Epic Proposal

GreeneggsnPelham

Hello All,

As some of you might know, I am currently trying to put together an entire list of all the station chaining for the NYC Subway System. You might remember a similar query in the forums about a year ago--this yielded an impressive list of the entire IND system, but the original 1932 layout, with a few post-war extensions thrown in (Archer Av, Chrystie St & 63 St). I have asked around and no similar lists exist for BMT or IRT.

I have looked at every single picture (no lie) on nycsubway.org and have perused various subway sites and Google Earth to put together a rudimentary list. I even enlisted the help of the developers over at BVE and have played all of their NYCTA routes.

I would like help in verifying the information I have and make the list complete. I will publish it on nycsubway.org when it's completed and I will give credit to anyone else who helps.

Pretty much it entails railfanning various points in the system and fact-checking. Thankfully, the IND is completed (except for the Mott Av station and Beach 116 St). Rather than have one person do it, I'd like to enlist people in different boroughs to help the project come to completion.

I have my rudimentary list available in an Excel file. Those who are interested, please post responses here and I will give you the list. Please tell what area you're in and what you'd be willing to railfan/verify so that there are no repeats.

Thank you again for your consideration, and I consider it an honor to give something of this magnitude back to the railfan community!

I'd also like to thank various anonymous motormen who have given me insight on this project as well. :tup::tup:

To clear things up,

For anyone who is potentially interested in helping with the project it's simple: to go out along the lines listed below and collect chaining information from the signal plates at the ends of the station platforms. This is so that I can put together an accurate list for all the stations in the system, for all of the NYCTF and railfan community. It's not asking for every single signal plate along a given line. Just the ones at either end of a station platform. For local/express stations, take the signal plates from the local platforms only.

So here are the lines that need their station chaining numbers verified:

A Division:

(1) Entire line Melvin

(2) 241 St-E 180 St- IRT Bronx Express

(3) 148 St-96 St, and from Franklin Av to New Lots

(4) Woodlawn-138 St, and Bklyn Br-Boro Hall Melvin

(5) Dyre line, White Plains Rd (180 St-149 St) IRT Bronx Express

(6) Westchester Sq to 3rd Av-138 St IRT Bronx Express

(7) Entire line. Including the signal plates leading to tailtracks at TSQ.

B Division:

(N)(Q)- Ditmars Blvd-Canal Lower Level

(N)- Entire Sea Beach line to CI

(;)(Q)- Brighton line from Prospect Park to CI

(R)- Upper Level Canal St-36 St via Tunnel

(F)- Church Av to CI

(L)- Entire line

(D)- Entire West End line to CI

(J)(Z)- Crescent St to Jamaica Center

Thanks again!

If you need the Excel list, please PM IRT Bronx Express with your e-mail address. But first, post here saying what line you'll verify.

-A :cool:

All IND lines are accounted for/verified already, except for the following stations:

Broad Channel (S)

Beach 116 St (S)

Far Rockaway/Mott Av (A)

If you'd like to verify the Fulton St (A)(C) while doing this run, that's fine.

So here are the lines that need verifying:

A Division:

(1) Entire line

(2) 241 St-E 180 St- IRT Bronx Express

(3) 148 St-96 St, and from Franklin Av to New Lots

(4) Woodlawn-138 St, and Bklyn Br-Boro Hall Melvin

(5) Dyre line, White Plains Rd (180 St-149 St) IRT Bronx Express

(6) Westchester Sq to 3rd Av-138 St IRT Bronx Express

(7) Entire line. Including the signal plates leading to tailtracks at TSQ.

B Division:

(N)(Q)- Ditmars Blvd-Canal Lower Level

(N)- Entire Sea Beach line to CI

(:P(Q)- Brighton line from Prospect Park to CI Melvin

(R)- Upper Level Canal St-36 St via Tunnel

(F)- Church Av to CI

(L)- Entire line

(D)- Entire West End line to CI Melvin

(J)(Z)- Crescent St to Jamaica Center

Thanks again!

If you need the Excel list, please PM IRT Bronx Express with your e-mail address. But first, post here saying what line you'll verify.

I could do the (1) and (4), but the (:P&(D) is a little far from me, 20+ miles.

Too vague.

Not sure what you're asking people exactly to help do for your proposal....

Could you be more specific as to what it is you need, from a potential assister?

thanks....

Sorry for the vagueness. I'm putting together an accurate list of all the station chaining numbers for the entire system. I have a list made from various scribbles and Google Earth, and I'd like the BMT & IRT divisions verified (for example, if Brairwood-Van Wyck was on the list, it'd be like: "start 1651, end 1657).

All of the IND chaining numbers are all completed. I am hoping to recruit several railfans to go to different lines and get the chaining numbers for the list (on the signal plates at the ends of platforms).

My list is in Microsoft Excel format, and if you'd like the list, PM IRT Bronx Express and he'll give it to you.

Hope this clears things up. If not, send me a PM.

Archived