R44-R68 Door Chimes

ConductorB

Does anyone know why the door chimes tend to sound strange, damaged, or messed up on many R44, R46, R62/A, R68/A (Especially on R46 and R44 SIR)? many times they sound too slow or fast, high or low pitched, or just simply sounding strange. i was not around when the trains were new, but i'm guessing that when they were new the door chimes did not sound like that.

And how were they made? because they dont sound computerized really

:confused::confused:

I know I rode R68's since as long as I can remember. When I first rode them they were around 14 years old still young for subway car. The chimes on the doors if I remember would go Ding-Dong. That was back in 1997. Now they are 27 years old which is old for a subway car. If they were humans they would already be in their late 40's to early 50's.

Its still always a descending Major third (musical interval). However, the notes themselves are different depending on the train type and its age. The R160 (on the (M) at least) is a C-sharp to A. I wonder what the others are. One would think that dying transformers to get the right voltage might be to blame, but I'm not sure. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Very rarely, I hear only the first sound of the door chime with no second one.

thats not rare for me.

Some of them dont even have a door chime! I once was on an R160 and the door chime was a double one like an R142: ding-ding ding do--.

Archived