Two years after exam 8094

Xentor

Well I hate to do this but I'm going to bump my original post onto a new thread to see if I'm able to get some responses. I think a good thorough harmless scolding will put this issue to the back of my mind and to rest. I'd like to stop wondering about it with your help.

"I would have sworn to papa Jesus that I had scored a perfect 100% when I left the testing center back in 08 on the O/C exam. I instead scored a cursed 96% and I'm way down to the 1700's on the O/C conductor list. I think that most if not all the people that scored alot lower KNOW that they dont have a chance at this especially under the current circumstances of the MTA and ultimately the entire country. However, there are people like myself that want to believe were still in the mix and that luck is on our side, at least judging by past O/C and T/O examinations.

I think this subject alone has come close to dominating this entire forum for the past 18 months. So, what is the approximate likelihood that the open competitive exams will reach a list number in the 2500's?? I know it is impossible to foretell this, but I'm sure that someone with enough information can at least make an educated guess that at least half the people can agree with. I think if someone can make a proper educated guess, explain why and possibly even make it a sticky, then we'll all leave you alone and stop hammering the subject. I really hope to hear from just about anybody, especially posters like Alex L and a few other employees who seem to be more in the loop."

I am aware what the last exam numbers were. What im worried about is wether or not this current exam can reach comparable numbers on the list. With the country still in crisis, with all the politics, service cuts and budget issues I personally doubt it. However other people with better information than I have might think otherwise and Id'e like to know what they think with all due respect. Its a prediction I guess. And primo you can hold off on your robotic answers to everything.

I am aware what the last exam numbers were. What im worried about is wether or not this current exam can reach comparable numbers on the list. With the country still in crisis, with all the politics, service cuts and budget issues I personally doubt it. However other people with better information than I have might think otherwise and Id'e like to know what they think with all due respect. Its a prediction I guess. And primo you can hold off on your robotic answers to everything.

No one knows that and no one has better information. Hiring plans take shape about 1 year in advance, if that, and they are subject to change. Schoolcar classes are not planned until very close to when they begin. Still, they can be cancelled or postponed without notice. How many end up getting called has to do with the rate of hiring as well as how long the list is active, and no one knows exactly how long the list will be active.

I know people don't like hearing this but there IS no answer. It's like asking who is going to win next year's World Series now. Just gotta wait and see...

• 3 weeks later...

let me give a little assistance if i can. i scored 97 on the o/c c/r test with a list number of 694. so here was my time line. 1 year after the test i get the score and list number. forgot about it then get called 3 years later. so with a list number in the 1700's you are looking at a 5-7 year wait. if they even hire that many. my advice keep taking test.

let me give a little assistance if i can. i scored 97 on the o/c c/r test with a list number of 694. so here was my time line. 1 year after the test i get the score and list number. forgot about it then get called 3 years later. so with a list number in the 1700's you are looking at a 5-7 year wait. if they even hire that many. my advice keep taking test.

That might be true, but the longer that goes by, the fewer people on the eligible list will take the job. Many people will have taken other jobs, moved without updating their address, and I am sure many will be found not to be qualified for whatever reason (criminal background, no HS diploma, etc.). Just look at other civil service tests. At the NYPD, only 10% of those who pass the written exam ever become cops. At Sanitation, that number is about 35%. I have no clue what it is at the MTA, but 50% would not surprise me.

That might be true, but the longer that goes by, the fewer people on the eligible list will take the job. Many people will have taken other jobs, moved without updating their address, and I am sure many will be found not to be qualified for whatever reason (criminal background, no HS diploma, etc.). Just look at other civil service tests. At the NYPD, only 10% of those who pass the written exam ever become cops. At Sanitation, that number is about 35%. I have no clue what it is at the MTA, but 50% would not surprise me.

That sounds just about right to me. You know what is crazy? DSNY has hired 300 and the last list number reached is just 647.5.:cry:

Usually for a class of 100, they go through 300-400 list numbers. My theory is the ones with lower list numbers are more serious and most aren't going to pass it up. I have been told that the list moves faster as they go through higher numbers.

Well Donald that looks to be the case for B/O lately in which they are about to exhaust the list likely for some or all those reasons you outline. Those people have a much tougher time on the job and much tougher entrance requisites. I can also see people getting fired/suspended at a much higher rate due to their much tougher getting-used-to curve. I assume they also leave the job on their own on at a much higher rate than Conductor, due to stress. Unless that mass exodus of retirees starts to happen soon enough I suspect guys like me wont get in at all this time around. I'm sure it has it's caveats like just about anything in life but all in all Conductor is an easy post on it's worst day. From my point of view, you HAVE GOT to be a insanely massive textbook dunce by design to manage to get yourself fired from this job. So this isn't one of those positions in which there is constant hiring left and right due to abrupt vacancies. If all goes as planned you're siting there making announcements all day and operating slide doors (even that seems quite the task for some conductors at times), if it doesn't go as planned you are required to not be deaf and blind at the same time. I can manage this proudly and magnificently, that's why I want in lol.

Currently, they are hiring C/R's from the O/C list. Next they will get to yours (the O/C) list. To the contrary, even with the economy, MTA is still hiring T/O's and C/R's. They tried to do without, but they have to many places C/R's are needed, and not enough people doing OT to cover jobs. C/R's do construction flagging, platform duties, mail collection, dedicated announcements, and revenue services (train duties). Now as for an estimate of time, no one knows, not even TA. There are many who should have been retired, and have expenses that they need to keep working. Some just are there cause they have nothing to go home to, but 4 walls. Some can retire, but have expenses so they have to stay. The stock crash, with the economic downturn, destroyed alot of 401K and 457 accounts of those who were going to retire also.......

I think I remember something hearing about some drunk or high conductor screwing something up a few years back, dont remember lol. DOB2RTO i take it you meant theres conductors being hired from promo and not from O/C, and thank you for you're info, it helps. Those pension plans being carved up like that surely does indeed explain at least one reason why there hasn't been as many retirees as predicted, that goes for all transits posts as a matter of fact.

These pension plans are shoved down people's throats like Justin Beiber. I wouldn't be surprised if over half of civil employees have one and they dont realize all they are doing is giving their money to the company's stock broker. To be honest no matter how you slice it, wherever you put your money here in the United States you're still just handing it over to a greedy stock broker. If I was saving a large part of my income for retirement I'd at least look into precious metals and even natural resources and offshore English or Swiss bank accounts and wait until WATER becomes a publicly traded assest, lol.

• 1 month later...
As of January they were up to 217. However, there is a March and April class for condcutors so the number is higher as of now.

That's not what it was as of January. Stop giving false and incorrect information. No one wants to nor cares to read what you have to say. Get the message already. Stop ruining every thread with your mindless whining drivel and made up information.

On January 6, 2011 you wrote the following. I guess you are the one giving out false information if this info is not correct.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26181

01-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Conductor list has been hired up to 217 on the promotional list

Train operator has been hired up to 106 on the promotional list.

As of today no classes have been planned after the January 24th class, but that is subject to change.

On January 6, 2011 you wrote the following. I guess you are the one giving out false information if this info is not correct.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26181

01-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Conductor list has been hired up to 217 on the promotional list

Train operator has been hired up to 106 on the promotional list.

As of today no classes have been planned after the January 24th class, but that is subject to change.

January 6th was 2 months ago genius. It's mainly because of you I am no longer giving updates. I bet many people here are hoping for a hiring freeze the moment they get the the number before your alleged list number.

How about this everyone? Just ignore any and all of this little child's comments and questions, and it will eventually go away back into its little hole in the ground and hopefully never come back out.

"January 6th was 3 months ago genius."

I guess you did not see the part where I wrote "As of January." Let's try it again, this time with bold.

"As of January they were up to 217. However, there is a March and April class for condcutors so the number is higher as of now."

Oh, and January 6th was 2 months ago, not 3. December 5th was 3 months ago.

Well, by asking, I got a quick memo from our..... I guess resident authority on subway matters here that promo C/R list is up to 240 which sucks. However, on the only slightly brighter side, the ball should begin rolling a bit faster within the next 3 months and I say hopefully for the rest of the year for that matter.

I cant wait to see the reaction of some of us O/C people once they begin calling from it. I'd love to see Transit call up at the very least 1500 people from O/C C/R, in that case we can have a nice blend of people that pretty much wouldn't be surprised to be called up because of their list number and people further down on the list who are gonna be like OMGOMGOMG and piss their pants.

I also hope that in their mega high moment of pure joy and all that is sweet, sky blue and sandy, that some people will either spontaneously combust or choke on their own tongue in happiness or possibly even become paralyzed with joy. That way the list can move alot faster and hopefully get to me so that I can make people look bad at the MTA by paying attention to detail and providing supreme customer service as if I instead took the exam way back when it was alot harder.

Everyone pretty much ignored what myself and others were saying back when there was still some hint of intelligent threads in the career forum which was to go on with your lives and when you get called, then take it if you still even want it. The whole career forum is just flames and the bombardment of "what number they up to..what number they up to..."

Then while standing in the puddles of foam on the line at HR to put in their paperwork, or better yet in school car, we'll see how these guys with all of their "knowledge" do when it comes to the real job. And based on what I'm reading here with the level of maturity and anti-social nature of some of these posters, the job is NO guarantee for anyone.

Seriously, you guys who spend every waking hour dreaming about it and bitching about it on here better get your shit together and fast. Nothing is guaranteed in life including your list number for this job, any other job, or even stuff like your pension, how do you know what's really going to happen in the future?? Maybe do something useful with your life like getting another job in the meantime or taking another exam for a different job in case you fu*k up this one?

Because if you keep putting all your eggs in this one basket and having this idealist view of the job, you're going to be disappointed big time when you get there and are unable to adjust to the fact that some things aren't as you expected. Some of you are going to be kicked out the door faster than you can say "stand clear!".

Everyone pretty much ignored what myself and others were saying back when there was still some hint of intelligent threads in the career forum which was to go on with your lives and when you get called, then take it if you still even want it. The whole career forum is just flames and the bombardment of "what number they up to..what number they up to..."

Then while standing in the puddles of foam on the line at HR to put in their paperwork, or better yet in school car, we'll see how these guys with all of their "knowledge" do when it comes to the real job. And based on what I'm reading here with the level of maturity and anti-social nature of some of these posters, the job is NO guarantee for anyone.

Seriously, you guys who spend every waking hour dreaming about it and bitching about it on here better get your shit together and fast. Nothing is guaranteed in life including your list number for this job, any other job, or even stuff like your pension, how do you know what's really going to happen in the future?? Maybe do something useful with your life like getting another job in the meantime or taking another exam for a different job in case you fu*k up this one?

Because if you keep putting all your eggs in this one basket and having this idealist view of the job, you're going to be disappointed big time when you get there and are unable to adjust to the fact that some things aren't as you expected. Some of you are going to be kicked out the door faster than you can say "stand clear!".

Dam! you're rough and rugged as hell. You do however strike various points firmly on the head and are indeed correct. In my case, I am already employed and quite frankly I'd miss my line of work a lot when and if transit comes calling but I'd certainly go. One thing you should take into consideration however, is that not everyone and certainly not all posts about transit and list numbers indicate the person is foaming at the mouth and is just about ready to eat you for the job or information. It is simply or at least half the time just mere participation in a discussion that can benefit them. i mean dude, this part of the forum is tentatively titled "Transit Career Discussions" not "transit Career ANNOUNCEMENTS". What would this part of the forum be like if everyone would just sit there and TROLL their asses off and not ask anything at all about the status of anything?? It would suck, it would be not needed, it'd be a waste of server bills, the website wouldn't be popular and guys like you whom already work for the TA wouldn't drop by with your worthless paraplegic two cents. I mean how do you get off telling people to "just forget about it and go on with their lives" How you get off saying that people spend "every waking hour trying to do what you do"?? You some sort of psychic that you know what people are up to? What are you even doing posting on this thread? Your advice is already in effect stop repeating yourself, or do you want everyone holding all their eggs in one basket to bash you over the head with it?? I mean what in the red bloody blazes is wrong with you? you think you're cool or something? because you are already within the system and could care less about the opinions and uncertainties and most of all the FUTURE of others? You think people ask questions because they don't have a job?? This web page is huge, go play some place else if you feel everyone should be useless, apathetic and inefficient and simply......forget about it. You rubbed me the wrong way and it was because you were wearing shit all over you. If you think the job wasn't as you expected, then you're stupid, give up your benefits and pay check, get off the tip and quit, you dam lousy poor excuse for a public servant.

Now thanks a lot for all that grandma-used-to-say type jazz and go to sleep, go to work and earn your pension benefits like everyone else who wants in is trying to do.

On another note, aaaww schucks i'se only kidding. Hell it's sunday nite and everyone's tired and there isn't anything cool on TV

Archived