3800 & The Orion VII NG Demos.

Novabus 5000

Guest MTA Bus

When the NGs first arrived, Basiely Park tested 3 demo units: 1292, 1294, and 1295. What I want to know is:

1. Where are those demos ?

2.If MTA still has them, cant they give them to Basiely Park ?

Has it been proven that (MTA) Bus 1295 (One of the Orion NG Demos for (MTA) ), it in fact now bus 3800. If you look at it, I don't think so.

Also, what are the stats on Demo buses 1292 & 1294?

1292 is still with Orion as an engineering/test bus as of this writing. 1294 was also used as a Orion engineering bus but is now with Roosevelt Island as #7.

So 1295 & 3800 are 2 different buses? I was told differently.

Similar yes, but not exactly the same. I would imagine that modifications would've been made from the time that 1295 was put out and then 3800 came out.

One modification that was certainly made was to help improve the hybrids from bottoming out as they were getting killed on the SI streets. Now since many major streets have been repaved here on the island this year that were in horrible shape, that should be less of an issue in addition to the modifications that the MTA made. They supposedly also worked to improve the stop and start on the buses, but I still think they jerk way too much.

It definately looks like 1295 and 3800 are different buses. The eBay listing showed 1295 as it was always specified (ie. without the extra exterior lights MTA specified on production buses). It also had a lithium ion battery pack swapped in.

When did they swap in the lithium ion? It had lead acid when it was with us.

When we started getting the 3900s and above here on Staten Island, I believe around that time the 3800s underwent some modifications. I would that's when the battery swap came in as well on some of them.

None of the 3800's had modifications except 3800 and 3801. And these were only minor. There were no battery swaps either. 3800-3959 have lead acid batteries, and the rest have the newer lithium ion packs.

And 1294 was the only demo that I know of having lithium ions swapped in.

None of the 3800's had modifications except 3800 and 3801. And these were only minor. There were no battery swaps either. 3800-3959 have lead acid batteries, and the rest have the newer lithium ion packs.

And 1294 was the only demo that I know of having lithium ions swapped in.

By modifications, GPS was one thing that came to mind, as well as those luggage racks. As far as the battery swaps, I did remember that when the 3900s came out was when they switched from using the lead acid batteries to putting in the lithium ones, so that is why I said I thought that the battery swap came in on some of them, but I couldn't remember which ones, but I stated it poorly...

Well just to be a pedant, 3800-3829 have obviously been GPS-equipped, but you are right that there have been no major changes to the 38xx fleet.

I wasn't aware of 1295 having Li-ons either. Plus, weren't the Li-ons fitted to the demo buses a different shape than 3960 and above, closer to 6401/2 and 6485?

Yes, the one fitted to 1294 was similar to the ones retrofitted to the 6400's. The NG's have the standard A123 systems pack.

Archived