Teenager Struck By Train, Hospitalized In Delaware County

mark1447

So yeah, me, N-Trizz and a few others were in Philly on the 29th of Dec and while trying to grab SEPTA route 13 Trolly, Part time service on the 13 and also the 11 got suspended for a bit after we started hearing people saying that someone got hit by a trolly, which was false as we checked it was a CSX Freight train.

What a terrible accident:tdown:

Took some photos of the incident... CBS - 3 Philadelphia pops in...

Of course i and 2 others get shown in the news but only our backs lol..

But heres the news:

DARBY, Pa. (CBS) – A 14-year-old boy from Darby, Delaware County is recovering at the hospital after being clipped by a freight train Wednesday evening.

The gate was down at the intersection of Main and North 6th streets, and the lights were flashing red, when a freight train was crossing, but Darby Police say two brothers ignored the gate and ran across the tracks as eyewitnesses looked on.

“They tried to beat the train and could not make it,” said the onlooker. “I tell kids all the time, I tell them ‘don’t do that’ they don’t know how fast the train is coming.”

The younger brother made it across the tracks, but his 14-year old brother, Tiyeeh Smith, was clipped by the train.

“He has shoulder and buttocks pain according to the paramedics he is in pretty good condition, we don’t expect him not to make it,” said Darby Police Chief Robert Smythe.

The younger brother was so scared when he saw his older brother get clipped by the train that he ran home.

Police say the train engineer did not do anything wrong.

“The kids were the ones that were at fault. The gate was down, the whistle sounded, everything was fine they darted in front of the train,” said the chief, who urged that this incident be a warning to everyone in the area about trying to beat a train. “People don’t realize this train is 7,000 feet long you are not going to beat it. This boy was very, very fortunate.”

Smith was taken to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital where he is recovering from non-life threatening injuries.

a Video here:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2010/12/29/young-man-struck-by-train-hospitalized-in-delaware-county/

Photos I took of the incident :

2roooba.jpg

1rr8mw.jpg

11tvcpd.jpg

16jlwuu.jpg

Look at that train, it must have been going a good 45 mph though there, kid is lucky he didn't get hit full on or he'd be taken to the hospital via a box of tissues.

I always think people are nuts for going around the gates at crossings, the gates come down, you hear a horn, they think "gee i dont want to be stuck here" vs "gee i should wait" because thats why the gates come down. Safety first 2nd 3rd 4th 5th, on time for dinner, if you wanna get to dinner respect the train & obey the crossing guard.

- A

Archived