NBA, NHL and other sports thread-Winter/Spring 2011

Shortline Bus

It's not a question of distance... Look at Calgary and Edmonton and look at the rivalry between the two... It's a question of these teams already having a market in the past and a question of where else the NHL can expand. The way I see it, Winnipeg, Hamilton (as you mentioned), Québec and Hartford would be the next spots with possibilities of getting a team. You forget about the old rivalry between Montréal and Québec...

Did you read my comments buddy? In case of Hartford distance does matter because if they restart a team there, '4' clubs only '2' hours from the State Captial of Ct. would not be very happy losing money. i.e Bruins, Rangers, Isles and Devils. As it is now, the NHL is not doing well with '6' teams on the I-95 Northeast coordior between Boston, Metro NYC, Philly and Washington, DC. Not to mention Hartford just was on the brink of bankruptcy.

On other hand in the provience of Quebec, there currently '1' team w/ Montreal. That much easier to accomdate for returning to Quebec City then '4' clubs Hartford must work with.:eek: The other old WHA/NHL clubs that left could get other NHL teams. Hartford for reasons listed IMO never.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you read my comments buddy? In case of Hartford distance does matter because if they restart a team there, '4' clubs only '2' hours from the State Captial of Ct. would not be very happy losing money. i.e Bruins, Rangers, Isles and Devils. As it is now, the NHL is not doing well with '6' teams on the I-95 Northeast coordior between Boston, Metro NYC, Philly and Washington, DC. Not to mention Hartford just was on the brink of bankruptcy.

On other hand in the provience of Quebec, there currently '1' team w/ Montreal. That much easier to accomdate for returning to Quebec City then '4' clubs Hartford must work with.:eek: The other old WHA/NHL clubs that left could get other NHL teams. Hartford for reasons listed IMO never.

The only reason Hartford won't get a team is if they don't want one and can't put up funds to build an arena. Did you see what happened with Minnesota??

These days it's all about new arenas and revenues. If the NHL wants to expand and can't expand to other markets, it would make sense to put a expansion club back in Hartford. Look at the rivalries between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia... :cool:

Also, you forget about the Ottawa Senators...

There is a thing w/the Islanders, sort of this Long Island pride that exists so of course folks from the boroughs wouldn't be Islander fans, just like there's a thing or this difference between Long Islanders and New Yorkers...

The NHL isn't really going to convert folks... You either like the sport or you don't. They're never going to be like the NFL or NBA because hockey is a rich sport in that those who play it generally have the means to do so. To play basketball, all you need is a basketball, maybe $20.00 for one or whatever they cost which isn't much. When I played, a hockey stick alone would cost at a minimum $30 - 40 and then they go up for the graphites, etc., plus shin pads, and skates and new wheels, etc. and those things need to replaced quite frequently so you're talking about a good $200.00 at least a month and that's just for street hockey. If you play ice hockey, you're paying for the equipment, but most importantly ice time, which is very pricey.

Hockey is like a religion in Canada and has a huge following, and it is also big in many parts of Europe. Their goal is really to expand the sport in those these markets (USA, Canada & Europe) and the sport has certainly grown since the lockout. I've been watching the sport since I was a kid, and even with some of my favourite players like Sakic retiring I am still a faithful fan.

With regards to the Red Wings, they're always good because they scout very well and always have a good mix of veterans in the mix like Lidstrom and Rafalski, but most importantly they play their system very well. Their one problem has usually been goaltending, but the thing is they're usually good enough up front and on the blue line to overcome that deficiency.

P.S. I'm saying this as a Nordiques/Avs fan who HATES the Red Wings. :mad:

hah, you don't have to tell me the relationship (or lack thereof) b/w long islanders, and the boroughs...

you also don't have to tell me how heralded hockey is in Canada....

and good point about the Red Wings.. I overlooked the fact that they always have more than a fair share of vets on their teams....

I used to be an Avs fan... but I lost interest w/ them since Sakic, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, (Patrick) Roy got old, and/or left the team....

but dude, wtf at this pile of garbage:

They're never going to be like the NFL or NBA because hockey is a rich sport in that those who play it generally have the means to do so.

the means to do so...

gtfoh.... this isn't a class/income issue....

the kids/young adults that mainly play football & basketball, don't play hockey b/c they'll get RIDICULED for it... don't tell me otherwise b/c it happened to me... the many times I've had passers-by laughing @ me as a kid, tellin me "nzzzzz don't play hockey".... Gretzky aint black, nzzzz....

it aint because they can't afford to play...

and I love how you simply say, a basketball only costs 20 dollars... going by that grand logic, I guess a football only costs 15 dollars... yeah, and the jerseys are free, and players have free reign to knock the shit out of each other w/o any type of padding or headgear whatsoever.... I guess safety isn't much of an issue in (american) football, much as it is in hockey....

You can forget about Hartford ever getting a NHL or any pro (i.e MLB NFL or NBA)team. It too close to both Boston (bruins) and NYC (Rangers, Devils and Isles).

Ditto for Quebec for the same reasons, it's damn too close (2 hour drive)from Montreal (Habs). IMO the only cities in Canada in far future (5 years or more)that might get NHL teams are Hamilton, Ontario (2nd NHL club in Toronto area)and Winnipeg either w/ a moved team from the US 'sun belt' or expansion.

ever?

you do realize today's Carolina Hurricanes WERE the Hartford Whalers.....

but yeh, when it comes to sports, the state of CT will always be referred to as Newyorkachusetts (being that sports fans of the state, are torn/split b/w NY teams & Boston teams)....

It's just friendly trash-talking. My favorite sport is baseball. There are various ways to score, as well as towering home runs and spectacular defensive plays. My second favorite sport is basketball. Watch Blake Griffin on ESPN and you'll see why. Football is another sport I like. It is another high-speed, adrenaline-inducing sport.

Hockey...is a bunch of European guys with names no one can pronounce hitting a puck back and forth. The only exciting thing are the fights. Since that's the only way the NHL makes money, they allow the fights (unlike other sports).

this is probably the funniest post I've ever seen out of you... and I'm not being sarcastic or facetious with that...

good luck pronouncing these (last) names (without cheating)....

Miroslav Satan

Dustin Byfuglien

Jonathan Toews

anyway, in terms of playing, I favor football, over hockey, over baseball, over basketball (I've always found playing basketball, boring)... I'm not a dribblehead, more of a sharpshooter... the dribbleheads/chucks I'd have on my teams (3 on 3, 4 on 4, 5 on 5), would take the fun out of it for me....

in terms of watching, I favor football, over basketball, over hockey, over baseball.... problem I have w/ watching baseball is, you really have to watch a team (a pitcher) unravel, before you start to see the real fireworks/offensive explosion in innings.... and you don't know when, or if it'll happen...

^^ saying that differently, I'd rather watch a 0-0 hockey or football game, before I watch a 0-0 baseball game....

...it's why I took a liking to, and eventually started following the Yankees... the chance of an offensive explosion happening, is MUCH higher, over watching most teams/games in the league....

far as hockey goes, it's not even about the fighting anymore... Bettman & company implemented rules to make the game more offensive (which has been successful)... for me:

- watching a goalie (or another player) get deked is equivalent to watching someone's ankle's get broken (crossover) in 'ball....

- watching a well timed & executed one timer is equivalent to watching two of the best infielders in the game, pull off a double-play... both of which, are more exciting than an alley-oop (which I always thought was overrated)...

- watching a shootout (in hockey)... well, there's nothin in sports for me, that can compare to the excitement of that... the HR derby probably comes the closest, and that only happens once a year....

Home runs are exciting, but that's not the only facet of baseball. I'm not even a Mets fan, but when Endy Chavez made that brilliant defensive play in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS (leaping over the fence, catching the ball, and throwing the runner out at 1st) I was excited. Of course, the Mets eventually lost that game when Aaron Heilman imploded. I will admit that a Pirates-Padres game will put me to sleep, but every Yankees-Red Sox game is a slugfest.

Basketball was in a lull for a while, but Blake Griffen, the Miami superteam, and Amare Stoudemire revived my interest. Griffen always comes up with new ways to give people facials. There are about 4 teams with a legitimate shot of winning the championship.

Football has always been exciting. I still remember the Giants vs. Patriots Super Bowl, and that catch David Tyree made. Even in the Saints-Seahawks game, Marshawn Lynch ran past 6 defenders for a 67 yard TD.

What's exciting about hockey? A guy deliberately body checking another guy, and the refs letting them fight until one guy has a concussion? Hitting a puck back and forth?

...and hitting & fighting isn't the only facet of hockey.

you don't have to like the sport, but to keep repeating the same entities of the sport b/c it's all you know about...

you say it's friendly shit talkin, I call it ignorance...

anyway, your average baseball game is far more boring to watch than your average hockey game....

The excitement of baseball will always center around the longball... you take the HR derby out of the all star festivities, and watch ratings for the all-star game absolutely plummet.... Selig knows this... why do you think they (heavily) advertise the HR derby over the actual all star game....

hah, you don't have to tell me the relationship (or lack thereof) b/w long islanders, and the boroughs...

you also don't have to tell me how heralded hockey is in Canada....

and good point about the Red Wings.. I overlooked the fact that they always have more than a fair share of vets on their teams....

I used to be an Avs fan... but I lost interest w/ them since Sakic, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, (Patrick) Roy got old, and/or left the team....

but dude, wtf at this pile of garbage:

the means to do so...

gtfoh.... this isn't a class/income issue....

the kids/young adults that mainly play football & basketball, don't play hockey b/c they'll get RIDICULED for it... don't tell me otherwise b/c it happened to me... the many times I've had passers-by laughing @ me as a kid, tellin me "nzzzzz don't play hockey".... Gretzky aint black, nzzzz....

it aint because they can't afford to play...

and I love how you simply say, a basketball only costs 20 dollars... going by that grand logic, I guess a football only costs 15 dollars... yeah, and the jerseys are free, and players have free reign to knock the shit out of each other w/o any type of padding or headgear whatsoever.... I guess safety isn't much of an issue in (american) football, much as it is in hockey....

Sure it is partially a money thing and also a cultural thing... My point wasn't to exclude the additional costs for joining a team, BUT to point out that if you just wanted to **** around and play unorganized basketball, you could buy a basketball and go to the part and shoot some hoops. When I played roller hockey I needed at least two sticks ($30 - 40 a piece,) skates ($250 and up including the wheels assuming that I had new wheels, otherwise that would be about $70), shin guards ($40 - 50) and a puck $5.00 (we usually used black tape as pucks). When I played with the guys from Gerritsen Beach they'd bring over nets to the park there on Nostrand and Ave Z instead of using the garbage cans, so that's an additional cost.

Culturally speaking, no blacks here in the states don't really play hockey as opposed to blacks in Canada and in Canada, usually the ones that do are mixed so they don't get much slack. Besides everybody in Canada plays hockey anyway so culture isn't as important. As far as you getting slack because of you being black, I got slack because I'm 6'4", so I was expected to play basketball. I didn't get much slack for my background though. I'm mixed of mainly Italian background, but I look more hispanic. :cool:

P.S. The Avs will be Stanley Cup contenders soon... They're rebuilt quickly with a good mix of young talent and some veterans

Sure it is partially a money thing and also a cultural thing... My point wasn't to exclude the additional costs for joining a team, BUT to point out that if you just wanted to **** around and play unorganized basketball, you could buy a basketball and go to the part and shoot some hoops. When I played roller hockey I needed at least two sticks ($30 - 40 a piece,) skates ($250 and up including the wheels assuming that I had new wheels, otherwise that would be about $70), shin guards ($40 - 50) and a puck $5.00 (we usually used black tape as pucks). When I played with the guys from Gerritsen Beach they'd bring over nets to the park there on Nostrand and Ave Z instead of using the garbage cans, so that's an additional cost.

Culturally speaking, no blacks here in the states don't really play hockey as opposed to blacks in Canada and in Canada, usually the ones that do are mixed so they don't get much slack. Besides everybody in Canada plays hockey anyway so culture isn't as important. As far as you getting slack because of you being black, I got slack because I'm 6'4", so I was expected to play basketball. I didn't get much slack for my background though. I'm mixed of mainly Italian background, but I look more hispanic. :cool:

FG states that only Whites from Canada and Europe are in the NHL. Not true are we forgoting about multi-time NHL All Star Jarome Iginla the first Black to be Captian of a Stanley Cup Finalist team in the Flames in 2004.

Not to mention Scott Gomez the first Latino born in Alaska to be a member of a Stanley Cup Winning team with the Devils in 2000.

Granted most of the people of 'color' in NHL i.e Black/Hispanic are from Canada.

...and hitting & fighting isn't the only facet of hockey.

you don't have to like the sport, but to keep repeating the same entities of the sport b/c it's all you know about...

you say it's friendly shit talkin, I call it ignorance...

anyway, your average baseball game is far more boring to watch than your average hockey game....

The excitement of baseball will always center around the longball... you take the HR derby out of the all star festivities, and watch ratings for the all-star game absolutely plummet.... Selig knows this... why do you think they (heavily) advertise the HR derby over the actual all star game....

Very ignorant comment... Maybe you'd see that there's more to the game than fighting if you opened yourself a bit and sat down and watched the game. The game is unique in and of itself because of the sheer speed at which everything is done. If you watch for a while you will see that there are set plays just like football or basketball, but again everything is done much quicker. I love the speed of the game, the shifts of momentum throughout the game and the fact that there aren't a thousand time outs and pauses like other sports (i.e. baseball). The physical hits and the fighting are also strategic. They don't just fight or hit each other just because. Sometimes one guy is pissed off and yeah he'll fight, but a lot of times there are guys designated as fighters to protect the team's star players and also to send a message to the other team that rough stuff won't be tolerated.

It also serves as a momentum changer, so it has a purpose. :cool:

FG states that only Whites from Canada and Europe are in the NHL. Not true are we forgoting about multi-time NHL All Star Jarome Iginla the first Black to be Captian of a Stanley Cup Finalist team in the Flames in 2004.

Not to mention Scott Gomez the first Latino to be a member of a Stanley Cup Winning team with the Devils in 2000.

Granted most of the people of 'color' in NHL i.e Black/Hispanic are from Canada.

He is right in that there aren't tons of pure blacks in the NHL... Most are mixed so they look more mulatto or hispanic, so maybe that's why he thinks there aren't any blacks. Nonetheless there are certainly more than 5 years ago. And guys like Mike Grier (African-American) and Jarome Iginla (biracial) have been around for quite some time. And Scotty Gomez is latino but American (Colombian and Mexican)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_players_of_black_African_descent

Back to NBA. Knicks in middle of long west coast road trip are playing the Lakers at the LA Staples Center. Lakers as of 10pm NY time lead Knicks 21-17.

PS Why is ESPN or event TNT not showing this game? Instead we stuck watching a useless Boston College 'bowl' game on ESPN. Or endless re-run of "Forest Gump' on TNT.

I like your taste in express buses. Too bad I can't say the same for sports. And I never said there were NO blacks in hockey. The good news is that Sports Center usually puts the hockey highlights at the end of the show.

That's funny because besides basketball, I'm usually up to date on all of the major sports. I used to even watch basketball, but once the greats retired it became uninteresting. When the Birds and Jordan's were playing guys had more class. The guys of today seem like thugs on the court... You could argue that w/Michael Vick too... Aka dog killer... :eek:

Back to NBA. Knicks in middle of long west coast road trip are playing the Lakers at the LA Staples Center. Lakers as of 10pm NY time lead Knicks 21-17.

PS Why is ESPN or event TNT not showing this game? Instead we stuck watching a useless Boston College 'bowl' game on ESPN. Or endless re-run of "Forest Gump' on TNT.

Let's face it, the Knicks have been a joke for years now. I know this I don't even follow basketball regularly, but I do catch highlights daily. It's only this year that they've been rather decent (so far)... To be honest, I think ESPN made a big mistake airing NBA games. It was a lot cooler to see NHL games on ESPN and ESPN2 back in the old days... I think TNT does better with the basketball games.

The New Jersey Nets' attempts to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony are "further along" than any trade scenario that has been discussed since their near acquisition of Anthony in late September, according to sources close to the negotiations.

A three-team deal involving the Detroit Pistons that would include at least 15 players -- with Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups winding up in New Jersey with Anthony -- could be completed as soon as this week, sources said.

ESPN

Let's face it, the Knicks have been a joke for years now. I know this I don't even follow basketball regularly, but I do catch highlights daily. It's only this year that they've been rather decent (so far)... To be honest, I think ESPN made a big mistake airing NBA games. It was a lot cooler to see NHL games on ESPN and ESPN2 back in the old days... I think TNT does better with the basketball games.

Other than Knicks Lead announcer Mike Breen, maybe one of the best 'play-play' announcers in America right now, the "NBA on ESPN' is a joke IMO. The biggest problem is that ESPN Producers/exces assume that most of the auidence are young adults 18-30 and knows about Hip Hop. ESPN Studio Host Stuart Scott is also a joke.

Sadly ESPN/ABC just signed I believe a 7-8 year contract extension w/ NBA Boss David Stern to be the main TV home for the NBA until around the end of the 2019-'20 NBA Finals. I do agree that TNT does a better job in the NBA than their MLB coverage.

And buddy be carefully what you wish for. ESPN is in serious talks to at least share the NHL with NBC/Versus for National TV rights in the US as well.

Rumors are that Versus would still show most of the regular season and the NHL all star game. While ESPN/ESPN 2 would show most of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and share broadcasting the Finals w/ NBC starting next season in 2011-12. This is subject to change but that is what might happen with the future of the NHL TV coverage in America.

Just some info.

Other than Knicks Lead announcer Mike Breen, maybe one of the best 'play-play' announcers in America right now, the "NBA on ESPN' is a joke IMO. The biggest problem is that ESPN Producers/exces assume that most of the auidence are young adults 18-30 and knows about Hip Hop. ESPN Studio Host Stuart Scott is also a joke.

Sadly ESPN/ABC just signed I believe a 7-8 year contract extension w/ NBA Boss David Stern to be the main TV home for the NBA until around the end of the 2019-'20 NBA Finals. I do agree that TNT does a better job in the NBA than their MLB coverage.

And buddy be carefully what you wish for. ESPN is in serious talks to at least share the NHL with NBC/Versus for National TV rights in the US as well.

Rumors are that Versus would still show most of the regular season and the NHL all star game. While ESPN/ESPN 2 would show most of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and share broadcasting the Finals w/ NBC starting next season in 2011-12. This is subject to change but that is what might happen with the future of the NHL TV coverage in America.

Just some info.

If ESPN brings back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement then I wouldn't mind that at all. Right now I get to see Bill Clement when I watch Flyer games. I don't know where Gary Thorne disappeared to, but I know he also used to announce some baseball games. I'm not wild about some of the Versus announcers and often times I find that they are just the local announcers of the teams anyway. Gary Thorne and "The Doc" are the best hockey announcers. Also, I hate the fact that Versus always does Eastern conference games. They showed the Bruins vs Lightning twice in a few weeks time! Rarely do I get to see games out West or in the Midwest on Versus. :) And finally, I get these annoying commercials on Versus that just cuts right into the game or intermission and it is so annoying! :mad:

It just started this year and I wish it would stop. :mad:

If ESPN brings back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement then I wouldn't mind that at all. Right now I get to see Bill Clement when I watch Flyer games. I don't know where Gary Thorne disappeared to, but I know he also used to announce some baseball games. I'm not wild about some of the Versus announcers and often times I find that they are just the local announcers of the teams anyway. Gary Thorne and "The Doc" are the best hockey announcers. Also, I hate the fact that Versus always does Eastern conference games. They showed the Bruins vs Lightning twice in a few weeks time! Rarely do I get to see games out West or in the Midwest on Versus. B) And finally, I get these annoying commercials on Versus that just cuts right into the game or intermission and it is so annoying! :mad:

It just started this year and I wish it would stop. :mad:

Last time I checked Gary Thorne works for ESPN doing college football, basketball and the College Hockey Championship game. He also the lead TV voice for the Baltimore Orioles and also does playoff/world series games on MLB International TV. (World English feed now seen by Fox)

Melo will be traded before the deadline.

Not a gurantee. However the Nuggets will IMO trade him since they don't want to be like the Cavs when Lefraud left and get nothing.

At least in MLB when a major free agent leaves, his former club gets an extra pick in the following year's entry draft.

I've got the Bruins and Penguins on Versus, but I am so not interested, so I put on the Coyotes vs Blues on my laptop to watch while I wait for the Avs vs Red Wings to start up. See this is what I hate about Versus. The best game clearly is the Avalanche vs the Red Wings, yet they have the Bruins game and Crosby is out w/a concussion. B)

I've got the Bruins and Penguins on Versus, but I am so not interested, so I put on the Coyotes vs Blues on my laptop to watch while I wait for the Avs vs Redwings to start up. See this is what I hate about Versus. The best game clearly is the Avalanche vs the Red Wings, yet they have the Bruins game and Crosby is out w/a concussion. B)

Remember Versus has been on a shoe string budget by their owners Comcast. Now Comcast is about to merge with NBC, things will improve.

Archived