Amtrak Proposes a High-Speed Train

Forest Glen

The Alinement they proposed is stupid , i rather have them invest in an Intercity / HSR network in the NE and not one boondoggle of a line.

How would you propose the line be routed? Minimum curve radius is 3 miles, so that's why it's so elongated. It covers most cities anyway. (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington). While I agree it really should cover New Haven, it's location means more curves in populated areas which means more cost. Hartford will need to be a tradeoff.

I like this a lot; the only question is going to be whether we can actually get this done by 2040. I really hope so because 3+ hours from New York to Boston is too long any way you look at it. I also agree with the alignment chosen north of NYC; intermediate travelers on the NEC who currently take Acela would still be able to take a variation of Acela under this plan, known as the "Shoreline Express" and this would allow for partial high-speed service via the Keystone Corridor from Pennsylvania to Boston. In addition, having HSR stops in towns such as Hartford and Danbury, which are in a position to be developed further but are a pain to get in and out of. From a purely provincial standpoint, if we have HSR in and out of Danbury and Waterbury, these stations become major hubs and for some on the the branch stations it would be faster to take Metro-North up to Danbury or Waterbury and then catch HSR into Manhattan. This should mean that Metro-North would stop considering service cuts out there and just might support service increases. Finally, I would love to see a GCT-NYP rail connection like this proposes.

When i look at this plan, the right of way thru Westchester County and southern CT reminds me of what the NYWB once was and was supposed to be. From my recollection the NYWB was supposed to be an all electric high speed line that eventually reached Boston. The line only made it to White Plains. But the idea was sound. I believe a four track Passenger-Only line should be constructed from New York as far as Hartford. Then the rest of the line two tracks. It's long over due especially since idea has been around since the early 1900's.

Archived