Taking Amtrak to the city next time

R1Toasty

So, a little while back when I was in Cincinnati I picked up an Amtrak schedule and have hence researched the voyage from Cinci to NYC (Penn Station) and found it not to be so bad of a deal at $101 per person (base fare) and 15 or so hours of riding, though the downer is getting on the train at 3:30 AM. Has anyone ever had experience with Amtrak? Would you recommend I go for it? There's 3 of us, should we go for 2 rooms (2 people per room for like $237 more per person) or just seats? And can I take pictures?

I've taken amtrak a whole bunch on the :nec: and i never once had an issue except the time where i got on a late train thinking it was the one i bought ticket for. They were very understanding and didn't kick me off half way at a scheduled stop, which they could have. Be ready to pack some $ with you to buy food on board, and have a back up pack of food that isn't temperature sensitive in case you need it anywhere on your trip. Aside from that and the obvious "going away from where i live" checklist you'll be fine and probably have fun.

- Andy

Thanks for the info, I'm fairly certain we'll get on the right train, seeing as it stops at Cincinnati once a day at 3:30 AM, and that's the only train that stops there. We'll certainly have cash and non-perishables with us, the only problem is that we have 3 people and rooms fit 2... but oh well, we'll figure something out. By the way, how far away is Penn Station from it's respective subway station?

Thanks for the info, I'm fairly certain we'll get on the right train, seeing as it stops at Cincinnati once a day at 3:30 AM, and that's the only train that stops there. We'll certainly have cash and non-perishables with us, the only problem is that we have 3 people and rooms fit 2... but oh well, we'll figure something out. By the way, how far away is Penn Station from it's respective subway station?

The subway connection is a drect connection underground. As far as distance... it depends on which platform you get when the train pulls in, and which stairway/escalator you take, but generally its a 2 minute or less walk. I tend to come up on the stairs towards the inward end of the platform where the tracks terminate. There are signs everywhere to guide you. You will have to decide which line you want to take, the (A)(C)(E) to one side of the hallway of the LIRR concourse, and the (1)(2)(3) is on the other side near the hallway that goes to stairs to 33rd street. Suggestion: Don't use the LIRR bathrooms in the waiting rooms, use the one(s) on the main concourse level. I suggest taking a few minutes to wander around and figure how all the levels and stairs and halls connect. If you need to get money out anywhere in penn station do it where/in a way no one can see how much you have, especially if you got a wallet. Pickpockets have been targeting NYP lately as people have been dressing down for the warmer weather. There are 3 concourse areas, the LIRR, NJtransit, and main/amtrak area. In the NJtransit area there are ticket machines for NJtransit, and PATH. In the LIRR areas there are metrocard/LIRR ticket machines, but don't get a metrocard there or it will be a paper one. to get your metrocard i suggest going to a machine by the (A)(C)(E) just up the stairs from an ATM bank. There is a station agent in view of the machines, and easy access back into the rest of the station down the stairs from where the machines are. If you need any more info you can totally ask me or anyone. I'm at nyp at least once a week going to and from the city. If you want to not take the (1)(2)(3) or (A)(C)(E) you can go upstairs to the street level, up to 34th street, and go the the herald square station which has the (N)(R)(W)(Q) and the (F)(V)(:((D). If you need any more info, i can find out for you next week when i go again.

- Andy

Here is a photo of the hallway in between the (A)(C)(E) and (1)(2)(3) located on the LIRR concourse level. It is taken from near the exit hallway to 33rd street and (1)(2)(3) station. It isn't my photo, it's from wiki.

Penn_Station_LIRR_concourse.jpg

- Andy

The subway connection is a drect connection underground. As far as distance... it depends on which platform you get when the train pulls in, and which stairway/escalator you take, but generally its a 2 minute or less walk. I tend to come up on the stairs towards the inward end of the platform where the tracks terminate. There are signs everywhere to guide you. You will have to decide which line you want to take, the (A)(C)(E) to one side of the hallway of the LIRR concourse, and the (1)(2)(3) is on the other side near the hallway that goes to stairs to 33rd street. Suggestion: Don't use the LIRR bathrooms in the waiting rooms, use the one(s) on the main concourse level. I suggest taking a few minutes to wander around and figure how all the levels and stairs and halls connect. If you need to get money out anywhere in penn station do it where/in a way no one can see how much you have, especially if you got a wallet. Pickpockets have been targeting NYP lately as people have been dressing down for the warmer weather. There are 3 concourse areas, the LIRR, NJtransit, and main/amtrak area. In the NJtransit area there are ticket machines for NJtransit, and PATH. In the LIRR areas there are metrocard/LIRR ticket machines, but don't get a metrocard there or it will be a paper one. to get your metrocard i suggest going to a machine by the (A)(C)(E) just up the stairs from an ATM bank. There is a station agent in view of the machines, and easy access back into the rest of the station down the stairs from where the machines are. If you need any more info you can totally ask me or anyone. I'm at nyp at least once a week going to and from the city. If you want to not take the (1)(2)(3) or (A)(C)(E) you can go upstairs to the street level, up to 34th street, and go the the herald square station which has the (N)(R)(W)(Q) and the (F)(V)(:((D). If you need any more info, i can find out for you next week when i go again.

- Andy

Thanks, our hotel is on the (1) so that should work out well for us. I think we can figure it all out ok. Thanks for the info... there are regular metrocard machines by the (A)(C)(E)/(1)(2)(3) station where I can get a 7 day unlimited metrocard, right?

Thanks, our hotel is on the (1) so that should work out well for us. I think we can figure it all out ok. Thanks for the info... there are regular metrocard machines by the (A)(C)(E)/(1)(2)(3) station where I can get a 7 day unlimited metrocard, right?

I know there are 3 cash accepting & 3 cc/debit only machines on the (A)(C)(E) side but i am not sure about the (1)(2)(3) side as i do not often take the (1) out of nyp, usually i'm on the (E) going to times square on 42nd street/pabt. I know there is a station office there for the (1)(2)(3) though.

- Andy

I know there are 3 cash accepting & 3 cc/debit only machines on the (A)(C)(E) side but i am not sure about the (1)(2)(3) side as i do not often take the (1) out of nyp, usually i'm on the (E) going to times square on 42nd street/pabt. I know there is a station office there for the (1)(2)(3) though.

- Andy

The (A)(C)(E) side is much closer to where the trains are as it's under 8th ave. 7th ave is where the (1)(2)(3) line runs under 7th ave here.

If you want to check out GCT right after you drop your bags off at the hotel simply hop on the (1) again up to times square and catch the (S) over to GCT. Be warned though, the trains between penn station and times square are packed.

- Andy

Yeah, I'm content with being on a train for long periods of time... I'll probably just stare out the window a lot on the way up, but it's much faster than driving to my dad's GF's house and taking the train to GCT from Poughkeepsie. I'll be in the city for a week, so we've definitely got time to spare on the trip up and back, so no worries there. The trip is really more like 17 hrs and some change, but that's ok, 3:30 AM to 9:40 PM isn't too bad for us... do you know what kind of electronics support the Amtrak train would have (ie plugs, or an unlikely internet connection)?

Just be ready for delays when riding Amtrak on a trip like this. If you can seat on a train for a good 15 hours and you're probably gonna be guaranteed more, then you should be just fine.

That's what i was thinking too. On the road i gotta pace myself but on a train usually its so comfy it doesn't matter. It's important if you have the energy to walk around a bit, into the other cars. Don't feel afraid to sit in an open seat for a bit on one of the coach cars for a nice change or the cafe/lounge car when you're going to have some food. 18 hours (current estimated travel time according to amtrak) is a long time, its longer than most people are awake on an average day. The recent speed restrictions on the :nec: will all most guarantee you will not arrive on time, so make sure to keep in touch with your hotel to make sure they don't give your room(s) away or do other funky hotel crap to you. Also i see you said you have 3 people and the room is meant for 2, well you could easily take turns chilling in the dining/lounge car. Most of all don't forget to enjoy the trip, you're going to be going through some of the most beautiful parts of the country by rail, i really do envy you. Don't be afraid to take thousands of photos and post a few here as well. :(

- Andy

That's what i was thinking too. On the road i gotta pace myself but on a train usually its so comfy it doesn't matter. It's important if you have the energy to walk around a bit, into the other cars. Don't feel afraid to sit in an open seat for a bit on one of the coach cars for a nice change or the cafe/lounge car when you're going to have some food. 18 hours (current estimated travel time according to amtrak) is a long time, its longer than most people are awake on an average day. The recent speed restrictions on the :nec: will all most guarantee you will not arrive on time, so make sure to keep in touch with your hotel to make sure they don't give your room(s) away or do other funky hotel crap to you. Also i see you said you have 3 people and the room is meant for 2, well you could easily take turns chilling in the dining/lounge car. Most of all don't forget to enjoy the trip, you're going to be going through some of the most beautiful parts of the country by rail, i really do envy you. Don't be afraid to take thousands of photos and post a few here as well. :(

- Andy

Oh right. Yea, your guaranteed to be held up abit once coming into Joisey. Different loading patterns up and down the line starting next month. Man, its gonna be fun riding the NEC next month starting the 11th.

Oh right. Yea, your guaranteed to be held up abit once coming into Joisey. Different loading patterns up and down the line starting next month. Man, its gonna be fun riding the NEC next month starting the 11th.

The posted information states it could last into next year. :eek::mad::( but hey, they gotta be done. Some are cracked and held temporarily with wooden ties in between the concrete ones. I saw them starting work yesterday, with a huge long amtrak work train loaded with ties & new rails being put in on the inner east (nyc) bound track in the morning. Was filled in with new grey gravel balast on the way home. Looks like they are going to be replacing all of the wooden point sets with concrete sets as well. Should make everything a LOT safer. I made a thread bout the service changes in the (NJT) rail forum.

- Andy

The posted information states it could last into next year. :eek::mad::( but hey, they gotta be done. Some are cracked and held temporarily with wooden ties in between the concrete ones. I saw them starting work yesterday, with a huge long amtrak work train loaded with ties & new rails being put in on the inner east (nyc) bound track in the morning. Was filled in with new grey gravel balast on the way home. Looks like they are going to be replacing all of the wooden point sets with concrete sets as well. Should make everything a LOT safer. I made a thread bout the service changes in the (NJT) rail forum.

- Andy

Thats actually been there for a while. And theres another too around Kearny. That one is moved from time to time.

Thats actually been there for a while. And theres another too around Kearny. That one is moved from time to time.

Not to get too off topic, but this train was on track 1 and the work area had no ballast for about 3 miles, i have a photo i'll post in the (NJT) forum. It was headed up by a live and running amtrak diesel, plus there were several other pieces of equipment not directly attached to the train. Was really cool to see actually.

- Andy

It still sounds like a good idea to me, definitely worth the experience and the money. Just so you guys know, we're leaving June 22nd, returning on the 29th, with 3 people (me, my friend, and my dad) which is certainly the reason why we would like a room (ehm, dad like to sleep in various states of undress). Anyway, I'll take pictures of the scenery for you guys and post them here.

By the way, do you know of any great places to instill a definite sense of love for the subway in someone who is interested but hasn't really ever ridden it much before?

It still sounds like a good idea to me, definitely worth the experience and the money. Just so you guys know, we're leaving June 22nd, returning on the 29th, with 3 people (me, my friend, and my dad) which is certainly the reason why we would like a room (ehm, dad like to sleep in various states of undress). Anyway, I'll take pictures of the scenery for you guys and post them here.

By the way, do you know of any great places to instill a definite sense of love for the subway in someone who is interested but hasn't really ever ridden it much before?

Take the (7) out to shea and back, and the (N) to coney island, and the (F) from coney island to roosevelt island, taking the tram back to manhattan.

On the way out to shea you will see amtrak's sunnyside yards which are full of amtrak & njt stuff galore, and the corona yards that the (7) trains chill at can be seen right from the walkway connecting the (7)(7x), LIRR and the stadum and park areas.

The (F) between coney island & roosevelt island is an extremely interesting ride as you travel from one island (long island) to a second (manhattan) to a 3rd (roosevelt). The only subway line with stops on all 3. There is a walkway around the northern portion of roosevelt island, and it is very relaxed & safe and a good place to wind down your day. There are benches along the manhattan facing side of the walkway near the subway station.

The (N) can be boarded at herald square and takes just under an hour to get to coney island/stillwell ave. You should get a hotdog at nathan's, and ride the wonderwheel & do it up since the beach will be in full swing by then.

- Andy

Cool, thanks a bunch, I've been around the subway a fair bit myself, but it's always challenging to introduce somebody to it and be sure they like it. We'll be around the subway a fair bit, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Cool, thanks a bunch, I've been around the subway a fair bit myself, but it's always challenging to introduce somebody to it and be sure they like it. We'll be around the subway a fair bit, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

Make sure to check out the (E) and the airtrain at jamaica center too, also don't forget to check out WTC site and battery park. You can easily walk between the chambers street (E) and battery park and then take the (1) back to your hotel at the south ferry station down there. If you have a good camera you can get some really nice shots of lady liberty, and ellis island, as well as the former CRRNJ railroad terminal which is now part of liberty state park. On a clear day you can also see the tops of the towers of the verrazano narrows bridge from the battery. If you have the time please do go visit both liberty island and ellis island.

- Andy

Will do. The airtrain was a fun ride last time I was there, especially with it's nice large RFW (I flew into JFK). We'll probably end up going back to the Statue of Liberty and all the touristy places, seeing as we'll have somebody with us that's never been to any of them. I remember last time I was there I went through the Cortlands St station on the way up to Times Square after coming back from RFing, it was certainly interesting, most definitely being worked on.

Will do. The airtrain was a fun ride last time I was there, especially with it's nice large RFW (I flew into JFK). We'll probably end up going back to the Statue of Liberty and all the touristy places, seeing as we'll have somebody with us that's never been to any of them. I remember last time I was there I went through the Cortlands St station on the way up to Times Square after coming back from RFing, it was certainly interesting, most definitely being worked on.

I am pretty sure cortland street (1) will never be re-opened for passenger service, at the very least not till the WTC complex is completed. There are some rumors i've heard that the tunnel will be re-aligned to accommodate the new construction above. The tunnel currently is being stabilized by temporary shoring to allow service to south ferry. As the WTC site construction progresses i think the platform will be removed and new side & top structure will be put in place.

- Andy

Interesting how they did that with the tunnel. Anyway, a recent development came to my attention, as my friend incurred a $600 cell phone bill by secretly texting on his mom's phone, he might not be going anywhere for a long time. Hmm, now I've gotta find someone else if it turns out he can't go... :(

Interesting how they did that with the tunnel. Anyway, a recent development came to my attention, as my friend incurred a $600 cell phone bill by secretly texting on his mom's phone, he might not be going anywhere for a long time. Hmm, now I've gotta find someone else if it turns out he can't go... :(

That sucks man. I am pretty sure the refund for those tickets is not a big deal if done far ahead enough from the travel date. I've canceled tickets & got a full refund the same day it was to be used. Call amtrak to get info on that for a plan B or C.

- Andy

Yeah, we're not sure when he'll be released from his house's dungeon, but we'll wait a while until his mom cools down a little to ask if he can still come. The trip should be far enough away for him to gain a little favor, but we'll see.

Archived