Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

No. It would just be too confusing. Staten Island doesn't need express subway service. Just something to help them get off the island is sufficient. High speed ferries could give faster and much more direct service for the island. The subway would be slow and move in a circumference to Manhattan.

In order to be competitive with the express buses, timewise, subway trains to/from SI would need to run express. In Brooklyn, at least. You could get away with running local in Manhattan, because SI express buses already make stops in Midtown and Lower Manhattan near Broadway Local subway stops. It's Brooklyn that you have to get through as quickly as possible in order to get sufficient numbers of commuters to make the switch from express buses to subway trains. An SI train that runs local in Brooklyn won't do that.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I proposed a idea a while back...

1. the (N) be rerouted onto the North Shore going express in Brooklyn and Manhattan to Harlem-125th St
  2. the (T) or (W) be routed onto the Sea Beach or West End being local in Brooklyn
  3. The (D) is definitely to be express in Brooklyn

Now I adding that the (B) via Culver EXP, Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, to the SI tunnel goes down to Tottenville with the (SIR) so the (N) wouldn't be overcrowded with the amount of transfers at St. George.

I proposed a idea a while back...

1. the (N) be rerouted onto the North Shore going express in Brooklyn and Manhattan to Harlem-125th St

2. the (T) or (W) be routed onto the Sea Beach or West End being local in Brooklyn

3. The (D) is definitely to be express in Brooklyn

Now I adding that the (;) via Culver EXP, Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, to the SI tunnel goes down to Tottenville with the (SIR) so the (N) wouldn't be overcrowded with the amount of transfers at St. George.

But then what would replace the (B) on the Brighton Express tracks? If overcrowding at St. George would be an issue, why not have a few rush hour (N) trains run through to/from Tottenville joining the other (N)'s at St. George? Sort of like how you have a few rush hour (A) trains that run through to/from Rockaway Park that join the Far Rockaway (A)'s at Broad Channel.

But then what would replace the (;) on the Brighton Express tracks?
Oh crap!! I forgot the (B) replacement LOL...
If overcrowding at St. George would be an issue, why not have a few rush hour (N) trains run through to/from Tottenville joining the other (N)'s at St. George? Sort of like how you have a few rush hour (A) trains that run through to/from Rockaway Park that join the Far Rockaway (A)'s at Broad Channel
I see your point! All I'm saying is I don't want St. George to be what Essex-Delancey St used to be where alot of people transfered from the (J)(Mx)(Z) to (F).

Again why is the subway needed as of now? Light rail is a better solution for Staten Island right now until the population increase calls for it.

First of all, it used to support a heavy rail line and the population was much smaller than it is today.

Second of all, we already have the infrastructure to support heavy rail (the yards).

Third of all, it would be compatible with the SIR, so in case there are problems, we can interchange the cars.

Fourth of all, SI is the fastest growing borough and light rail limits growth potential. If somebody were to build a bunch of high-rises along the route, light rail might not be able to accomodate the ridership.

Finally, if the line is ever connected to the subway (which would greatly increase SI's population, as it would be much easier to access Manhattan), you can't do it with light rail.

Sure, light rail can be connected to the HBLR, but that's not a good enough reason to choose that over heavy rail. Like I said, my plan would be as follows:

* The North Shore Rail Line from St. George to Arlington.

* The West Shore Rail Line as an extension of the HBLR via the MLK, SIE, and WSE.

* A transfer would be built between the 2 at Elm Park. There would be 1 zones for the West Shore Rail:

Zone 1: intra-SI

Zone 2: intra-NJ

Zone 1 would charge the MTA base fare and pretty much act like a local bus as far as accepting transfers goes.

Zone 2 would be the same as it is today.

The SI-NJ pass would be about $3.50 if it existed today (with a monthly pass costing around $150 and being valid as an Unlimited MetroCard and 1 Zone NJT pass). If somebody uses NJT commuter rail, they'd just have to pay the MTA fare (since as of now, the commuter rail pass is valid on the HBLR)

Light rail is cheaper though, because it can already utilize existing infrastructure like the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn. The subway would take a long time as we can already see from the construction of the Second Avenue Subway, and infrastructure would have to be built for places that never had it raising costs. Besides I don't really see what most of us are doing this. Most of us don't even live on the island having only visited. Literally Staten Island is the forgotten borough.

Light rail is cheaper though, because it can already utilize existing infrastructure like the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn. The subway would take a long time as we can already see from the construction of the Second Avenue Subway, and infrastructure would have to be built for places that never had it raising costs. Besides I don't really see what most of us are doing this. Most of us don't even live on the island having only visited. Literally Staten Island is the forgotten borough.

But I do live on SI and I'm saying what would work.

Besides, the infrastructure is already there: They have to restore the ROW whether they have heavy rail or light rail running along it.

Plus, a one-seat ride to Manhattan makes a big difference in terms of ridership. See the (G) train as an example of this. If you wanted to send the light rail through Brooklyn and give SIers a direct ride to Manhattan, you might as well use the more direct route and just extend the SIR from St. George.

It would cost a lot, but the investment would be worth it. We just need the political support to allocate funding for the project in the first place.

You don't live there either so don't speak for Staten's behalf of what they need and don't need. I know alot of people from Staten and they're view of a Staten subway is alot different from yours.

The problem is it might end up not being built like the original Staten Island subway tunnel that now lies underneath NY Harbor as we speak. Plus I still stick to light rail, because it can utilize the bridge while an whole underwater tunnel would take decades to construct.

The ultimate goal of connecting Staten Island to the rest of the city "transportation wise" is it defeats the purpose of taking the express bus and the ferry. A subway train service that connects to BMT 4th Ave and runs express in Brooklyn and Manhattan defeats the purpose of taking the ferry and express bus cause that's a one-seat ride to the city. That's why I brag the (N) from Arlington to Harlem-125th fits that citeria perfectly.

Now a subway tunnel under the harbor and light rail over the Verrazano would be a great successor to handling future growth of Staten, but SI-Brooklyn would offer more since it would bring riders to Brooklyn, the LIRR, it's one seat requiring no transfers and the Cross-Harbor freight would be sharing that same 2-level tunnel.

Express service won't do much for Staten Island. Staten Island is 6 miles away from Lower Manhattan and almost a mile away from Brooklyn. The distance between everything would still not make it popular, and the North Shore Light Rail is aiming at West Shore Plaza so that is where a subway to Staten Island would most likely go.

Express service won't do much for Staten Island. Staten Island is 6 miles away from Lower Manhattan and almost a mile away from Brooklyn. The distance between everything would still not make it popular, and the North Shore Light Rail is aiming at West Shore Plaza so that is where a subway to Staten Island would most likely go.
And Far Rockaway is way further than 6 miles away from Lower Manhattan but thanks to the city they converted the LIRR Rocakway branch for subway use and is a thrieving communiy building hotels and condo's along the beach. What's your point?

And Far Rockaway is way further than 6 miles away from Lower Manhattan but thanks to the city they converted the LIRR Rocakway branch for subway use and used to be a thrieving communiy building hotels and condo's along the beach. What's your point?

Fixed.

Archived