New PATH Railcars

Bstyles

Governor George E. Pataki today joined State and local officials and business and community leaders in Yonkers to formally announce that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has awarded a $499 million contract to Kawasaki Rail Car to design and build 340 new PATH subway cars. The new project will result in up to 300 new jobs being created at Kawasaki’s plant in Yonkers.

“This is great news for the people of Yonkers and it will ensure that the Kawasaki Rail Car facility remains a critical part of the Westchester economy. This new contract will result in up to 300 highly-skilled, good-paying jobs for Westchester residents and provide a boost to the growing downtown Yonkers area,” Governor Pataki said. “We’re proud that not only will New York commuters benefit from these new state-of-the-art subway cars -- but that they are being built in New York, right here in Yonkers.”

“Following the 9/11 attacks, we all clearly saw the important role that PATH plays in the region’s transportation network,” the Governor added. “These new cars, made in Yonkers, will provide commuters with a better PATH system, including the construction of the new WTC Transportation Hub designed by Santiago Calatrava, which will provide seamless connections between PATH, subways and ferry services.”

Following the announcement, the Governor met with employees of the rail car assembly complex and Kawasaki Rail Car executives, and inspected other subway cars currently under renovation at the site.

The award is part of an $809 million PATH modernization program that also includes car maintenance equipment, renovations to PATH’s Harrison Consolidated Maintenance Facility, and preliminary work on a new signal system. It is the largest single investment in the rapid transit system since the Port Authority acquired the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad in 1962.

Senator Nick Spano said, “This contract translates into literally hundreds of jobs for the City of Yonkers. I commend Governor Pataki and the Port Authority for their commitment to this important economic development project, and in making New York’s transit system even more efficient.”

Assemblyman Lou Mosiello said, “The contract awarded to Kawasaki Rail Car is good news for Yonkers’ economy. It will help establish greater opportunities for success by creating new jobs and fostering economic growth. I am pleased that Yonkers will play a vital role in the PATH modernization program.”

Assemblyman Gary Pretlow said, “The Kawasaki Rail company is noted for making highly reliable and durable rail cars, and I'm proud to represent the community that this internationally known company calls home. Kawasaki’s productivity, technology and expertise have helped the company win the Port Authority contract that will benefit not only the subway riders of New York City, but the entire metropolitan area.”

Yonkers Mayor Philip A. Amicone said, “The City of Yonkers has been the proud home of Kawasaki Rail Car for many years and has seen it grow and prosper in our City. They now employ approximately 280 people in highly skilled positions. This contract will add an additional 250 to 300 jobs - creating a wonderful opportunity for our City residents while increasing the number of people working in our ever expanding downtown area.”

Empire State Development Chairman Charles A. Gargano, who also serves as vice chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said, “This is not only a tremendous economic development announcement for Yonkers and the entire region with the creation of hundreds of jobs, but also great news for the region's transportation system as we modernize PATH. Governor Pataki remains focused on creating jobs and opportunities for New Yorkers and efforts to rebuild the critical transportation system in Lower Manhattan.”

Port Authority Executive Director Kenneth J. Ringler Jr. said, “The PATH car purchase is the single-largest investment ever made in our mass transit system, and demonstrates our commitment to improving the region's transportation network. This project shows Governor Pataki and Governor Codey’s commitment to attracting more people to public transit, reducing highway congestion and improving the environment.”

The new PATH cars will replace the system’s fleet, which averages 33 years of age and is the oldest in the nation. The new cars will have improved lighting, air conditioning and heating; cantilevered seats with room underneath for passengers to store items; prerecorded station announcements; better signs; and three door sets on each side to allow for faster loading and unloading.

The Port Authority expects to have the first of the new PATH cars in service in late 2008. The entire fleet will be replaced by 2011.

The Port Authority will break ground this summer for a new World Trade Center Transportation Hub, which will include a permanent PATH terminal. The $2 billion project will for the first time connect PATH with ferry services and with New York City Transit subway lines to better interconnect the region’s mass transit system.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey operates many of the busiest and most important transportation links in the region. They include John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia and Teterboro airports; AirTrain JFK and AirTrain Newark; the George Washington Bridge and Bus Station; the Lincoln and Holland tunnels; the three bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey; the PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) rapid-transit rail system; the Port Authority-Downtown Manhattan Heliport; Port Newark; the Elizabeth-Port Authority Marine Terminal; the New York Container Terminal on Staten Island; the Brooklyn Piers/Red Hook Container Terminal; and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. The agency also owns the 16-acre World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.

Look like replicas of the 160s; Jersey Style:cool:

Wow, i won't have to wear my bell bottoms or have my hair in an afro while listening to strawberry alarm clock anymore while riding PATH! :):cool:

- Andy

Wow, i won't have to wear my bell bottoms or have my hair in an afro while listening to strawberry alarm clock anymore while riding PATH! :):cool:

- Andy

LOL

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I guess I will try to catch the PATH when they come out, seeing that I've only been on it once.

there's a train already in service?

does anybody know what type of populsion they will have?

Nope theres no PA5s in service. They are not even in the US yet they are in japan somewere being made.....

As for what they will sound like my guess would be that they will sound something like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8KL5KSKG4A&feature=related

LOL

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I guess I will try to catch the PATH when they come out, seeing that I've only been on it once.

Well seeing that the most modern PATH cars were built in the 70's, you will see their cream and brown and orange etc. It's like a trip back in time!

- Andy

There are a few PA-5s in PATH's Harrison facility. There are a few more in Yonkers at the Kawasaki Plant. And over in Kobe, Japan, they are a few ready to be sent over.

The PA-5s will most likely have Siemens Propulsion. Hasn't been confirmed yet. Will definately find out when these cars do some testing. All you have to do is listen out and you'll know whether or not its Siemens Propulsion.

There are a few PA-5s in PATH's Harrison facility. There are a few more in Yonkers at the Kawasaki Plant. And over in Kobe, Japan, they are a few ready to be sent over.

The PA-5s will most likely have Siemens Propulsion. Hasn't been confirmed yet. Will definately find out when these cars do some testing. All you have to do is listen out and you'll know whether or not its Siemens Propulsion.

I've seen 2 of them hooked together behind a (NJT) diesel there (on a different track), but i didn't realize till now what they were. I wish PATH would allow photography. :)

- Andy

I've seen 2 of them hooked together behind a (NJT) diesel there (on a different track), but i didn't realize till now what they were. I wish PATH would allow photography. :)

- Andy

Yea, I saw one car peaking out the yard a while back. I heard they move it from time to time to Journal Square and back to Harrison.

I've seen 2 of them hooked together behind a (NJT) diesel there (on a different track), but i didn't realize till now what they were. I wish PATH would allow photography. ;)

There's nothing wrong with sneaking a quick photo. I see it done all the time. Or you can do with a camera phone.

There's nothing wrong with sneaking a quick photo. I see it done all the time. Or you can do with a camera phone.

I usually end up on the train when they pick up workers & the people are standing right there 2 feet away, or in the front car next to the driver, then it goes in the tunnel. I was thinking about getting a permit so i can take photos of the awesome stuff i see between newark and grove st, plus some of the temp station before it's totally gone at WTC. If i do get a permit you can expect 900 photos the next day ;);):cool:.

- Andy

I usually end up on the train when they pick up workers & the people are standing right there 2 feet away, or in the front car next to the driver, then it goes in the tunnel. I was thinking about getting a permit so i can take photos of the awesome stuff i see between newark and grove st, plus some of the temp station before it's totally gone at WTC. If i do get a permit you can expect 900 photos the next day ;);):cool:.

- Andy

Takes forever to get one of those and it usually doesn't go through.....

Archived