Two Small Questions About S89 Service

EE Broadway Local

When Bayonne West Eighth Street (West Eighth Street and Avenue C) opens, will the S89 continue to run to East 34th Street or might it get shortened to the new Bayonne West Eighth Street terminal?

Also, with the reverse peak direction service being about half (6 trips) of the peak direction (13-14 trips), how does the layup at East 34th Street and Eltingville Transit Center work? Do some of the peak direction buses travel back light or go OOS at Yukon?

When Bayonne West Eighth Street (West Eighth Street and Avenue C) opens, will the S89 continue to run to East 34th Street or might it get shortened to the new Bayonne West Eighth Street terminal?

Also, with the reverse peak direction service being about half (6 trips) of the peak direction (13-14 trips), how does the layup at East 34th Street and Eltingville Transit Center work? Do some of the peak direction buses travel back light or go OOS at Yukon?

My guess is that since East 34th is about 1/2 mile away and the (MTA) looking to save every penny i think it will be cut to the 8th st light rail station.

I asked this question about a month ago on another thread. It looks like the S89 will terminate at 8th Street.

I believe all of those extra S89s go back to Yukon light. I see "Out of Service" buses going down Morningstar Road to become S48s (the ones that start at Richmond Avenue in the AM rush), but I believe those are coming directly from Castleton (or possibly from St. George)

Living near the S89, I think short-turn trips to Yukon Avenue would make a lot of sense. It would barely cost the MTA any money at all.

I asked this question about a month ago on another thread. It looks like the S89 will terminate at 8th Street.

I believe all of those extra S89s go back to Yukon light. I see "Out of Service" buses going down Morningstar Road to become S48s (the ones that start at Richmond Avenue in the AM rush), but I believe those are coming directly from Castleton (or possibly from St. George)

Living near the S89, I think short-turn trips to Yukon Avenue would make a lot of sense. It would barely cost the MTA any money at all.

What puzzles me though is why does the S89 run out of Castleton and not Yukon?

It does? I could've sworn it ran out of Yukon.

In any case, Castleton makes sense to layup during the midday (due to its proximity to the Bayonne Bridge), but Yukon makes sense to store them overnight, because it is the closest depot to Richmond Avenue/Hylan Blvd.

@EE: I looked on Google Transit, and this looks like a logical way to access the station from the Bayonne Bridge:

1) Take the Kennedy Blvd exit toward County Route 501

2) Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Kennedy Blvd N and merge onto W 7th St

3) Turn left at Avenue C

It does? I could've sworn it ran out of Yukon.

In any case, Castleton makes sense to layup during the midday (due to its proximity to the Bayonne Bridge), but Yukon makes sense to store them overnight, because it is the closest depot to Richmond Avenue/Hylan Blvd.

And apparently it is running out of Yukon, but I thought originally it ran out of Castleton. There was talk however of it being transferred to Castleton.

I also brought up this question a couple of times.

They should cut service back to 8th Street but at the same time, beef up service to run every 30-60 minutes. The way I look at it, it's a new way to travel between New Jersey and Staten Island and as long as the HBLR is running, the S89 should be too!

The only issue about 24/7 service is that the S89 is a limited and may not carry as much ridership as other routes but it seems entirely necessary at least for network coverage. Besides if the HBLR was to be extended to SI, it would be making almost the same stops as the S89 anyway.

And the S89 is 100% out of Yukon, because when the S89 isn't running those USDOT buses are used on the other Yukon routes.

I also brought up this question a couple of times.

They should cut service back to 8th Street but at the same time, beef up service to run every 30-60 minutes. The way I look at it, it's a new way to travel between New Jersey and Staten Island and as long as the HBLR is running, the S89 should be too!

The only issue about 24/7 service is that the S89 is a limited and may not carry as much ridership as other routes but it seems entirely necessary at least for network coverage. Besides if the HBLR was to be extended to SI, it would be making almost the same stops as the S89 anyway.

And the S89 is 100% out of Yukon, because when the S89 isn't running those USDOT buses are used on the other Yukon routes.

First before it expands to Saturday or even full time 7 day a week service the (S89)should expand and run every 30-60 minutes (during midday hours)and operate all day weekdays until at least 10pm.

I haven't really been following the S89, but my understanding is that it has been successful, with a few gripes, one being that rush hour service ends too early, particularly in the evening and that buses at times leave early for those trying to catch it from the light rail.

I did just take a look at the schedule... Why do they have rush hour service in both directions? Wouldn't that be a sign that the line is used and thus as you two have argued should be expanded?

I haven't really been following the S89, but my understanding is that it has been successful, with a few gripes, one being that rush hour service ends too early, particularly in the evening and that buses at times leave early for those trying to catch it from the light rail.

I did just take a look at the schedule... Why do they have rush hour service in both directions? Wouldn't that be a sign that the line is used and thus as you two have argued should be expanded?

A few things:

1) It started out running both directions during rush hours. I don't know whether that is because they felt the demand would be there or because those buses would have to go back to SI anyway.

2) I can't really see too much demand for limited-stop service on Richmond Avenue off-peak (and I live near the S89, so I know what I'm talking about). Maybe the route can run from Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue to Bayonne off-peak, with 30-40 minute headways (it takes about 15 minutes to get to Bayonne from Forest Avenue).

The S93 only had 3-4 runs in both directions when it first began so hopefully the S89 will get the same treatment eventually.

The S93 started out with the 3 runs in the AM towards SI and 3 runs in the PM towards Brooklyn. Gradually, they added more service and then expanded to reverse-peak service. The S89 already started out with the reverse-peak service.

That's only because the S89 is also the S59 limited in a way. All this past week the S89s were actually pretty crowded with holiday shoppers and what not. They need a stop for the S89 that's closer to the mall though.

But I agree, the local stops on Richmond Ave are alot busier. That's why I brought up that whole every other bus goes to Port Richmond or Bayonne split for the S59 awhile back for the times outside of rush hours and weekends. 8th St HBLR is only a 5-10 minute drive from Forest/Richmond and to make up for the minor loss of S59 service on Port Richmond Ave, they could run 5 buses an hour on the S44 instead of the usual 4.

That's only because the S89 is also the S59 limited in a way. All this past week the S89s were actually pretty crowded with holiday shoppers and what not. They need a stop for the S89 that's closer to the mall though.

But I agree, the local stops on Richmond Ave are alot busier. That's why I brought up that whole every other bus goes to Port Richmond or Bayonne split for the S59 awhile back for the times outside of rush hours and weekends. 8th St HBLR is only a 5-10 minute drive from Forest/Richmond and to make up for the minor loss of S59 service on Port Richmond Ave, they could run 5 buses an hour on the S44 instead of the usual 4.

What I meant was that ridership along Richmond Avenue isn't all that high. The S44 and S59 get decent usage, but you'll never see more than a few people standing during the midday. That's why I suggested that, for network coverage, the S89 run only between Forest Avenue and Bayonne.

Archived