sketchup Subway Station

Strain

Um if someone gives me there email can they help me put my Subway Station into TRS2006 for me because the pro version of sketchup is way to expensive for my mom and I promise you won't be disappointed in the results of the station and it's all my first time with this and It looks really nice. So can i please get some help.

Um if someone gives me there email can they help me put my Subway Station into TRS2006 for me because the pro version of sketchup is way to expensive for my mom and I promise you won't be disappointed in the results of the station and it's all my first time with this and It looks really nice. So can i please get some help.

What do you need help in? I got SketchUp pro and my email is melvinfeliz@monkeydroppings.com.

Getting that into Trainz is going to be quite difficult. You need either Sketchup Pro (or Sketchup and then Blender or other program that can convert files from .dae to .3ds) and then the Trainz Asset Creation Studio (which requires GMax to operate) to create the mesh and any animations you want. I don't know whether any texturing done in Sketchup will stick in GMax because I have barely any idea how to use it.

If you plan to use Sketchup Pro, you need to open the model;

Go to File-->Export.

Select the .3ds option

Type in a file name and click Export.

Import your .3ds into GMax.

For some reason the GMax I have crashes when I try to import .3ds files created by Sketchup Pro, so you may need another program that can import and export 3DS files to make it legible to GMax.

If you plan to use the free version, you need to get Blender or another program capable of reading both .dae files and .3ds files in addtion to the Asset Creation Studio. Again, open the model;

Go to File-->Export.

Select the .kmz option

Type in a file name and click Export.

Go to the folder in which you saved the .kmz file.

Rename it to .zip and open it.

Inside there will be a file (model name).dae This is what you want.

Open the intermediary program and import the .dae file.

Once the .dae is open and it is clearly not defective or damaged, export it as a .3ds and open the .3ds in GMax.

Good luck and tell me if you have any success! I have some models of my own in Sketchup that I've wanted to put into Trainz for some time but I haven't been able to.

OK; the steps I posted above are fine on paper, but for whatever reason whenever I try to import a Sketchup Pro-exported .3ds into GMax it crashes. I've tried a number of other programs (Blender, MeshLab, Wings3D) to read and write .3ds files but half the time those crash as well. I'll let you know if I find a method that works. In the meantime I recommend asking BStyles: he apparently has put a lot of Sketchup-based stuff on the DLS.

• 2 months later...
OK; the steps I posted above are fine on paper, but for whatever reason whenever I try to import a Sketchup Pro-exported .3ds into GMax it crashes. I've tried a number of other programs (Blender, MeshLab, Wings3D) to read and write .3ds files but half the time those crash as well. I'll let you know if I find a method that works. In the meantime I recommend asking BStyles: he apparently has put a lot of Sketchup-based stuff on the DLS.

Are you using normal GMax or the Trainz Asset Creation Studio? I've noticed if you import SUP directly into normal GMax it does indeed crash, however not with the Trainz ACS.

So, maybe try re-installing GMax and/or Trainz ACS and see what happens?

Btw, in response to your other post, textures done in SUP do export with the .3ds file. It makes a separate picture file for all of the textures you use (whether they're in-program colors or your own photo textures). BStyles and I have differing opinions on this, but I try to get rid of all the edges in my models before exporting (using ctrl+ the eraser tool), b/c I've had problems with textures not showing up because of one stupid little line/edge getting in the way. And if you want to get those edges "back", simply do edit>show hidden geometry and it'll put the edges back in dotted line form.

Hope that helps everyone. And fyi, maybe it's just my computer, but ModelConverterX, which I praised in another thread--didn't work well for me as I had hoped. (This was before I got SUP)

-A :cool:

hey strain nice job on that station um i wanted to know im going to start making subway stations for trainz using sketchup and i wanted to know. do i make the stations the length in real life or do it any size i want. because i got everything i need but i dont want to make a mistake. so do it to scale or any size?:confused:

hey strain nice job on that station um i wanted to know im going to start making subway stations for trainz using sketchup and i wanted to know. do i make the stations the length in real life or do it any size i want. because i got everything i need but i dont want to make a mistake. so do it to scale or any size?:confused:

They need to be the length they are in real life.

Here are a few pointers that should help you get your station out correctly.

-Change the unit system to meters. I know what you're thinking, "we're Americans and we use the imperial system!" Well yeah, true, but as a long time developer for BVE and OpenBVE, Japanese and British Train Sims, it has led me to like the metric system very much.

-Using the metric system, BMT/IND stations should be 200 meters long.

-Eastern BMT(J, M, Z, L)/IRT stations should be 175 feet long.

Once you get all of that everything else should fall into place.

Yes Bstyles is right i use meters for everything its much better.

And 3rd Avenue El yes i try to make everything current but if your a beginner i say just go with what you think is right and itll be fine the way it is.

Archived