Express bus cut talk

Via Garibaldi 8

There have been a few threads on this topic with some saying that express bus service should be reduced, especially on MTA Bus lines (i.e. somes QM, BM and BXM buses) and I'm wondering how much of a possibility this would have of happening? Also, seeing that much of the MTA bus depots run mainly express bus service, if major cuts were to happen with express bus service on the MTA Bus lines, that would lead to serious layoffs of B/Os.... My understanding is that because the city subsidizes these lines, MTA Bus isn't really losing any money by running them.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one way that the MTA would be able to save money by eliminating these express routes is if the former passengers switched to NYCT services.

For example, under current circumstances, the BM4 costs $40 per person on weekends. However, the city covers that $40, so the cost to the MTA is nothing (but the MTA doesn't receive any money because the city is only covering the difference between operating costs and operating revenue).

If the BM4 were cut and the passengers all switched to the B31, the MTA would get $2.25 for every person who switched, since those would pay the fare to the MTA.

At least, that is how I understand the way MTA Bus works.

The one way that the MTA would be able to save money by eliminating these express routes is if the former passengers switched to NYCT services.

For example, under current circumstances, the BM4 costs $40 per person on weekends. However, the city covers that $40, so the cost to the MTA is nothing (but the MTA doesn't receive any money because the city is only covering the difference between operating costs and operating revenue).

If the BM4 were cut and the passengers all switched to the B31, the MTA would get $2.25 for every person who switched, since those would pay the fare to the MTA.

At least, that is how I understand the way MTA Bus works.

I am also curious as to when that contract with the city and MTA Bus will end?

Bloomberg has said that he is committed to providing transportation services to everyone.

The both of you are F n idiots thats first

Second ain't nobody getting Laid off because of this ,If anything then Switched to Another Depot like how we have it (Consolidate) and shipped out .Hey maybe all Staten Island buses will get dumped huh how bout that now where would you put them Checkmate Chumps huh where O let me guess ,Yous too would make Ulmer Park and Flatbush pick up the slack right so lets talk about Deadheading cuz Me and A few others know already that you have this issue about Buses so lets talk about Pssy then huh lets get into something worth while to chat about but we all know what you think about Pu tang pie you and that clone

I'll be awaiting your dumbass Reply

Second ain't nobody getting Laid off because of this ,If anything then Switched to Another Depot like how we have it (Consolidate) and shipped out .Hey maybe all Staten Island buses will get dumped huh how bout that now where would you put them Checkmate Chumps huh where O let me guess ,Yous too would make Ulmer Park and Flatbush pick up the slack right so lets talk about Deadheading cuz Me and A few others know already that you have this issue about Buses so lets talk about Pssy then huh lets get into something worth while to chat about but we all know what you think about Pu tang pie you and that clone

I don't know how to reply since I can't understand what you're trying to say. I know you have issues w/me (lol), but what did checkmate do to get you so irritated? Or are you always excited like this?

Damn, take it easy KR. Think about R38s.

I find Knight Rider to be hilarious... I mean you can't honestly take any of this stuff seriously. I think he just likes to **** around.

Nah trust me, I know KR in person and he's a cool person to get along with. My guess is that he just misinterpreted the thread. Hey, we're human, we all make mistakes.

Now, what you say is true, except they did cut some MTA Bus lines in June, both local likes and express lines. I don't really know what power MTA has on the Bus Co. routes if the city is the one subsidizing the funds for the routes. My guess is that they want to cut jobs, I'm really not sure.

Nah trust me, I know KR in person and he's a cool person to get along with. My guess is that he just misinterpreted the thread. Hey, we're human, we all make mistakes.

Now, what you say is true, except they did cut some MTA Bus lines in June, both local likes and express lines. I don't really know what power MTA has on the Bus Co. routes if the city is the one subsidizing the funds for the routes. My guess is that they want to cut jobs, I'm really not sure.

There has been comments from others about express bus service needing to be cut, so I'm curious about the reality of it happening.

I think by now everyone should know that I am pro-express bus and am against any cuts in service. :cool:

There have been a few threads on this topic with some saying that express bus service should be reduced, especially on MTA Bus lines (i.e. somes QM, BM and BXM buses) and I'm wondering how much of a possibility this would have of happening? Also, seeing that much of the MTA bus depots run mainly express bus service, if major cuts were to happen with express bus service on the MTA Bus lines, that would lead to serious layoffs of B/Os.... My understanding is that because the city subsidizes these lines, MTA Bus isn't really losing any money by running them.

Then local bus service would increase thus needing more B/Os for local service.

I think he's saying that if those express routes were cut, the MTA would need to add some local service for those former express bus riders. That would allow some bus operators to keep their jobs, but you'd still end up with extra bus drivers.

Maybe the number of B/Os would be reduced through attrition-not replacing B/Os who retired.

There has been comments from others about express bus service needing to be cut, so I'm curious about the reality of it happening.

I think by now everyone should know that I am pro-express bus and am against any cuts in service. :cool:

I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately there were routes that are severely underused. The X16, X18, X20, X25 and X32 were among the lowest-used routes in NYCT, racking in high operation costs per passengers. But if you ask me, it could have been worse. In 1995 the MTA wanted to get rid of all express buses outside of Staten Island.

Trust me, i like express buses but they attribute to a lot of waste...drivers deadheading to the depots empty for example.

I think he's saying that if those express routes were cut, the MTA would need to add some local service for those former express bus riders. That would allow some bus operators to keep their jobs, but you'd still end up with extra bus drivers.

Maybe the number of B/Os would be reduced through attrition-not replacing B/Os who retired.

Yeah, pretty much, terrible wording on my part.

I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately there were routes that are severely underused. The X16, X18, X20, X25 and X32 were among the lowest-used routes in NYCT, racking in high operation costs per passengers. But if you ask me, it could have been worse. In 1995 the MTA wanted to get rid of all express buses outside of Staten Island.

Actually, the X16 and X18 were about average in terms of cost per passenger. The average express route cost $8.64 per person. By comparison, the X16 cost $8.16 and the X18 cost $8.76. The reason they got rid of them was because the MTA felt that there were reasonable alternatives (lets not start a debate on whether or not they are reasonable)

Why would they need to add local buses for those lost express buses? My thinking is that most express bus riders do not use local buses and the ones that do are a small portion. The reason being that most of them have cars.

If Express bus service is to be cut or reduced, then id expand CityTickets with MNR/LIRR to weekdays as well within NYC Limits! Seeing that it is faster to use the RR then to use the Express Bus.. maybe even subways is faster then Exp Bus too.

Archived