New hire question

nyjdmevo

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's actually 10 days but you really want to qualify(pass driving the mta way) on day 7 otherwise the pressure rises on day 9 and or 10. Day 8 would be a day for more

training. I hope your instructor is cool when the time comes, good luck.

thank you

you need navy blue pants, and a sky blue shirt, along with a dark blue tie. You can get this stuff from sears, macy's, uniform supply, etc. When hired, you will get uniforms from the ta, which they will mail to you, after taking your measurements, which is usually done on day 1, which is your orientation day. The instructors (superintendents) will tell you which depot to report to for qualification (7 to 10 days), then if you pass (you better or else), you will pick your depot you would like to work at, if available. You pick by seniority..........

thank you

You need navy blue pants, and a sky blue shirt, along with a dark blue tie. You can get this stuff from Sears, Macy's, Uniform supply, etc. When hired, you will get uniforms from the TA, which they will mail to you, after taking your measurements, which is usually done on day 1, which is your orientation day. The instructors (Superintendents) will tell you which depot to report to for qualification (7 to 10 days), then if you pass (you better or else), you will pick your depot you would like to work at, if available. You pick by seniority..........

Hold up a second, what about days 2-6? Do the students

drive the training bus in civilian clothes? I would think once you start line training then you have to be in uniform.

Best of DOB2RTO:

"You do not need to dress like you are going to an interview, with someone important, or a transit bus company that is worth dressing like that for (i.e., Liberty Lines).

"You are coming to drive a filthy, beaten down, most of dented fleet bus. All MTA is concerned about is your background, you passing, and how many times they can write you up throughout your career........"

Best of Noflexdont: and this guy was in the army, go figure;)

"I know I will never ever wear shorts on a bus. There are roaches and god knows whatever else crawling around on the bus ."

i work for fedex i always delivery the uniforms.yep iam a fed ex driver waiting for 2801!!!!

It sounds like you are a FedUp Fedex driver waiting for the call from your mabsota list. I thought about buying a FedEx home delivery route once but changed my mind, too many

headaches. You as a company driver have less to worry about

but you still put in long hours.

Hold up a second, what about days 2-6? Do the students

drive the training bus in civilian clothes? I would think once you start line training then you have to be in uniform.

Day 1 you sit in class, usually 180 Livingston to be told what to expect of the job. Day 2 we met at Zerega, in which the uniforms measurements were done, and we were told what depot we will be qualifying from. They can do the uniform measurements on day 1 also. Day 3 -10 are the qualification days, and you must have the blue shirt, dark blue pants, dark blue tie, and comfortable shoes. These are not interview clothing. MTA NYCTA does no real formal interview for B/O, T/O, C/R, etc. I was in a near lumberjack looking plaid red shirt, jeans, and sneakers, when I was sworn in. The clothing is for driving during qualification time. MTA uniforms should be delivered by the time you graduate.........

When I started in dec '09, we had to report to Zerega in the specified attire. Measurements for the uniform were not taken until after the 10th day of qualifying. No sense in measuring people for uniforms if they all aren't going to make it past training. Don't expect to get your uniforms very soon. I got mine in pieces over the 7 months I was on the job, and I think I still didn't receive it all b4 I was laid off.

It sounds like you are a FedUp Fedex driver waiting for the call from your mabsota list. I thought about buying a FedEx home delivery route once but changed my mind, too many

headaches. You as a company driver have less to worry about

but you still put in long hours.

yes locomotion long hours i hate it!!!!hopefully they'll start calling from my list soon

When I started in dec '09, we had to report to Zerega in the specified attire. Measurements for the uniform were not taken until after the 10th day of qualifying. No sense in measuring people for uniforms if they all aren't going to make it past training. Don't expect to get your uniforms very soon. I got mine in pieces over the 7 months I was on the job, and I think I still didn't receive it all b4 I was laid off.

What did they do? Look at your group, said we have misfits here, and said most ain't making it, so don't bother measuring yet? I had my MTA MetroCard, with picture, day 1 of orientation (they took picture, the day I was sworn in at Human Resources), and they measured us for our uniforms. Still they won't process the uniform, until the 7-10 days of qualification is done. If you get them, then mess up badly on probation, and get terminated, you must return the uniforms, or they will take it out of your check, after holding onto the check giving one time to return the uniforms..............

I hope you get back to the TA soon. I don't like the fact a B/O gets a forced time off, and is not out being treated cruelly by the public at times. I don't want any B/O home miserable, saying you want to get back to work. I want drivers at work, saying you wish you were home............

What did they do? Look at your group, said we have misfits here, and said most ain't making it, so don't bother measuring yet?

LOL maybe But that's how it went down.. As for the picture for the Pass, yeah that was done at Livingston b4 I ever went to Zerega, but we didn't get it till sometime at Zerega.

the day of training when we do the road test training do we have to call out and identify all hazards? and when a vehicle is in front of me how much space should i have between us? i will like to know everything. are we going to go over a railroad tracks on training day?

Hopefully somebody who has gone through that will answer you. I can answer your question about the railroad tracks, that only applies to school buses, so don't worry about that. You will be driving a transit bus(RTS)

There is no need to come to a complete stop at a RR crossing when there is no train approaching.

Most definitely call out hazards, clearances, etc. I was thinking about starting a specific thread about the reasons why some people fail, so we can all learn from it.

Ex: hitting or jumping the curb, pulling out of a bus stop with the front door open, not signaling, poor forward planning. You can't drive super slow since it's important

to go with the flow of traffic.

Some people on here have said that driving on the highway was easy. I would think that making really tight turns would be the hardest.

Hopefully somebody who has gone through that will answer you. I can answer your question about the railroad tracks, that only applies to school buses, so don't worry about that. You will be driving a transit bus(RTS)

There is no need to come to a complete stop at a RR crossing when there is no train approaching.

Most definitely call out hazards, clearances, etc. I was thinking about starting a specific thread about the reasons why some people fail, so we can all learn from it.

Ex: hitting or jumping the curb, pulling out of a bus stop with the front door open, not signaling, poor forward planning. You can't drive super slow since it's important

Some people on here have said that driving on the highway was easy. I would think that making really tight turns would be the hardest.

thanks, but poor forward planning what is that?

thanks, but poor forward planning what is that?

Examples of forward planning are being able to react in time to avoid an accident, to leave enough room between your bus and the car in front of you, not speeding, no hard braking, slowing down while going through an intersection and covering the brake pedal just in case, stuff like that.

Examples of forward planning are being able to react in time to avoid an accident, to leave enough room between your bus and the car in front of you, not speeding, no hard braking, slowing down while going through an intersection and covering the brake pedal just in case, stuff like that.

ok thanks

You are correct about all, except the railroad crossing. I don't recall us going over any, but all passenger buses and OTR motorcoaches, must stop at railroad crossings. You must put on your flashers, stop, look both ways, make sure you can clear your entire bus when you go across the tracks, then proceed, not stooping on the tracks. Federal Rule now, overriding the state rules. Too many buses got hit, and with a CDL, we have lots of federal laws to follow along with state laws. Remember a driver with a CDL, only can have half the alcohol content than someone without, when driving any vehicle. If it is .08, I only can have .04, even if driving my own car. It's a sacrifice you make.........

you are correct about all, except the railroad crossing. I don't recall us going over any, but all passenger buses and otr motorcoaches, must stop at railroad crossings. You must put on your flashers, stop, look both ways, make sure you can clear your entire bus when you go across the tracks, then proceed, not stooping on the tracks. Federal rule now, overriding the state rules. Too many buses got hit, and with a cdl, we have lots of federal laws to follow along with state laws. Remember a driver with a cdl, only can have half the alcohol content than someone without, when driving any vehicle. If it is .08, i only can have .04, even if driving my own car. It's a sacrifice you make.........

ok thanks

You are correct about all, except the railroad crossing. I don't recall us going over any, but all passenger buses and OTR motorcoaches, must stop at railroad crossings. You must put on your flashers, stop, look both ways, make sure you can clear your entire bus when you go across the tracks, then proceed, not stooping on the tracks. Federal Rule now, overriding the state rules. Too many buses got hit, and with a CDL, we have lots of federal laws to follow along with state laws. Remember a driver with a CDL, only can have half the alcohol content than someone without, when driving any vehicle. If it is .08, I only can have .04, even if driving my own car. It's a sacrifice you make.........

I heard that tickets and points are doubled on a CDL license also. True?

Maybe, I do know that CDL holders are held to stricter standards then regular drivers license holders. What kind of tickets do you have, otherwise why would you be asking?

None at all. I heard it from the trainers at this job in NJ. I was informing the forum..

hopefully somebody who has gone through that will answer you. I can answer your question about the railroad tracks, that only applies to school buses, so don't worry about that. You will be driving a transit bus(rts)

there is no need to come to a complete stop at a rr crossing when there is no train approaching.

Ex: Hitting or jumping the curb, pulling out of a bus stop with the front door open, not signaling, poor forward planning. You can't drive super slow since it's important

so when are you going to started the thread on the road test?

so when are you going to started the thread on the road test?

Whatever you want to know about the qualifying process you can ask a B/O on here. It's good that you want to know what is going to happen in advance. This is from one of the sticky's up above.

Q: What does the training for Bus Operator consist of?

A: You will need to go to Zerega for more than 1 day. If you pass on the 7th day, that means Zerega for Monday, Day 8, 9, 10 and the following Monday. This Monday is for you to pick your Depot and measure your uniform. If you pass on Day 9 or Day 10, then you don’t need to go there for Day 8 and Day 9.

On Monday, they will assign an instructor, time and Depot for you. It can be a Depot in Brooklyn or all the way in the Bronx. They will give you either 6 or 10AM, depends on the instructor. Again, you have no choice, it’s random.

You actually have only 6 days of training, Day 7 is the road test. If you fail your road test on Day 7, you’ll get 1 more day of training. They will assign you with another instructor to correct your problem.

If you don’t have a CDL yet, you should have it before the training starts, as they assume you already know how to drive the bus. They are just teaching you the drive it their way.

* Day 1: They will take you out to the road for basic turning, mirror setting. Forward planning and other things.

* Day 2: Tight turns, it’s the hardest day. You will make tight turns that are 2 inches from hitting a car or a wall on both sides. Super tight, yikes!

* Day 3: Learn to make bus stops, near side, far side. Backing up and parking.

* Day 4: Elevated pillars.

* Day 5: They will take you to Upper Manhattan, making all kinds of turns and stops.

* Day 6: They will take you to Lower Manhattan to experience traffic, people, bikes. During these days you will get highway training in between too.

* Day 7: You will take your road test.

I have read on here that the passing rate on day 10 is very low, they feel that it shouldn't have to take you that long to be able to drive the MTA way.

whatever you want to know about the qualifying process you can ask a b/o on here. It's good that you want to know what is going to happen in advance. This is from one of the sticky's up above.

q: What does the training for bus operator consist of?

A: You will need to go to zerega for more than 1 day. If you pass on the 7th day, that means zerega for monday, day 8, 9, 10 and the following monday. This monday is for you to pick your depot and measure your uniform. If you pass on day 9 or day 10, then you don’t need to go there for day 8 and day 9.

On monday, they will assign an instructor, time and depot for you. It can be a depot in brooklyn or all the way in the bronx. They will give you either 6 or 10am, depends on the instructor. Again, you have no choice, it’s random.

You actually have only 6 days of training, day 7 is the road test. If you fail your road test on day 7, you’ll get 1 more day of training. They will assign you with another instructor to correct your problem.

If you don’t have a cdl yet, you should have it before the training starts, as they assume you already know how to drive the bus. They are just teaching you the drive it their way.

* day 1: They will take you out to the road for basic turning, mirror setting. Forward planning and other things.

* day 2: Tight turns, it’s the hardest day. You will make tight turns that are 2 inches from hitting a car or a wall on both sides. Super tight, yikes!

* day 3: Learn to make bus stops, near side, far side. Backing up and parking.

* day 4: Elevated pillars.

* day 5: They will take you to upper manhattan, making all kinds of turns and stops.

* day 6: They will take you to lower manhattan to experience traffic, people, bikes. During these days you will get highway training in between too.

* day 7: You will take your road test.

I have read on here that the passing rate on day 10 is very low, they feel that it shouldn't have to take you that long to be able to drive the mta way.

doing the pre-trip inspections what is all i will need to remember and what is the harded thing i will have to do? and what about when you are inside the bus what do you have to remember?

doing the pre-trip inspections what is all i will need to remember and what is the harded thing i will have to do? and what about when you are inside the bus what do you have to remember?

Inside the bus, remember not to physically pull passengers off the bus and beat them, smoking or non smoking. They frown on that.;)

Archived