Christmas Blizzard of 2010: Passengers trapped for hours on A-train disabled in record snowstorm

Harry

Some 500 weary and frustrated straphangers have been stuck on a disabled A train in Queens for six hours after the blizzard sapped power to the third rail.

"This train is completely dead," the conductor announced at one point.

The Manhattan-bound subway, filled with passengers from Kennedy Airport who already had waited hours for flights that were ultimately canceled, came to an abrupt halt between the Aqueduct and Rockaway Blvd. stations. The train has since been moved to Aqueduct station, but the passengers have not been let out despite the desperate need for bathrooms, water and food.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/27/2010-12-27_christmas_blizzard_of_2010_passengers_trapped_for_hours_on_atrain_disabled_in_re.html#ixzz19JjqiOFc

post-1-133288582557_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582557_thumb.jpg

Some 500 weary and frustrated straphangers have been stuck on a disabled A train in Queens for six hours after the blizzard sapped power to the third rail.

"This train is completely dead," the conductor announced at one point.

The Manhattan-bound subway, filled with passengers from Kennedy Airport who already had waited hours for flights that were ultimately canceled, came to an abrupt halt between the Aqueduct and Rockaway Blvd. stations. The train has since been moved to Aqueduct station, but the passengers have not been let out despite the desperate need for bathrooms, water and food.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/27/2010-12-27_christmas_blizzard_of_2010_passengers_trapped_for_hours_on_atrain_disabled_in_re.html#ixzz19JjqiOFc

The black guy with the blue coat looks like he's ready to punch somebody out... lol

This is what they did to us during the big blizzard of Jan. 2005. They try to keep the passenger trains running through "the flats", so they can say "we kept the trains running", and they stick you in between all the deicers, snowsweepers, etc. which are also getting stuck. It takes hours just to get from Broad Channel to Euclid alone!

I had been saying something like this could have happened, but that time, it didn't.

I noticed then that the roads were more passible, so they would have been better off diverted to the buses.

This is what they did to us during the big blizzard of Jan. 2005. They try to keep the passenger trains running through "the flats", so they can say "we kept the trains running", and they stick you in between all the deicers, snowsweepers, etc. which are also getting stuck. It takes hours just to get from Broad Channel to Euclid alone!

I had been saying something like this could have happened, but that time, it didn't.

I noticed then that the roads were more passible, so they would have been better off diverted to the buses.

Do you get paid for the unexpected extra hours?

Because of Christmas was on Saturday, I mistakenly go out on Blizzard thinking Sunday was Saturday, and I left house without Snow Boot because in morning, it was sunny, and by the time my friend at MET told me, it was snow today, after I ate my lunch at Cafeteria, stop at at Nurse Station (Due to budge issue, Metropolitan Museum's Nurse Station will be shutter Dec 31st), it was Weekend worker's last day), then went to M15 SBS to 126th St Depot to say Merry X-Mas and M15 SBS made it to last Vintage (M) to Rocfkeller center at 16:01.

After I took Vintage (M), took (F) to Roosevelt Av.

Since my body is small and I might blown out by the window, so I took Q33 to Central Terminal and took next Q72 bus home safe way.

I think even I would have just left the train in that situation.

The train was at N. Conduit, it might as well have been in the middle of the flats. I think even I would have stayed on the train since walking to Rockaway Blvd would have been out of the question.

From North Conduit you could potentially schlep to Howard Beach or Aqueduct. Depends on how much snow was on the ground and how adventurous i'd be feeling.

I'm always down for some self evacuations but aqueduct is just as bad and Howard Beach is the wrong direction. If I made it to the Blvd, I could then get to Euclid. But I wasn't there, I was nice and warm in my bed.

Archived