Comments on NYCT/MTAB/LIB Merger

East New York

I just wanted to know what everone was thinking about the eminent merger of NYCT, MTA Bus, and LI Bus. At this point in time it is definitely going to happen. The only question is when, and what it will mean for this newly formed MTA DOB.

I personally think it will provide better service for MTAB, and LIB customers. It will be interesting to see how the divisions will be divided up. The only thing I think I will not like is if all the buses become MTA Bus. But I guess the only way to merge them all under one name is for it become MTA Bus. It can't possibly be New York City Transit. With this being said, I guess that means Bee-Line will most likely one day become MTA as well. There goes the diversity of buses in the NY Metro area!!

I just wanted to know what everone was thinking about the eminent merger of NYCT, MTA Bus, and LI Bus. At this point in time it is definitely going to happen. The only question is when, and what it will mean for this newly formed MTA DOB.

I personally think it will provide better service for MTAB, and LIB customers. It will be interesting to see how the divisions will be divided up. The only thing I think I will not like is if all the buses become MTA Bus. But I guess the only way to merge them all under one name is for it become MTA Bus. It can't possibly be New York City Transit. With this being said, I guess that means Bee-Line will most likely one day become MTA as well. There goes the diversity of buses in the NY Metro area!!

I already spoke to some Liberty lines drivers, and that's the word going around their depot(s). Possibly in the next 8 months-year, they might become part of MTA.

The only thing I think I will not like is if all the buses become MTA Bus.
Actually I love MTA Bus. :cool:

I am VERY sure Liberty Lines will turn into MTA too, ever since I first took it and got a MTA Transfer when I paid my fare. I was like WTF? At first I thought the MetroCard thing was for money but I guess it's not...

Actually I love MTA Bus. :cool:

I am VERY sure Liberty Lines will turn into MTA too, ever since I first took it and got a MTA Transfer when I paid my fare. I was like WTF? At first I thought the MetroCard thing was for money but I guess it's not...

What????!!!! :eek: An MTA transfer????!!! I still have never been on any Bee-Line buses. Now don't get me wrong, I like MTA Bus too, but I will miss seeing New York City Transit titles on the buses.

What????!!!! :eek: An MTA transfer????!!! I still have never been on any Bee-Line buses. Now don't get me wrong, I like MTA Bus too, but I will miss seeing New York City Transit titles on the buses.
Yup, they also raised the fare to $2 like MTA, I paid $1.75 (old fare) and then the driver said put another quarter in, then a white and blue card came out, and I asked the driver if MTA was taking over, he said "Don't they always?". The good thing is school kids usually don't take the W60/61/62 since School Passes don't work, only MTA Transfer and Gold MetroCards. :P

Yup, they also raised the fare to $2 like MTA, I paid $1.75 (old fare) and then the driver said put another quarter in, then a white and blue card came out, and I asked the driver if MTA was taking over, he said "Don't they always?". The good thing is school kids usually don't take the W60/61/62 since School Passes don't work, only MTA Transfer and Gold MetroCards. :P

I guess that's it then! MTA has already got to be like the largest transit agency in the world!

I believe it will all happen. First, LIB, then Bee-Line, then putting NYCT and MTA Bus together as one. It'll be a couple of years though.

I think this is something the MTA has been visioning for a long time, especially when they took over the PBLs.

I believe it will all happen. First, LIB, then Bee-Line, then putting NYCT and MTA Bus together as one. It'll be a couple of years though.

I think this is something the MTA has been visioning for a long time, especially when they took over the PBLs.

To be 100% truthful with you, I don't think it will happen any time soon either. I think it will happen with the arrival of the new Orion VII NG's. But thats only an off the wall guess. And it doesn't look like they will be getting any until late 2009.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I am at the depot....talk to 50 guys and get 50 different answers on anything.....from the merger....to the contract talks....to the 8hr rule on report time....we only sit for 4hrs then we get to go home and get paid for 8:15....now I hear come summer we will have to sit for 8hrs.....it is never ending I tell you....so I have taken this wait and see approach....all I know is it would be nice to make the same pay for doing the same job.....parity....and thats another topic...50 guys....50 different answers.....:eek:

The new "company" will be Mta Regional Bus.

Ooooooo that sounds nice it would be cool if this bus company went to CT and westchester but with a base 5:00$ fare. Not that disnace based bull that the "other" transit company on the other side of the hudson has. This bus company will most likely use MCI D4500 buses with an orion VIII here and there. And it would also be cool if it went to yonkers and albany with the base 5:00$ fare. And it would be cool if they DIDNT use orion VIII their local routes. It would be better if they used that bus that was testing in queens last summer....

Ooooooo that sounds nice it would be cool if this bus company went to CT and westchester but with a base 5:00$ fare. Not that disnace based bull that the "other" transit company on the other side of the hudson has. This bus company will most likely use MCI D4500 buses with an orion VIII here and there. And it would also be cool if it went to yonkers and albany with the base 5:00$ fare. And it would be cool if they DIDNT use orion VIII their local routes. It would be better if they used that bus that was testing in queens last summer....

Now what would this Orion VIII look like??

Uh, how about you learn as to why such "other" company on the other side of the Hudson has such a distance based, according to you, "bull". Same can be said about that comment of yours.

Keep in mind, NJT is a STATE WIDE agency, much much bigger than the MTA, with different demands. NJT and the MTA are incomparable in many ways. Now, fare by zone has its problems, but it works out well for NJT in the end. Yes, confusing, a pain at times, but you know, it makes people learn and actually do some research. Base fare can't work in NJ, because the base fare would be very high, probably starting from 3 bucks or more. Now, what you have there, people over paying for their travels. You got any better ideas?

BTW, theres alway bus service to Yonkers and in Yonkers.....

To Albany is a different thing, but your welcomed to take Greyhound or the train.....

The new "company" will be Mta Regional Bus.

Thanks for giving me a name :)

But anyway I think it a bad idea for them to Merger,back in years were city had 8 private bus company there was alot of verities of buses with different colors ,but ever since the (MTA) took over its never been same, all I see is !!blue white ,blue white, blue white!!every were, I don't want the bee line's mascot cover with the (MTA) sticker in it face.:(

Thanks for giving me a name :)

But anyway I think it a bad idea for them to Merger,back in years were city had 8 private bus company there was alot of verities of buses with different colors ,but ever since the (MTA) took over its never been same, all I see is !!blue white ,blue white, blue white!!every were, I don't want the bee line's mascot cover with the (MTA) sticker in it face.:(

I would be satisfied it if they painted 10-20 buses from each ex-private line in the original colors. If the just have to have the (MTA) logo somewhere it should be where the depot sticker is.

• 1 month later...
So the orange stripe on the LI Buses will soon be a thing of the past. MTA has begun painting The Orion fleet in the typical MTA blue and white. I wanted to see the O7 NG's in original LIB colors, but that won't happen now...

Sadly. And the first LIB victim was 193.

Archived