Wal-Mart Tries Again for New York City Store

NX Express

I place an order through Walmart.com, and things get shipped to me for 99 cents (sometimes even less and sometimes a bit more). How they make these costs so ridiculously low, I'll never know, but I don't even buy most of my things at the physical store.

Slave labor and the backs of murdered children overseas...all at the expense of American jobs. It's science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dTvSa1rCOY

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know what? You're right. Walmart is bad for America. You know what else is bad? Fast food. I heard that 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. That can lead to heart disease and diabetes. With that in mind, let's close every McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, White Castle, KFC, Popeyes, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. After all, the American government has a responsibility to protect American interests.

Damn, a Red herring INSIDE a straw man argument; A straw herring....

that's when you know you lost a debate...

Fast food has f**k all to do with walmart.

The point of not allowing any of these big department center stores to expand within the city is purely out of economical reasons (They're REALLY, REALLY shady) Heh, let me tell you guys about how at Walmart they'll force you to become an assistant manager with a fixed salary once you hit a certain pay rate because they don't want to pay you any higher. Then you'll probably be stuck there because you'll have no shot at becoming shift/store manager, just a lowly assistant manager who watches either first/second or third shift being yelled at because the backroom is a mess (and getting bitched at by the backroom team when we bring back an overstock pallet) or there are too many outs due to "low associate productivity" (when it's really poor order management) and then getting coached for no apparent reason, where they practically make you beg for your measly $8.70/$9.70 an hour job and threatening you about how for every associate they fire, two more will take their place. I've seen and heard it all from my co-workers during our breaks in the store. It's legalized slavery.

Our other problem is Target is branching out, come on, we have TWO stores now within the general area, one along the Q20/76 on 20th Av in College Point and another one at Skyview Center on College Point Boulevard and Roosevelt.

Oh! And let me tell you about the folks in Flushing coming down my block (and Roosevelt) with their red Christmas themed Target bags in their little wire carts and whatnot, sometimes huge bags, both hands full! It's already happening. The Koreans out here are smart for running these fish markets and grocery stores, because that's how they keep the money flowing amongst themselves in the community (and further expanding). They're pretty hard to compete with unless you get your produce and harvested goods fresher and better than the rivals.

You know what? You're right. Walmart is bad for America. You know what else is bad? Fast food. I heard that 60% of Americans are overweight or obese. That can lead to heart disease and diabetes. With that in mind, let's close every McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, White Castle, KFC, Popeyes, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. After all, the American government has a responsibility to protect American interests.

No offense but........... WTF does this have to do with fast food?!!! Wal-mart doesn't sell fast food. Can foods, snacks sure but this doesn't fit for Walmart in the competition. Most of the chance Wal-Mart takes competition away from is department stores like it did with Circit City perhaps. I know around at Green Acres the Wal-Mart there takes competition away (See above for example). Whenever it was bulit took customers away because compared to their sales on their items people can buy more & spend less. Same thing woth Target customers.

When school comes around everyone goes crazy 4 Wal-Mart cuz they break down the expenses. As much as I hate to say it & plus the fact I definitety not a big fan) compared other stores I shop to) Wal-Mart has a good strategy therefore making it less complicated & more realible to shoppers across the city.

Or Crown Fried Chicken. I could go on, but there is a very short list of names for ghetto chicken joints.

I notice that in my neighborhood we have two Subways within walking distance from each other, which would be considered a bit healthier than say a KFC... Seems like the KFCs and those places are usually in the more urban areas and I think it's clear why. There is a correlation between eating habits and income. Usually those who earn more eat healthier and vice versa.

I notice that in my neighborhood we have two Subways within walking distance from each other, which would be considered a bit healthier than say a KFC... Seems like the KFCs and those places are usually in the more urban areas and I think it's clear why. There is a correlation between eating habits and income. Usually those who earn more eat healthier and vice versa.

Ok... that was exactly my point. Drive through PBBN and all you see are these ghetto fast food joints.

No offense but........... WTF does this have to do with fast food?!!! Wal-mart doesn't sell fast food. Can foods, snacks sure but this doesn't fit for Walmart in the competition. Most of the chance Wal-Mart takes competition away from is department stores like it did with Circit City perhaps. I know around at Green Acres the Wal-Mart there takes competition away (See above for example). Whenever it was bulit took customers away because compared to their sales on their items people can buy more & spend less. Same thing woth Target customers.

When school comes around everyone goes crazy 4 Wal-Mart cuz they break down the expenses. As much as I hate to say it & plus the fact I definitety not a big fan) compared other stores I shop to) Wal-Mart has a good strategy therefore making it less complicated & more realible to shoppers across the city.

I was trying to show how government interference is unjust.

That's a big stretch of an argument in the first place, but the point is, this pushback IS NOT government interference. The public are allowed to express their opinions, and there are members of the government who represent them, and as a result should carry the same opinions. That's how our government is set up.

Where do you see the government not allowing Walmart? No, this is the pure opinion of the public.

To add to that: the public hasn't called for the elimination of McDonald's.

Archived