Wal-Mart Tries Again for New York City Store

NX Express

When I used your name I was being facetious

As for the mik, it's the corner bodega so that's why I kept going back. However, I now get my milk and produce from Pathmark.

We all know that sarcasm doesn't translate very well in text form :P

But nevertheless, it's up to state legislature to decide whether we get one or not. However SubwayGuy has a point in his post and in case anyone's wondering it's not just the sole fact that he is right but it's the downright truth, especially the part about the local businesses. I get along very well with these store owners who live a minute away from my house and in the event that I come up short of money they'll allow me to take something and give them the money back at a later time. It's not always the best thing to do but it's a way of establishing relationships like SG said as well as trust.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all know that sarcasm doesn't translate very well in text form :P

But nevertheless, it's up to state legislature to decide whether we get one or not. However SubwayGuy has a point in his post and in case anyone's wondering it's not just the sole fact that he is right but it's the downright truth, especially the part about the local businesses. I get along very well with these store owners who live a minute away from my house and in the event that I come up short of money they'll allow me to take something and give them the money back at a later time. It's not always the best thing to do but it's a way of establishing relationships like SG said as well as trust.

LRG I do agree if some of the crappy the mom and pop stores especially in the outerboros had sold good products and now charge outragous prices for Milk, there would not be a need for Wal Mart and other 'box stores."

I know there also some great mom and pop stores that provide reasonable prices as well.

LRG I do agree if some of the crappy the mom and pop stores especially in the outerboros had sold good products and now charge outragous prices for Milk, there would not be a need for Wal Mart and other 'box stores."

I know there also some great mom and pop stores that provide reasonable prices as well.

But that's not true. Just because there are one or two places that you are thinking of that are ripoffs does not mean there is not another mom and pop store down the block, or a couple away with decent prices.

We have that here. That's why I never go to the damn Korean grocer across the street. Because the 5 times I went there, everything was $5. Plus they're rude and provide shitty service, snap at me, and shoot me dirty looks every time I've bought beer from them even after seeing my ID. And the one time they didn't give me enough change (I counted), they claimed they had no nickels and tried to stick me with their short, so after a brief argument they agreed to give me a quarter and I made them change.

You have bad apples everywhere.

So I go to OTHER neighborhood places instead. Hell I use the local hardware place both here and in my adventures in Connecticut, rather than Home Depot. Both provide better service. Home Depot carries craptastic Behr Paint, and nothing else. The local place ordered paint specifically for me because I asked them to and held it for a week. The Connecticut place would do the same thing. Also they frequently give me free sodas and food during the summer. Why? "Customer appreciation." Walmart and Home Depot never gave me a damn thing I didn't pay for.

No matter what, I'd never go so far as to want a Walmart anywhere around me or in this entire city, even if that grocer across the street I hate cloned itself 5x. I'd just find another neighborhood place to go. Because when you hate Walmart and Walmart kills the competition in favor of outsourcing, then you don't have any other options. With small businesses, you still have options if you don't like the closest one.

Two words, Green Acres. (Direct access to the LIRR & the local bus routes). And it seems as if you are misunderstanding things, not everyone here is supporting Wal-Mart. And there is no "DIRE need", so you can take that and stick it.

And PLUS, what some people dont seem to realize is that a majority NYers shop out of the city or state, a majority goes to NJ to save money on the tax. I'm not with or against this Wal-Mart because personally, I dont care cause it doesnt affect my neighborhood (imagine that, a Wal-Mart in Lower East Side lol....) but in a sense, it shouldnt come to NYC at all.

Well, the Q5/85 have actually decent service to GA... but not the LI routes. Everyone just goes to RF.

Most of the traffic at my Wal-Mart (that one where some worker was trampled) is from Queens, anyway.

my posts continue to fly over some people's heads on this forum....

I'm not gonna take time out to repeat myself anymore....

two, I haven't heard an interesting reason out of the guys that want a walmart here, yet.... and this idea that they should open a store here, just because "they can"... I mean, wtf.... That's like asking someone something... they reply back with "why".... and you reply back with "why not"...

But I'll continue watching Shortline come out w/ lies... I meant, posts... about how that much more expensive mom & pop stores are, in accordance to painting this picture that walmart is so goddamn great...

I'll continue watching FG post stories about how unsanitary his local bodega is, implying that areas in NYC don't have OTHER bodega's in their neighborhood... implying that most bodega's are nasty just like that one... Yeah, I see what you tried to do w/ that little subtle statement of yours... I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt where you were being called out on your elitist ways.... Can't do it anymore... Worse, you don't even try to hide it...

....but let me stop infringing on your right to shop !

my posts continue to fly over some people's heads on this forum....

I'm not gonna take time out to repeat myself anymore....

two, I haven't heard an interesting reason out of the guys that want a walmart here, yet.... and this idea that they should open a store here, just because "they can"... I mean, wtf.... That's like asking someone something... they reply back with "why".... and you reply back with "why not"...

But I'll continue watching Shortline come out w/ lies... I meant, posts... about how that much more expensive mom & pop stores are, in accordance to painting this picture that walmart is so goddamn great...

!

B35 you call me a liar! I always bring facts to the board and you taking your hatred of Wal Mart to problems that thousands of NYC and other inner city residents have in being stuck with a few mom & pop stores that are overpriced. Yes, There are also many 'mom and pop' stores that also offer affordable prices.

Not just in Coney Island but even when I lived with a roommate 6 years ago in Bushwick. The nearby small supermarkets like Associated was price inflated.

You B35 are on the NYC Democrtaic Party payroll on something in your hatred of Wal-Mart?:tdown:

Even I said Wal-Mart should open in NYC, I mainly shop there for stuff like Toilet Paper and other bulk stuff maybe every month or two.

Again B35 if you don't like Wal Mart, I never said for you to shop there.

When I do grocery shopping I usually shop at a Shop Rite, Stop and Shop or Price Chopper that are within a 15-minute drive of my house.

The whole point I been making is that NYC residents living in lower income areas that don't have as many services such as banks or larger supermarkets should have even more access to the box stores and not to drive or take a bus 30 minutes or more for reasonable prices. This is what America is all about.

Just my takes.

I don't think I've said this before, but I don't think anyone's heard about Walmart's prices being not-so-low these days. It was even mentioned in a newspaper article. Sure, you might find one or more things a few dollars lower than the traditional drug store (beauty supply, Duane Reade, CVS, yes I'm looking at you) but a majority of the time things are priced just as high as any other damn store.

Hell, I'd poke into Target every now and then to see how prices compared between the two. Target sells their 8-10 pack AA or AAA batteries for $5.99 while Walmart low-balls that by another two cents at $5.97. Big whoop.

Also, Target has been integrating more and more groceries such as produce and meats into their stores and making them more like supercenters. I only see another problem growing at this point, it's not just Walmart.

B35 you call me a liar! I always bring facts to the board and you taking your hatred of Wal Mart to problems that thousands of NYC and other inner city residents have in being stuck with a few mom & pop stores that are overpriced. Yes, There are also many 'mom and pop' stores that also offer affordable prices.

Yup. I'm calling you a liar.... would you like me to use another word for liar, perhaps?

This isn't about the rest of the posts you make on the board....

...and lemme make this crystal, to diffuse any confusion...

I don't see inner city residents stuck where they are; suffering, going broke, etc etc... b/c of w/e mom & pop stores that are overpriced in a certain community... I'm sorry... Nobody's going broke b/c they're paying $5 for a gallon milk... Nobody's going broke b/c they're paying $8 for underwear in those stores... haha....

Again, here we go w/ this mindset that "the only mom & pop store in a neighborhood - is an overpriced one".... and I see that as nothing more than BS..... and that last sentence there, I don't see as a genuine statement coming out of you - given your stance on the matter.

Not just in Coney Island but even when I lived with a roommate 6 years ago in Bushwick. The nearby small supermarkets like Associated was price inflated.

*insert random facepalm image here*

Associated isn't a mom & pop store, dude...

That is the crux of your rebuttal to me, isn't it...

Unless you're seriously confusing (or putting in the same category) mom & pop stores, with supermarkets...

You B35 are on the NYC Democrtaic Party payroll on something in your hatred of Wal-Mart?:tdown:

Even I said Wal-Mart should open in NYC, I mainly shop there for stuff like Toilet Paper and other bulk stuff maybe every month or two.

Again B35 if you don't like Wal Mart, I never said for you to shop there.

When I do grocery shopping I usually shop at a Shop Rite, Stop and Shop or Price Chopper that are within a 15-minute drive of my house.

"I never said for you to shop there." "I never said for you to shop there."

That's like the 3rd or 4th time you said something similar to that nonsense...

Get off that "I have to be for some'n, in order to have an opinion on it" tip....

The whole point I been making is that NYC residents living in lower income areas that don't have as many services such as banks or larger supermarkets should have even more access to the box stores and not to drive or take a bus 30 minutes or more for reasonable prices. This is what America is all about.

Just my takes.

Yeah, but here's what you're missing...

Banks & supermarkets are (far more) necessities in any community; well, if the purpose is to keep people in that community, regardless of their income levels/"class".... Whereas, a wal-mart isn't...

As someone said in this thread already, If there was any great need for the establishment, it would have BEEN here already... especially in a city w/ over 9 million freakin people in it....

and lol @ that last bit...

What, is what America's all about... Wal-mart?

The poster mother, father, AND child of immoral business practices in society...

hock & spit....

In a FREE MARKET ECONOMY people have a right to shop where they want to, as long as it's not an illicit business like prostitution. I personally believe that the Valley Stream Walmart is dingy and the lines are too long. However, I'm not going to tell somone else that they are forbidden from shopping there because I dislike it. Charles Barron is an attention whore who likes to see his name in the news. He's complaining about Walmart because he has a pathological tendency to complain.

That would be an element of the free market economy, yes.

And interestingly, an element of our Bill of Rights is the right of free speech. You know what that means? Charles Barron is allowed to say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants. You can call him names, but he, like the majority of us, is simply expressing his distaste for Walmart. Nobody has been told they aren't allowed to shop at the conglomerate, rather, you are witnessing a major pushback against a deeply flawed organization. That's one of the ways our free market economy works, as you mentioned, that the people decide where to shop / support and where not to.

exactly...

This guy brings up the concept of a free market economy, while ignoring concept of free speech....

The Hell with Charles Barron.... Who says you have to heed his thoughts? Who says his declarations are gold? I mean, this is how you're coming across, FG... this dependent mentality you exude, like you need someone else's words to exemplify your own (negative/positive) feelings about something... I don't know man....

Even though my opinion about walmart is on a similar wavelength as his, I don't need to FORM my own opinions around his..... Is this really about HIM anyway?

That would be an element of the free market economy, yes.

And interestingly, an element of our Bill of Rights is the right of free speech. You know what that means? Charles Barron is allowed to say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants. You can call him names, but he, like the majority of us, is simply expressing his distaste for Walmart. Nobody has been told they aren't allowed to shop at the conglomerate, rather, you are witnessing a major pushback against a deeply flawed organization. That's one of the ways our free market economy works, as you mentioned, that the people decide where to shop / support and where not to.

Excellent post.

Also some here not to confuse a "free market economy" (the most overused, misused, and bastardized term in American history...even more so than "rights") with economic anarchy.

American government has a responsibility to protect American interests against foreign threats, including outsourcing of American jobs.

The American people have the right to choose what they want or don't want in their neighborhoods. They have the right to say whatever they want to argue their points, whether you want to hear what they have to say or not.

More people don't want a Walmart because it kills competition. Walmart ENDS choice by ending small businesses and FORCING people to shop at Walmart by making it the only game in town. And the American people are saying they don't want that. Which last time I checked they're allowed to do since we still have free speech.

Not true. Where does it say all Americans were born with the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and affordable groceries within a 15 minute commute?

Walmart does not solve those problems. It makes them worse by limiting the options and closing what choice American consumers do have. Walmart monopolizes neighborhoods, and sends much of that money overseas because nothing they make is American. They also pay the residents of said neighborhood little to work there, and cost American jobs. They cost competition. They harm small businesses. But, wonderful corporation that Walmart is, it headquarters in Delaware and has numerous related party transactions with itself to pay the smallest amount of taxes possible, to pay the taxpayers back for allowing them into their neighborhoods to kill their freedom of choice in shopping.

Also, Walmart is not really primarily a grocery store, so to fixate on overpriced groceries from bodega's and koreans as a reason to bring in all of their greed and corruption is short sighted to say the least.

You know what? You're right. Walmart is bad for America. You know what else is bad? Fast food. I heard that 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. That can lead to heart disease and diabetes. With that in mind, let's close every McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, White Castle, KFC, Popeyes, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. After all, the American government has a responsibility to protect American interests.

You know what? You're right. Walmart is bad for America. You know what else is bad? Fast food. I heard that 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. That can lead to heart disease and diabetes. With that in mind, let's close every McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, White Castle, KFC, Popeyes, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. After all, the American government has a responsibility to protect American interests.

False. The American people have a right to be overweight if they want (They also have a right to pay more for health insurance but that's another story). Lots of people eat at those places and are not obese, myself being one of them. Plus people WANT fast food in their neighborhoods.

McDonald's is not bad for America. They use products made by and large in this country (well...except for their toys)

Walmart, low wages, and outsourcing of jobs, however, ARE bad for the American economy. So when you add that to the fact that Americans DON'T WANT a Walmart in their backyard, then there should not be one.

You are making a classic straw man argument because I am talking about apples (Walmart and outsourcing), and you are talking about tickle me elmos (fast food and fat blobs who can't say no to supersizing), but you think that by talking about tickle me elmos in a similar way to how I talk about apples, that you can draw a parallel between apples and tickle me elmos...which you can't

I place an order through Walmart.com, and things get shipped to me for 99 cents (sometimes even less and sometimes a bit more). How they make these costs so ridiculously low, I'll never know, but I don't even buy most of my things at the physical store.

Archived