Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

[float=left]post-241-133288582276_thumb.jpg[/float]Staten Island should get first crack at $3 billion in federal transportation funding that Mayor Bloomberg would like to see used to extend the No. 7 subway line to New Jersey, state Sen. Diane Savino said.

The money -- which New York officials want to get their hands on after Jersey rejected it for another project -- should be used for "long-ago promised" subway and rail links here, Ms. Savino said.

"If the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) wants to truly move people out of their cars and onto rail, extending a subway to the Island is the way to do it," said Ms. Savino (D-North Shore/Brooklyn). "The MTA should complete a 1912 plan that would have rail and freight access from the terminus of Victory Boulevard to Brooklyn, along 67th Street, and then utilize the R train route along Fourth Avenue. The projected cost of the plan is $3 billion, the same as the extension of the 7 line under the Hudson River."

Read more: http://www.silive.co...way_rail_l.html

post-241-133288582276_thumb.jpg

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but there is a problem. There are no NYC Subway services that could immediately be extended to Staten Island right now. The only line would be the (G). The (G) is the most possible line to reach Staten Island because it is utilizes the same cars (R44), and it is the same in length (4 cars). The problem is it would require tunneling to reach 59th Street and continue on to Saint George. I had drawn a proposal on a map that would require the (G) to run from Church Avenue down a new tunnel on 14th Avenue to 62nd Street where it would use the Sea Beach Line or the old LIRR Bay Ridge Branch (it can carry a maximum of 6 tracks near the Sea Beach Line 2 of them could be used for subway service) and then it would run on to the SIR which would be converted into subway service. If the (G) could be extend and could use the SIR the SIR cars could have their extra equipment removed and they could be attached to the (G) cars thus making the (G) a total of 8 cars in length.

The bellmouths to Staten Island using 67th Street already exist just south of 59th/4th Av. The most reasonable train to use line would be a revived and extended (W).

I knew that once Bloomberg announced his plan, someone from Staten Island would chime-in. But honestly, how can you extend the (7) to NJ when there's no subway to Staten Island which is part of NYC? NJ already has PATH.

And I don't know why anyone would think the full SAS is going to happen now that the M15 SBS is here.

You actually won't be able to extend the (W) or the (R) into Staten Island. If you do it would be way too long. No subway service runs more then 3 boroughs. I am sorry but most likely for all you Staten Islanders it won't be a (R) or a (W). It would most likely be a reincarnated local service running down from Chambers Street or Broad Street replicating the brown <R> and the (G).

Actually I have done some old estimations looking at the costs of 1919 and 1929 to extend to Staten Island and that an extension to Staten Island would cost $600 million for the tunnel. I don't think an extension from Manhattan should be done. It's better to extend the (G) and a new service from Broad Street replicating the <R> to St George which in total in Brooklyn cost 1.2 billion so you could rebuild the North Shore and build a new West Shore Branch which would link to the main SIR north of Annadale. The new Broad Street service replicating the <R> would be send to Tottenville on the SIR right of way and the (G) would continue along the rebuilt North Shore Branch which would cost 400 million, and a new West Shore Line which would be 1 billion then it would run on to Tottenville. There is enough to have 400 million left over from the 3 billion.

Actually I have done some old estimations looking at the costs of 1919 and 1929 to extend to Staten Island and that an extension to Staten Island would cost $600 million for the tunnel. I don't think an extension from Manhattan should be done. It's better to extend the (G) and a new service from Broad Street replicating the <R> to St George which in total in Brooklyn cost 1.2 billion so you could rebuild the North Shore and build a new West Shore Branch which would link to the main SIR north of Annadale. The new Broad Street service replicating the <R> would be send to Tottenville on the SIR right of way and the (G) would continue along the rebuilt North Shore Branch which would cost 400 million, and a new West Shore Line which would be 1 billion then it would run on to Tottenville. There is enough to have 400 million left over from the 3 billion.

It makes no sense to extend the (G) train to Staten Island because those people don't want brooklyn or Queens, they want Manhattan! And telling them to transfer won't cut it, just extend the SIR into Manhattan and connect it with a subway line there and call it a day.

In general, stop coming up with these shenanigans over the (G) train. The (G) does not need to be extended to Coney Island...the (G) train does not need to be extended to 179th Street in Queens...the (G) train does not need to be routed through Manhattan...and the (G) most certainly does not need to be extended to Staten Island...if ANYTHING the (G) should just get full-length trains already but that's it, nothing else. Leave the (G) train alone for goodness sakes!

Yes but there is a reason why there was the (Mx) it was created in case if the Broadway Line had an emergency people could use the (Mx) to get to Lower Manhattan. Since the (M) left for Sixth Avenue the service is unfilled and a new Nassau service like the <R> could do wonders especially if it is extend to Staten Island via SIR.

The reason why I keep mentioning this is what service can run to Staten Island. It can't be the (R) or the (W). Also you guys killed the (G). You people are against replicating something similar to the <R> to Staten Island. Then what line can be sent into Staten Island is it going to be the LIRR. What is it?.

You actually won't be able to extend the (W) or the (R) into Staten Island. If you do it would be way too long. No subway service runs more then 3 boroughs. I am sorry but most likely for all you Staten Islanders it won't be a (R) or a (W). It would most likely be a reincarnated local service running down from Chambers Street or Broad Street replicating the brown <R> and the (G).

Way too long? The (2), (4), (A), and (D) are all much longer. The (G) train shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Staten Island.

You have to think though, the (Q) would already be running to Second Avenue by the time this line would ever be complete, leaving Astoria with one line again.

The (1) at South Ferry is too close to the water to descend underneath the bay.

And roadcruiser1, the 3 borough thing doesn't matter because there are times where I get to Manhattan faster using the S53, (R) and (N), rather than the usual bus/ferry/subway.

You know how long Second Avenue is taking. You know how long it would take to even consider sending the (T) to Staten Island. Whatever you guys are planning all of our recent proposals date back to 1919.

StatenIslandProposals.jpg

This is really almost impossible. You need a service to access Staten Island.

The (T) might be ready by the time a Staten Island tunnel is ever finished, or even built.

Why not just extend the SIR to Brooklyn, and have a transfer? Or, if you want it to use the subway infrastructure, make it run to 57th Street or the SAS.

Archived