average worker keeps his job for 1 day to 30 days, before being fired or quits. Employee moral is always low, other workers pressure new comers to leave if the college option is open to them. Target employees have to call customers: guests, co-workers: team members, boss: leader, and put on a fake smile every day. There's two divisions of Target's work force. You work 40 hours a week and no more, over time can result in termination or time cut the following week.

There is also a stupid line EVERY "team member" (another cutesy freakin' name for Target Slave) has to ask every "guest", and that is, "Can I help you find something?". First off, most customers HATE being asked if they need help, secondly it's gramatically incorrect, and thirdly if you don't ask it and your GSTL/ETL/TL (stupid names for freakin' supervisors) catch you NOT saying it you'll get reprimanded.

Dayside: Working 10AM-12AM Dayside deals with guests, zones isles, get's harassed, and sells products. Day side always needs to be on their toes if a guest hits the infamous red box of doom in the isles. Day side needs to know the store or have their ass chewed out by Team Leaders. Day side gets f*cked into 15 minute breaks, and the second highest fire rate in the store. Dayside hates the over night team.

Overnight: Where I work, and single handedly the longest 8 hours (plus) one can work at Target. You're locked in the store, and must stock the entire place in 8 hours. Including backstock. The night begins with the line, putting boxes that come off the line onto pallets then bowling those into aisles. After that you take break, then start pushing the isles. Take break, work, then leave. During this time bosses are everywhere telling you to hustle, and riding your ass. Overnight has the highest quit/fire rate in Target. No point in knowing people who join, they wont be there long enough.

Lol. Reminds a lot about my old job. Except we didn't have to handle unloading the trucks. Second shift and the backroom team handled that. Sucked for them.

You know, I think some of you seem to have forgotten that there are two aspects about Wal-Mart that makes it excel much more than other stores, and that is the Electronics & Toys department where discounts and bundles are actually given and well priced. Mostly 60% of shoppers goes to Wal-Mart for that section alone. Most of the time, you see customers walking out with TVs, PS3s, Xbox 360s, games, all sorts of toys and so-on. So in that aspect, it would be in direct competition with the other competitive markets like Best Buy, Toys R Us and so-on. That would be the only reason I'd go to Wal-Mart, for their electronics section.

Given that this Wal-Mart is a huge threat to other necessities around East New York, keep in mind that all the stuff that they sell there are not usually lower than the prices at the local markets. For example, you'd see a gallon of Hawaiian Punch for $2.50 where other places would have it for $2.00. I seen other places that had stuff a lot cheaper than Wal-Mart so I wouldnt say that this is a big threat, it is a threat, but not a big one.

And I gotta agree with MHV9218 on this point, not everyone in NYC has cars, so if this wal-mart was located in an area thats not available to Public Transit, that would indeed help the businesses of the local mom & pop stores and the supermarkets that surround their area. I've seen this effect occur in several New Jersey Wal-Mart / Super Wal-Mart locations, the one in Kearny, NJ is far from being accessible to public transit, as it is one hell of a walk from the bus & the PATH, the local stores and markets nearby were seeing a good amount of customers. So IF this Wal-Mart comes into the city, which I highly doubt. The best thing to do is to just wait and see before you all start getting pitchforks and torches ready to burn it down.

Also, this brings up an interesting question, if this planned Wal-Mart doesnt affect you or your neighborhood, why the hell are some of you going crazy about it in the first place? If you dont live in the planned area then you shouldnt even be concerned!! I think some common sense was lost in this thread....

You know, I think some of you seem to have forgotten that there are two aspects about Wal-Mart that makes it excel much more than other stores, and that is the Electronics & Toys department where discounts and bundles are actually given and well priced. Mostly 60% of shoppers goes to Wal-Mart for that section alone. Most of the time, you see customers walking out with TVs, PS3s, Xbox 360s, games, all sorts of toys and so-on. So in that aspect, it would be in direct competition with the other competitive markets like Best Buy, Toys R Us and so-on. That would be the only reason I'd go to Wal-Mart, for their electronics section.

Their games and electronics are on par with the same pricing of Best Buy. There is no "discount" worthwhile worthy to bring Wal-Mart into NYC.

Archived