Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

As I said before earlier in this topic... (N) from Arlington Staten Island to Harlem-125th St. The (Q) would replace the (N) to Astoria and the (T) or (W) would run on Sea Beach. But a North Shore subway line would move the North Shore towards a positive direction like increased land values and greater transportation options (including a "1" seat subway ride to Manhattan).

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It would just be too confusing. Staten Island doesn't need express subway service. Just something to help them get off the island is sufficient. High speed ferries could give faster and much more direct service for the island. The subway would be slow and move in a circumference to Manhattan.

But a North Shore subway line would move the North Shore towards a positive direction like increased land values and greater transportation options (including a "1" seat subway ride to Manhattan).

Exactly! The North Shore would be boosted by the subway, and people on the (W) (or (N) as CJ_2Line91 says) would have a one seat ride to Manhattan. People on the SIR would be better off transfer-wise as well, as they would have a 2 seat ride instead of the 3 currently.

By the way, Roadcruiser, the SIR could be turned into an (S) during Rush-Hours for St. George-bound trains. That would be just as useful as a (W) going down there. Just leave Bay Terrace it's stop, please :eek:

Not fully true the PA only operates the airports, they dont own them. Newark is owned by the city of Newark, JFK and LGA are owned by the City of NY

Actually the PA does own the Airports , Seaports and Hudson / Kill Van Kull Bridges...

Well the benefits of running the (W) on the North Shore Branch would allow it to run on the Astoria Line in Queens, because it would have less stations. At max the new (W) from Astoria Ditmars Boulevard to Newark Liberty International Airport would only have 43 stations as a local train. It would be about as long as the (R). Also the (N) can't be moved to Staten Island. My math shows that it's already long enough, and it shouldn't be any longer. Switching it won't help either, and the (T) is too far off in time to even be considered.

Well the benefits of running the (W) on the North Shore Branch would allow it to run on the Astoria Line in Queens, because it would have less stations. At max the new (W) from Astoria Ditmars Boulevard to Newark Liberty International Airport would only have 43 stations as a local train. It would be about as long as the (R). Also the (N) can't be moved to Staten Island. My math shows that it's already long enough, and it shouldn't be any longer. Switching it won't help either, and the (T) is too far off in time to even be considered.

Finally, someone gets one of my ideas!:o The (W) would actually be 5 stations shorter than the (R); the (N) already has its own problems, and the (T), like the Edsel, is a no-go. (I can't believe I was able to fit in a Billy Joel refrence!!:P)

Anyway here is how the strategy would play out on the map. The West Shore Light Rail, and my idea of a light rail line from Eltingville to Bay Ridge-95th Street is also seen here.

5822260123_5c58ff89b4_b.jpg

Very good! Can you have a station where the West Shore Light Rail and the (W) intersect?

No the West Shore Light Rail would be on the Bayonne Bridge's ramps, and the North Shore Line would be in open cut. There is no way a train station could be built between these two. However at Arlington there is a visible transfer between the North Shore Branch and the West Shore Light Rail as seen on the map.

No the West Shore Light Rail would be on the Bayonne Bridge's ramps, and the North Shore Line would be in open cut. There is no way a train station could be built between these two. However at Arlington there is a visible transfer between the North Shore Branch and the West Shore Light Rail as seen on the map.

I hadn't even seen that little transfer line...

How can the (W) be open cut? Staten Island is hard bedrock, it would be impractical to build a tunnel underground. I can get it at the very beginning, near St. George, but a line similar to the SIR would be more practical, not to mention much cheaper, because the old lines are already above-ground.

The North Shore Branch between Elm Park & Port Ivory is completely constructed into open cut. The (W), and the (S) will use this ROW. So it would be in open cut.

Really? How did they accomplish it, with SI's hard bedrock?

Also here is a geological map of Staten Island showing what bedrock is where.

SI_map.jpg

Here is an explanation of what is what.

Diabase- Volcanic basalt rocks.

Sandstone/Conglomerate- Rocks made out of sand.

Serpentine- Rocks made out of iron and nickel.

Till- Is glacial sand.

Outwash- Glacier rocks composed of sand.

Don't ask me. I wasn't alive during the years the SIR was under construction.

The question was rhetorical. I'm astounded at their workpersonship. At least I know how the West Shore LR can't transfer directly.

Archived