New hire question

nyjdmevo

Inside the bus, remember not to physically pull passengers off the bus and beat them, smoking or non smoking. They frown on that.:P

THANK YOU, BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHEN I'M SITTING IN THE BUS WHAT DO I NEED TO REMEMBER. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, I KNOW NOT to physically pull passengers off the bus.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about the fare box for now, that will come later on when you are in line training with a senior B/O sitting next to you. All I can tell you about the Pre trip are the air brake tests.

ALSAPS, remember that word and you will be ok. :tup:

A-Air leakage test.

L-Low air pressure warning signals test.

S-Spring brake test

A-Air compressor cut off test

P-Parking brake test

S-Service brake test.

1- Air leakage: They are going to ask you to get behind the wheel for this test. The bus will be off, and must be off for 1-3. To do the air leakage rate you look at the air pressure gauge. Tell the instructor how much air is in the gauge. You then depress the brake pedal. This gives you your initial air loss. Tell the instructor this, immediately. You keep your foot on the brake pedal for two minutes, to get the air leakage rate. So it's like 3 parts for #1.

*example is when you get behind the wheel and read the gauge it says 120lbs of air. You say I have 120lbs of air. You step on the brake pedal, and it immediately drops to 115lbs psi, you say "it's at 115psi my initial air loss is 5lbs psi". You then keep your foot on the brake pedal for 2 minutes (alot don't let you wait that long), and you should lose no more that 2lbs per minute. If it goes down to 113lbs, you say "it's at 113lbs psi, my air leakage rate is 2lbs psi in 2 minutes*.

2. Low Air Buzzer: You turn the control knob to lights, but don't start the engine. You pump the brake pedal until the buzzer goes off. When you hear it you tell the instructor at what PSI did it go off. That should be at around 80-60PSI.

3. Spring brake: You make sure the bus is on level ground, release the parking brake (aka spring brake), and continue depressing the brake pedal. The parking brake should pop up at around 40-30 psi. When it pops up, you tell the instructor "spring brakes engaged at whatever it is, PSI".

4. Air Compressor: Now you turn on the bus, and let it run (with fast idle on). (They may make you do a wrap around during this time (pointing things out in front that should be there and not broken)). Pay attention to the PSSSHHHHH sound. That would be the compressor cutting off, and that should be at 120-130lbs psi in the RTS they train everyone on. Tell the instructor "the compressor cut out at whatever it is, PSI".

5. Parking Brake: With bus still running you shut off the fast idle, and then put the bus in drive (DO NOT RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES). You give the bus a little gas, and the bus should lean to the right (door side), but not move. Say "bus leaned to the right, bus didn't move, parking brakes work properly".

6. Service Brakes: You now disengage the parking brakes, and let the bus roll 20-40ft (do it length of bus to be safe....40ft). Press the brake pedal, and bus should stop without pulling to the left or to the right. Say "bus stopped normally, no pulling to the left or right. That means the brakes are aligned properly.

When u begin training, you will be given a manual and you will be taught everything you need to know about how to pre-trip a bus by a superintendent. If you want review your dmv manual and study it so you know the terminology and steps, then u just have to learn the physical part of doing it,saying it and demostrating it for your trainer and your road test.

Good luck

Hey Locomotion69 are you sure your not a bus operator in your past life? good job i don't think anyone could have said it better. :tup:

LOL, I copied it and pasted it from one of DOB2RTO posts

from a long time ago. I have been on these forums for 3 years now so I am allowed to do that. I also have some of your postings saved in my documents folders along with other B/O's posts also.

I can't remember what I was in my past life, I am more concerned though what I will be in the after life,;)

sjmdt: I read on here that somebody failed when they left

the bus in reverse(hopefully they set the parking brake before leaving the bus,lol)when they were checking behind the bus while doing the straight backing.

You don't have to rush into anything, think first before you do something. You can't be nervous, one guy was so nervous that his legs were shaking and the result was that he got into an accident, that was the end for him.

You will be on the bus with 3 other students, maybe one will drop out so that would give you more driving time which is important. The more you do something the better you get at it.

Being nervous is understandable.Heck I was a nervous wreck during all 4 of my T/O practicals.As long as you practice enough to the point where you know what you are doing,the nerves in the beginning of the test will give way to a smooth practical and everything you learned,you will be able to show the Superintendent exactly that.YOU lead the practical and show them that you can do this.Believe me,after the firs few nervous minutes where you cant even talk you get into this groove and you do better than you ever did.BELIEVE ME!!

Good Luck to all!!!

;)

THANK YOU, BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHEN I'M SITTING IN THE BUS WHAT DO I NEED TO REMEMBER. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, I KNOW NOT to physically pull passengers off the bus.

Sorry SJ, just joking. It was related to the video on here of the driver pulling the woman off the bus. Good luck and don't worry. I'm sure they cover all the bases in training.

don't worry about the fare box for now, that will come later on when you are in line training with a senior b/o sitting next to you. All i can tell you about the pre trip are the air brake tests.

Alsaps, remember that word and you will be ok. :tup:

A-air leakage test.

L-low air pressure warning signals test.

S-spring brake test

a-air compressor cut off test

p-parking brake test

s-service brake test.

1- air leakage: They are going to ask you to get behind the wheel for this test. The bus will be off, and must be off for 1-3. To do the air leakage rate you look at the air pressure gauge. Tell the instructor how much air is in the gauge. You then depress the brake pedal. This gives you your initial air loss. Tell the instructor this, immediately. You keep your foot on the brake pedal for two minutes, to get the air leakage rate. So it's like 3 parts for #1.

*example is when you get behind the wheel and read the gauge it says 120lbs of air. You say i have 120lbs of air. You step on the brake pedal, and it immediately drops to 115lbs psi, you say "it's at 115psi my initial air loss is 5lbs psi". You then keep your foot on the brake pedal for 2 minutes (alot don't let you wait that long), and you should lose no more that 2lbs per minute. If it goes down to 113lbs, you say "it's at 113lbs psi, my air leakage rate is 2lbs psi in 2 minutes*.

2. Low air buzzer: You turn the control knob to lights, but don't start the engine. You pump the brake pedal until the buzzer goes off. When you hear it you tell the instructor at what psi did it go off. That should be at around 80-60psi.

3. Spring brake: You make sure the bus is on level ground, release the parking brake (aka spring brake), and continue depressing the brake pedal. The parking brake should pop up at around 40-30 psi. When it pops up, you tell the instructor "spring brakes engaged at whatever it is, psi".

4. Air compressor: Now you turn on the bus, and let it run (with fast idle on). (they may make you do a wrap around during this time (pointing things out in front that should be there and not broken)). Pay attention to the pssshhhhh sound. That would be the compressor cutting off, and that should be at 120-130lbs psi in the rts they train everyone on. Tell the instructor "the compressor cut out at whatever it is, psi".

5. Parking brake: With bus still running you shut off the fast idle, and then put the bus in drive (do not release the parking brakes). You give the bus a little gas, and the bus should lean to the right (door side), but not move. Say "bus leaned to the right, bus didn't move, parking brakes work properly".

6. Service brakes: You now disengage the parking brakes, and let the bus roll 20-40ft (do it length of bus to be safe....40ft). Press the brake pedal, and bus should stop without pulling to the left or to the right. Say "bus stopped normally, no pulling to the left or right. That means the brakes are aligned properly.

thank you

when u begin training, you will be given a manual and you will be taught everything you need to know about how to pre-trip a bus by a superintendent. If you want review your dmv manual and study it so you know the terminology and steps, then u just have to learn the physical part of doing it,saying it and demostrating it for your trainer and your road test.

Good luck

thank you

sjmdt: I read on here that somebody failed when they left

the bus in reverse(hopefully they set the parking brake before leaving the bus,lol)when they were checking behind the bus while doing the straight backing.

You don't have to rush into anything, think first before you do something. You can't be nervous, one guy was so nervous that his legs were shaking and the result was that he got into an accident, that was the end for him.

You will be on the bus with 3 other students, maybe one will drop out so that would give you more driving time which is important. The more you do something the better you get at it.

thank you

being nervous is understandable.heck i was a nervous wreck during all 4 of my t/o practicals.as long as you practice enough to the point where you know what you are doing,the nerves in the beginning of the test will give way to a smooth practical and everything you learned,you will be able to show the superintendent exactly that.you lead the practical and show them that you can do this.believe me,after the firs few nervous minutes where you cant even talk you get into this groove and you do better than you ever did.believe me!!

Good luck to all!!!

;)

thank you

Good morning everyone, I know guy's that I will be given a manual and they will teach me everything that I need to know but I will like to know it first so I won't be nervous. when you learn something on your own it stop you from being nervous(FOR ME). so I need some more help with this please thank you. ok now i think i have the brakes down now what i need to know is about the outside of the bus. I know about the tires 4/32 right. Ok now what about the light's? And everything else on the outside? thank you!

You are going to be the most prepared out of the 4 students on the training bus come Monday, Jan 31st. I asked a question similar to yours once on here and the B/O never answered. He said he was going to take a picture of the "cockpit" and put it up on here.

I remember when I was at my CDL driving school I asked

my instructor if I could record the inside and outside of the

school bus to help me learn what the different parts, switches did,etc. He said go ahead knock yourself out, lol.

I was more worried about the pre- trip then I was about

driving the bus. I am sure they will let you record or take

pictures of the training bus once you are there.

Hey I new to the forum, I 'll like to know how long will they take to call me for exam # 5025 after I ask to be recertified on the list. My original list number is 34.

Well the 5025 list expires on Oct 31st of this year.

When did you go to DCAS to get your name put back

on the list? I believe they started hiring in 2007 from

your list. I am sure there are a lot of people like you

on the list but not with such a low list number like yours.

sjdmt:can you ask if this will be the last class for now

when you go on the 31st? looks like every 2 weeks

they have been having classes since the late fall, thanks.

sjdmt is #4,826, there are # 4,886 on the 5025 list, doesn't mean that they are done with the list. There has to be several people who passed up the call, medical holds,etc.

They have to finish those people first before working off the 8006 list right?

you are going to be the most prepared out of the 4 students on the training bus come monday, jan 31st. I asked a question similar to yours once on here and the b/o never answered. He said he was going to take a picture of the "cockpit" and put it up on here.

I remember when i was at my cdl driving school i asked

my instructor if i could record the inside and outside of the

school bus to help me learn what the different parts, switches did,etc. He said go ahead knock yourself out, lol.

I was more worried about the pre- trip then i was about

driving the bus. I am sure they will let you record or take

pictures of the training bus once you are there.

thank you, i'm hoping that i will be very prepared for this because that's how much i want it.

Hey I new to the forum, I 'll like to know how long will they take to call me for exam # 5025 after I ask to be recertified on the list. My original list number is 34.

HI DRE, I'M SJDMT BUT WHEN I GO TO MY CLASS ON THE 31st I WILL SEE IF THIS IS THE LAST CLASS OR IF THEY HAVE MORE. I'M FROM 5025 AND MY LIST # 4826.

well the 5025 list expires on oct 31st of this year.

When did you go to dcas to get your name put back

on the list? I believe they started hiring in 2007 from

your list. I am sure there are a lot of people like you

on the list but not with such a low list number like yours.

Sjdmt:can you ask if this will be the last class for now

when you go on the 31st? Looks like every 2 weeks

they have been having classes since the late fall, thanks.

Sjdmt is #4,826, there are # 4,886 on the 5025 list, doesn't mean that they are done with the list. There has to be several people who passed up the call, medical holds,etc.

They have to finish those people first before working off the 8006 list right?

yes i wll.

All this info is very good, but i just finish my 1st week of bus school, i started on Jan 17 and it been a long but very good week. listen sidmt it notting to it but to do, i have a great teacher and you will get one too, these quys no what their doing. Your teacher does'nt want you to fail, they want you to pass and they will do anyting and everything to help, it up to you to listen and than apply what they are teaching you.

I'm not saying to not be prepare, like i said all this info is good and correct, but the person that you need to listen to is your teacher, he or she will show you everything, but you have to be open minded.

And if you have your CDL class B with Pass Great, i have my cdl already but i had to learn to drive the mta way, but is all good.

Good luck, you can do it just don't go crazy, i still have to pass on day 7, but i think i will and if not i alway have day 8, 9 ,10 and if i fail its on me:cry:, but i don't think i will.;)

Archived