Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

Have you ever paid any attention to my map, and do you know how long it would also take to construct a subway line to Staten Island Via NJ. It would take decades, and cost billions. Plus it won't be under the jurisdiction of the (MTA). It would be most likely under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority. Not just that most of my plans are using existing roads and rail networks. Yours would require whole new infrastructure.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Building any new type of subway line to Div A specs is stupid. Build it to Division B specs.

Why is it stupid? There is no existing infastructure on Richmond Ave, and building to Div A specs is cheaper and quicker, because the trains are smaller. If the SAS was built to Div A specs, it might already be done by now.

Have you ever paid any attention to my map, and do you know how long it would also take to construct a subway line to Staten Island Via NJ. It would take decades, and cost billions. Plus it won't be under the jurisdiction of the (MTA). It would be most likely under the jurisdiction of the Port Authority. Not just that most of my plans are using existing roads and rail networks. Yours would require whole new infrastructure.

First of all, this forum is how to spend $3 billion dollars to link the subway to SI, so your cost estimate is not really an issue. Also, as I said in my last post, the (7) uses Div A specs, which are cheaper and quicker to build. And why would the Port Authourity own the line in NJ? If the (MTA) builds it, they should keep it. Unless the Port Authourity buys the whole (7) line, it is still (MTA) property. The PA would also own your ferry and the (NJT) would own your light rail, by the way.

That's because it's New Jersey. It's owned by a whole different company called the Port Authority. Not just that the 3 billion is already gone. The money is being used to fund high speed rail, and any surviving money is now being used to fund the Amtrak Gateway Project. Also A Division specifics aren't faster to build. If it was the (7) train extension as of current would have been done a long time ago. The only other company that I would even think of operating such a subway line would be New Jersey Transit which operates the Hudson Bergen Light Rail.

That's because it's New Jersey. It's owned by a whole different company called the Port Authority. Not just that the 3 billion is already gone. The money is being used to fund high speed rail, and any surviving money is now being used to fund the Amtrak Gateway Project. Also A Division specifics aren't faster to build. If it was the (7) train extension as of current would have been done a long time ago. The only other company that I would even think of operating such a subway line would be New Jersey Transit which operates the Hudson Bergen Light Rail.

(1): If the Port Authourity is in charge of NJ, then how are they able to build in NYC but the (MTA) is not able to build in NJ? :mad:

(2): If the 3 billion dollars are already gone, then why are we continuing this discussion? Besides, it's the (MTA)'s money, not Amtrak's.

(3): What does your 6th sentance even mean? Enunciate, please. :confused:

(4): Why would (NJT) want to operate the (7)? They already have service in NYC, and if your theory holds correctly, they shouldn't be able to build in NYC in the first place.

(5): Maybe A div trains are not bult faster by much, but there is still some time left over

(6): I would love to see you make a fantasy map one day, if you haven't already. :P

If the (MTA) has no business in extending the subway to NJ, then why are PATH and (NJT) able to extend their service to NYC? Besides, the (MTA) already has Metro-North lines in CT and NJ. Why not subway, too?

About your other options, the (1) or (T) would be impossible to send to Staten Island, because a tunnel would be five long miles of nothingness, let alone the sheer cost of it. The (R) would also be impractical, because a train cannot be extended from 95th street straight to SI. There's not enough room.

The reason I want to send the (7) to NJ is because it is the most feasible and practical method of getting to Staten Island. In fact, the (7) could even go superexpress between Hoboken and SI. NJ is not the main point, it is merely a connection between SI and the rest of New York City, primarilly Manhattan.

And did I say the (7) would go down Richmond Rd. before? :confused: I meant Richmond Ave.

The Subway has no business leaving NYC....NJT is a regional Agency thus it serves NJ , NY , PA.... PATH is owned by NY and NJ and it can do what every it wants.... The Subway is owned by NY , so it cannot and should not enter NJ. Take care of your own system before you extend it into my state....

The discussion ended a long time ago. You just reactivated the thread that's all. This is over a year ago. Also the Port Authority operates in New York, and New Jersey. They only have permission to do it. That's why PATH exists. Any subway line that exists in NJ would belong to them and only them.

(1): If the Port Authourity is in charge of NJ, then how are they able to build in NYC but the (MTA) is not able to build in NJ? :mad:

(2): If the 3 billion dollars are already gone, then why are we continuing this discussion? Besides, it's the (MTA)'s money, not Amtrak's.

(3): What does your 6th sentance even mean? Enunciate, please. :confused:

(4): Why would (NJT) want to operate the (7)? They already have service in NYC, and if your theory holds correctly, they shouldn't be able to build in NYC in the first place.

(5): Maybe A div trains are not bult faster by much, but there is still some time left over

(6): I would love to see you make a fantasy map one day, if you haven't already. :P

The PA owns the Bridges , Tunnels , Ports , Airports in this region its a Bi-state agency it can do whatever it wants... The MTA is a New York Agency and trying to extend it outside of New York will take decades..... The 3 Billion went to Amtrak for Upgrading the NEC and few other things... NJT would operate the stupid 7 line extension into NJ , the MTA would. But Amtrak wants the 7 to go to Penn station , and i'm sure the PA Agrees.

First of all, this forum is how to spend $3 billion dollars to link the subway to SI, so your cost estimate is not really an issue. Also, as I said in my last post, the (7) uses Div A specs, which are cheaper and quicker to build. And why would the Port Authourity own the line in NJ? If the (MTA) builds it, they should keep it. Unless the Port Authourity buys the whole (7) line, it is still (MTA) property. The PA would also own your ferry and the (NJT) would own your light rail, by the way.

Division A specs allow for less load of passengers than Division B. If you're going to build something, do it right the first place. With it being to Division B specs, the MTA would be able to accommodate an increase in passenger load if it ever comes down to it.

Division A specs allow for less load of passengers than Division B. If you're going to build something, do it right the first place. With it being to Division B specs, the MTA would be able to accommodate an increase in passenger load if it ever comes down to it.

True, but A division tunnels and cars are cheaper to build, because they are smaller. The savings would be substantial, and the extra money could go to whatever the heck Roadcruiser1 was talking about.

Okay, everyone can stop hating on me for my factual errors. I am not familiar with cost and who the heck is allowed to put stuff where. :mad: I said that the (7) was the best option to send to SI, but if you hate me for saying it, post your own @$&*ing idea! Don't spend your time hating on mine!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

p.s., I have never seen so many people back you, Roadcruiser. And what about that fantasy map?

The PA owns the Bridges , Tunnels , Ports , Airports in this region its a Bi-state agency it can do whatever it wants... The MTA is a New York Agency and trying to extend it outside of New York will take decades..... The 3 Billion went to Amtrak for Upgrading the NEC and few other things... NJT would operate the stupid 7 line extension into NJ , the MTA would. But Amtrak wants the 7 to go to Penn station , and i'm sure the PA Agrees.

Not fully true the PA only operates the airports, they dont own them. Newark is owned by the city of Newark, JFK and LGA are owned by the City of NY

Wait... I got a better idea! Instead of the (7), a new line could be created from 57th street in Manhattan to Cranford in SI, called the (W). It would be a local in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and would travel the same route as the (R) until 59th Street. A tunnel would be built underneath NY harbour between 59th Street and St. George Terminal, where it would proceed to go along the North Shore branch. This would be alot cheaper than to send the (7) into NJ, and it wouldn't mess up the ®'s route. Is this any better? :P

Still would have over an hour to get to Manhattan that way.

It's over an hour to get to manhattan from the ferry, too. I would make the (W) express if I could, but I don't want to rework existing stations. I could make it express in Manhattan though...

My fantasy map is a light rail only map using current Staten Island Light Rail ideas. The only possible way to tunnel to Staten Island would be a subway line from 59th Street to St. George.

...which I included in my new idea as a (W). Can you include a link, or provide the name of the article the map is in?

High speed ferries would most certainly be faster and much more direct, but a subway is best as a sort of feeder line to the outer boroughs. You can't make the (W) express however, because it would jam all the subway lines, and it would stop the idea of extending the (W) to Queens, because it would be too long.

Here is the old subway connection plan to Staten Island using the IND Second System.

1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

Here is the West Shore Light Rail plan. It's an extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail. Notice the reactivated North Shore Rail.

staten-island1.jpg

Here is my Staten Island Light Rail Plan. The plan features faster ferries, and extra light rail lines, and it also features the SIR North Shore Branch's extension to Newark Airport. The map has changed a bit in my ideas, but not much. The only changes are that the SI Mall's Orange Line will run down Richmond Avenue instead, and would run to the Eltingville Station on the SIR, and the West Shore Light Rail would run to Richmond Valley instead. The Orange Line light rail utilizes the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and would run parallel to the SIE taking road lanes, but for a good use, and would run to Bay Ridge 95th Street on the (R).

5467268196_ce69834618_b.jpg

Archived