The New Fulton Transit Center Is Scheduled To Open In 2014; Will Feature Spiral Stairs

EE Broadway Local

Plaza Construction has been named general contractor in a joint venture with Schiavone Construction for the construction of the Fulton Street Transit Center today (Tuesday December 14, 2010).

The Fulton Street Transit Center is a 180,000 square foot complex that will cost $176 million dollars, modernize a busy Lower Manhattan subway complex and is scheduled to open in 2014.

Highlights:

• The Oculus. The Oculus is an oval-shaped, glass and steel ceiling which will allow sunlight to penetrate down into the Transit Center. Resembling stained glass windows in a cathedral, the oculus will be the focal point of the space, and is striking in its' beauty and detail.

• The Transit Center building will feature glass storefronts and granite flooring. Decoration will include reflective artwork panels.

• Spiral stairs, escalators, and elevators will shuttle riders between the (A)(C) and (4)(5), and connects to the (J)/(Z) and (2)(3) trains.

Story from New York Real Estate Journal: http://www.nyrej.com/44468

But we're talking millions of people going through there... do you think they'll be able to take that beating?

With the MTA crying broke so often these days, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a bunch of contractors for the MTA at the Home Depot or something like that.

Actually that would waste more money, if they bought from home depot. Its cheaper to buy direct from wholesale and bulk also.

And I might add that this is an article about Plaza Construction receiving this contract, not about Fulton St Transit Center.

Actually, he whole project is a waste of money. Everything had worked fine for how many years before this?

I believe that some of the money came from the Lower Manhattan Development fund. Sure, everything worked fine, but it was confusing as hell to transfer between trains

Guest lance25
Actually, he whole project is a waste of money. Everything had worked fine for how many years before this?

In my opinion, the project is necessary, not only because it's a major transfer hub, but because one shouldn't have to walk up and down several flights of stairs to get from one platform to the next.

I believe that some of the money came from the Lower Manhattan Development fund. Sure, everything worked fine, but it was confusing as hell to transfer between trains

Thing is though, you didn't have that many people transferring from one train to another who didn't do it every day. Many of the people do it everyday so they know what there doing, unlike tourists or people just riding around for fun.

Thing is though, you didn't have that many people transferring from one train to another who didn't do it every day. Many of the people do it everyday so they know what there doing, unlike tourists or people just riding around for fun.

Woah, I gotta disagree with you there. Of the stations in NYC, the Fulton street complex is one of the worst when it comes to circulation. Even though many people would know their way, all the ramps and stairs make it cumbersome and inefficient. The worst place was at the bottom of the (4) and (5) ramp, where there would be a big confusion of people crossing paths. To me that's the bigest benefit of the new complex: a straight, level mezzanine above the (A)(C) platform.

Lower manhattan is a vital CBD and bway-Nassau/Fulton is a vital station in that location. Granted, the new complex has some "unnecessaries" in it, but the improvement itself is needed.

Isn't the new transit center going to provide much greater handicap accessibility?

Isn't the new transit center going to provide much greater handicap accessibility?

Yes, but I have never been in support of re building stations to make them accessible. I can understand doing it if it's an easy installation, but I don't like the idea of rebuilding a station so wheelchair bound customers can ride the train. I personally feel that in certain situations, wheelchair bound riders can create a dangerous situation for example if a train needs to be evacuated in a tunnel due too a fire.

Yes, but I have never been in support of re building stations to make them accessible. I can understand doing it if it's an easy installation, but I don't like the idea of rebuilding a station so wheelchair bound customers can ride the train. I personally feel that in certain situations, wheelchair bound riders can create a dangerous situation for example if a train needs to be evacuated in a tunnel due too a fire.

Great points. I couldn't help but notice when I transferred from the F to the R at Jay St.-Metrotech the other day how narrow the BMT platform is. Were I in a wheelchair, that is not a platform I would be thrilled to navigate.

One of the best improvement of the Fulton St. Transit Center might simply be the renaming of the AC portion from Broadway-nassau to Fulton St. I know this difference in name has been a source of confusion for people in the past.

Handicapped people have to go places too. Very few of the subway stations are actually wheelchair accessible as you will see in the link below... I think it's great that Disability advocates are suing the MTA too because the system is supposed to be for everyone, so whether they like it or not, they will be forced one way or another to rehab stations and make sure that they are indeed wheelchair accessible.

http://thebrooklynink.com/2010/11/10/18844-disabled-throughout-brooklyn-take-action-against-mta-cuts/

Handicapped people have to go places too.

That's what Access-a-Ride, buses and cabs are for. Now what about stations where it is not possible to refit then for the disabled, are they going to sue the MTA over that too? Just because something can be done, does not mean that it should be done and sometimes it's just not worth the cost.

That's what Access-a-Ride, buses and cabs are for. Now what about stations where it is not possible to refit then for the disabled, are they going to sue the MTA over that too? Just because something can be done, does not mean that it should be done and sometimes it's just not worth the cost.

I am not disabled, but disabled people need transportation just like non handicapped people do. The MTA has cut Access-a-Ride considerably. Instead of them wasting money on fancy mosaics they can put that money to good use and make more stations wheelchair friendly.

And what about pregnant women with strollers or people with large packages that need elevators and such? It's 2010 and the MTA is running a system that is stuck in the 1990s at best...

I am not disabled, but disabled people need transportation just like non handicapped people do. The MTA has cut Access-a-Ride considerably. Instead of them wasting money on fancy mosaics they can put that money to good use and make more stations wheelchair friendly.

And what about pregnant women with strollers or people with large packages that need elevators and such? It's 2010 and the MTA is running a system that is stuck in the 1990s at best...

Mkay. You pay for it.

It's not fair for the MTA to spend billions to help a very very very small minority of people.

Mkay. You pay for it.

It's not fair for the MTA to spend billions to help a very very very small minority of people.

If they don't build them then the groups representing disabled people will continue to file lawsuits. It's not even about trying to help this "small minority" of people as you put it (which I beg to differ on) out of pity or anything. It's a legal matter, which they would win in court. You have what's supposed to be a system for the "public", yet it's not accessible for certain segments of the public. That in and of itself is a problem and that's exactly what they'd argue in court.

Here is a link to back what I am saying, so you see either way the MTA will have a problem.

http://bayridgejournal.blogspot.com/2010/08/disabled-riders-sue-mta.html

If they don't build them then the groups representing disabled people will continue to file lawsuits. It's not even about trying to help this "small minority" of people out of pity or anything. It's a legal matter, which they would win in court. You have what's supposed to be a system for the "public", yet it's not accessible for certain segments of the public. That in and of itself is a problem.

Not every station can be made accessible, and it's not like there being forced to take the subway. There are other options and they should be used before forcing millions of dollars in renovations.

In my opinion, the project is necessary, not only because it's a major transfer hub, but because one shouldn't have to walk up and down several flights of stairs to get from one platform to the next.

you do not need to tear down a bunch of buildings to do this.

S/F,

CEYA!

Glass storefronts? Granite floors? Could've used a regualr drywall storefront and regular tile floors and saved some money right there

most replacement tiles cost over $50 per.

they crack after awhile and slippery when wet.

S/F,

CEYA!

Wait until it be you, you would not want to say that.

S/F,

CEYA!

Archived