The New Fulton Transit Center Is Scheduled To Open In 2014; Will Feature Spiral Stairs

EE Broadway Local

Are you really equating what I am saying to racism? If you are, you are out of your mind. Let me explain this for the last time since you really have a hard time understanding what I am saying and you adding your own interpretation to what I am saying that, again has NO hidden meaning or message. Disabled people, specifically those in wheel chairs or those who have other difficulties moving around are free to use the subway, but they and those who are advocates for them must keep in mind that, not all station are accessible and some of them will never be (look at the local stations being rebuilt on the Brighton line) accessible because of the way they are built. Also, in the event of an emergency it will take longer for them to be evacuated from a train or even a station. If they do choose to ride the subway, they may still not get to there destination because elevators and handicapped accessible gates maybe out of service. I hope this is clear for you, if not then you need some help.

They're at risk regardless to what form of transportation they use, be it the bus, Access-A-Ride, etc. so that argument really doesn't fly with me. Years ago, the buses weren't accessible for them either because many of the wheelchair lifts were broken and people complained that Oh, they shouldn't ride the bus because it takes too long, etc. etc. and today with some changes, boarding buses for disabled people on buses is much quicker and reliable.

The point is that with changes to the system, the subway could be made more accessible and in some cases it doesn't require massive overhauls of the stations.

As far as the Brighton Line goes, I grew up in Sheepshead Bay, so I've very familiar with the line. If you notice that with several of the stations final being rehabed in Brooklyn, that line may finally be worth riding for wheelchair folks. That is the way we need to be going, especially as the population grows and people live through various disabilities, etc.

You are taking a great leap from what has been said to how you are interpreting it. Since people with physical disabilities are at greater risk in the subway (evacuating in the tunnel during an emergency, navigating gaps, etc...), trying to prompt them to use the subway might not be the best option. In no way is that like segregation that existed in the mid 20th century.

Whether he realizes it or not, he is indirectly saying that disabled people shouldn't be riding the subway. I understand his reasoning for it, but listen, whatever mode of transportation they use would be "risky" for them and those around them.

I used the example in my previous statement not because he's racist, but just to show how wrong his comment is because his statement is a form of segregation. You may not see that way, but that's what it is and it doesn't just apply in terms of the color of someone's skin. Perhaps it doesn't seem so bad because we're talking about disabled people, but if you think about it, it's not too far fetched.

They're at risk regardless to what form of transportation they use...

They put others at risk by slowing the evacuation of everyone down. Besides in all my years in NYC, I can't even remember a single time where I saw a legitimate wheelchair bound person in the subway. Only once or twice on the bus.

So now I'm a Nazi or something? Your reading too much into something that's no there.

Mike is just showing you an example of the sort of thinking that was out there towards disabled people back in the day and your comments about excluding disabled people from the subway were the types of things that people would have no problem with during that time period.

In spite of the strides that disabled people have made, there is still a stigma that they are somehow not equal to us non-disabled people and so when you make statements about them being too much of hazard to themselves and to those around them you should really think about what you are saying.

Disabled people are human beings, many of whom you wouldn't even know were disabled by just looking at them. I just think you need to re-think your selfish thought process.

Yes, but I have never been in support of re building stations to make them accessible. I can understand doing it if it's an easy installation, but I don't like the idea of rebuilding a station so wheelchair bound customers can ride the train. I personally feel that in certain situations, wheelchair bound riders can create a dangerous situation for example if a train needs to be evacuated in a tunnel due too a fire.

Forbid you ever get stuck in a wheelchair with that attitude.

- A

IIRC if the (MTA) takes federal money to buy subway, bus, or railcars or uses those dollars for capital improvements they are subject to federal law. The ADA act is federal law. If there is no reasonable attempt to accomodate the disabled ridership the (MTA) would be in violation of that part of the law and COULD suffer drastic penalties if the disabled and federal courts were to crack the whip under a class action lawsuit. I can see a jury trial where the point is made that the disabled are taxpayers and are being denied the rights of others by being excluded from something, transit, that they are paying for just like everyone else. As far as evacuations go, I think the wheelchair-bound realize the perils they face but let's not overlook the fact that besides being taxpayers they are also human beings. I've evacuated a wheelchair-bound passenger during the last blackout from 2 flights underground. He was the last to leave the train and station and he thanked me for it. He also said " thank God it wasn't a fire". That showed me that he understood the consequences for both of us if it was.

With the MTA crying broke so often these days, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a bunch of contractors for the MTA at the Home Depot or something like that.

This is what I have a hard time understanding. Isnt this company broke? How can they afford this? I understand that it might be a beautiful building but do we really really need it and can afford it? To make it more interesting Fulton Street station platforms were rebuilt specially on the 4 & 5 trains. That means they have to spend more money on rebuilding the sections that they blocked off.

Guest lance25

As stated previously, the funds for Fulton Street are coming from the federal government. Also, only the operational budget (the one that ensures the system runs on a day-to-day basis) is in the crapper. The capital budget (which allows for bus/train purchases, construction projects, etc.) is fine - and no, they cannot transfer funds.

It should also be noted that buses and Access-a-ride exist as a (relatively) safe way to bring wheelchair customers to their destinations. Access-a-ride costs the base-fare for those of you are are unfamiliar. Disabled (beyond just wheelchair-bound) are also entitled to a reduced fare Metrocard. A lot is done by the MTA to accommodate the handicapped where possible. It's hardly segregation what IND is saying, he's pointing out the realities which many of you are afraid to acknowledge.

It should also be noted that buses and Access-a-ride exist as a (relatively) safe way to bring wheelchair customers to their destinations. Access-a-ride costs the base-fare for those of you are are unfamiliar. Disabled (beyond just wheelchair-bound) are also entitled to a reduced fare Metrocard. A lot is done by the MTA to accommodate the handicapped where possible. It's hardly segregation what IND is saying, he's pointing out the realities which many of you are afraid to acknowledge.

That if these people have their Access-A-Ride eliminated and don't have other alternatives aside from the subway then there is the problem... :P

That if these people have their Access-A-Ride eliminated and don't have other alternatives aside from the subway then there is the problem... :P

But has Access-a-Ride been eliminated, or their other options like city buses, cab, or ambulates?

But has Access-a-Ride been eliminated, or their other options like city buses, cab, or ambulates?

If they had those other options do you think they'd want to be bothered with the subway??

That's why I said you should re-think what you're saying because you're forgetting that many bus lines were either partially or completely eliminated, as well as Access-A-Ride for many disabled people, so their only option may be the subway.

If they had those other options do you think they'd want to be bothered with the subway??

That's why I said you should re-think what you're saying because you're forgetting that many bus lines were either partially or completely eliminated, as well as Access-A-Ride for many disabled people, so their only option may be the subway.

I don't need to rethink anything because there are still other options out there. You should rethink you giving your $0.02 into every thread just because you think you know best.

As stated previously, the funds for Fulton Street are coming from the federal government. Also, only the operational budget (the one that ensures the system runs on a day-to-day basis) is in the crapper. The capital budget (which allows for bus/train purchases, construction projects, etc.) is fine - and no, they cannot transfer funds.

Sadly I did not see the statement that you mentioned before. Though Thank you for your kind words. I was not aware how these trains were being paid for. Or how does there budget work.

Access-a-ride was poorly runned, never on time, and most of the time carried 1 person. A car service would've been cheaper than a van/bus.

It probably would've been cheaper to get the TLC to pick up people and have the TLC send the MTA the bill.

Mkay. You pay for it.

It's not fair for the MTA to spend billions to help a very very very small minority of people.

Agreed! [Again in a different post I stated I am in favor of elevators at major hubs/transfer points, but at some point you have to realize not every station can be accomodating to the wheelchaired bound riders. Elevators breaks down and are expensive to build, including where to build them if there's no space for them. And for all this what 1 person out of every 1000 people? I think for such services a person should be expected to pay a little more for it.

Like if a person needs to use an elevator they must swipe their card to pay for it.]

As for the spiral stairs? Accident/Lawsuit waiting to happen. One person trips = domino effect. Bad idea. Better to stick with regular stairs.

As for the spiral stairs? Accident/Lawsuit waiting to happen. One person trips = domino effect. Bad idea. Better to stick with regular stairs.

Maybe they're afraid of a lawsuit for not including enough "artistic element" in the design required by Federal mandate. At least, that's how it's usually been explained to me when I've questioned other stupid designs like the bus shelters where snow accumulation needs to be swept off before it slides off and hits an unsuspecting pedestrian. :tdown:

Hem, if it's more of the 'artsy fartsy' stuff, someone should be fired over it. Safety should come first over astetics.

Tell that to who ever rehabbed 34th and 6th. That ramp in the middle of the station is worse then a slip'n slide when it gets wet. The nice looking tiles have no traction what so ever, there they used them because they look good.

Archived