Christmas Blizzard of 2010: Passengers trapped for hours on A-train disabled in record snowstorm

Harry

And where were the people going to go? If their destination was close by, then that would be all good, but if it wasn't, those passengers would be basically stuck since buses weren't really running and roads were impassible. At least on the train, they were out of the elements.

In that particular situation you would not discharge passengers and leave them to face the elements, period. There was no other transportation running in that location at the time. Even on a clear, warm, July afternoon, your only option is a walk to a bus line. Cabs are not an option at that location in the best of times and on a snowy night with bus transportation curtailed you'd be SOL. The right call was made.

The Aqueduct train station is pretty big. They could have waited for friends or cabs.. At 1AM The snow wasnt that bad at that point where people couldnt drive on the roads.

apparently you weren't awake at 1am on monday morning because the snow, was indeed, THAT bad. by then, most of the snow had already fallen. the wind made it even worse reducing visibility a great deal. i tried to get a cab in flushing and car services were not even sending cars out.

Anyone attempting self evac out their in Jamaica bay in that storm would have been Owned by Mother Nature.

Totally, wind could easily gusty to 50-60 mph knocking them off balance on the trestle & into the water then they are gone. If not blown off the trestle, they woulda been frozen from all the snow and wind chill of zero degrees.

- A

Well,this is not the 1st but this was probably the 1st blizzard some of us experienced.I'm sure a lot of us teens here probably dont remember the blizzard of 1996.My memory goes as far back as '97 or '98.Ya know this is the 1st Blizzard I've experienced myself.And news cast are hyping this up giving us info and we are amused.Early in the week no one expected this it kind of surprised us b\c the Blizzard warnings were Friday if it were Monday or Tuesday I'm sure millions of people would had planned ahead or canceled.

The storm of 96 was not a true blizzard, it was just really, really heavy snowfall. This post xmas 2010 storm was an actual textbook blizzard, lots of snow sure, but blowing snow, and gusts up to and exceeding 50 mph. The snow was very fine and powdery too, so removal became impossible as it would just drift across again.

It is a true testament to the people who thought these systems out, and those that kept it running as long as possible throughout the storm that stuff in the affected region was able to operate at all. sure there may have been delays and temporary suspensions etc, but it could have been handled far worse. During the height of the storm only a few things were suspended and it was due to snow blowing over trip cocks and switches and far too much accumulation for them to get through, the trains themselves, and the power systems that keep things moving were fine. LIRR was not prepared at all, but at least suspend service vs have 20 trains full of people stuck with no heat or lights.

NJ transit, PATH, Amtrak, MNRR, nycta subway, SEPTA, all did a great job in keeping things running as long as they could. It's thanks to the transit/railroad workers that the entire region didn't come to a complete standstill.

- A

The storm of 96 was not a true blizzard, it was just really, really heavy snowfall. This post xmas 2010 storm was an actual textbook blizzard, lots of snow sure, but blowing snow, and gusts up to and exceeding 50 mph. The snow was very fine and powdery too, so removal became impossible as it would just drift across again.

It is a true testament to the people who thought these systems out, and those that kept it running as long as possible throughout the storm that stuff in the affected region was able to operate at all. sure there may have been delays and temporary suspensions etc, but it could have been handled far worse. During the height of the storm only a few things were suspended and it was due to snow blowing over trip cocks and switches and far too much accumulation for them to get through, the trains themselves, and the power systems that keep things moving were fine. LIRR was not prepared at all, but at least suspend service vs have 20 trains full of people stuck with no heat or lights.

NJ transit, PATH, Amtrak, MNRR, nycta subway, SEPTA, all did a great job in keeping things running as long as they could. It's thanks to the transit/railroad workers that the entire region didn't come to a complete standstill.

- A

Generally I agree with most of your statement Metsfan. I still felt that for a few hours at height of blizzard all bus service in NYC should have been suspended. Also all service to outdoor aka 'elvated' stations should also been put on hold as well.

At 1AM The snow wasnt that bad at that point where people couldnt drive on the roads.

No it was the WIND that made it bad i should know i was driving in it, took me almost an hr which is a 15 minute drive for me.

Could not see a effing thing...

Archived