New hire question

nyjdmevo

I forgot one more thing, you are only as strong as you team, the other 3 quys or ladys that are with you, you have to help each other, talk to one another, and say to each other we are all going to pass, and keep saying it.

I have a strong team, but we also have a weak link, (he never drove a bus, and he just got his cdl premit) but with everyone help, mainly the teacher, he is as good as all of us now. so help one another.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
all this info is very good, but i just finish my 1st week of bus school, i started on jan 17 and it been a long but very good week. Listen sidmt it notting to it but to do, i have a great teacher and you will get one too, these quys no what their doing. Your teacher does'nt want you to fail, they want you to pass and they will do anyting and everything to help, it up to you to listen and than apply what they are teaching you.

I'm not saying to not be prepare, like i said all this info is good and correct, but the person that you need to listen to is your teacher, he or she will show you everything, but you have to be open minded.

And if you have your cdl class b with pass great, i have my cdl already but i had to learn to drive the mta way, but is all good.

Good luck, you can do it just don't go crazy, i still have to pass on day 7, but i think i will and if not i alway have day 8, 9 ,10 and if i fail its on me:cry:, but i don't think i will.;)

thank you very much for that because i always try to be prepared for everything i do, but i see sometime i cann't. I have my cdl class b with pass premit.

i forgot one more thing, you are only as strong as you team, the other 3 quys or ladys that are with you, you have to help each other, talk to one another, and say to each other we are all going to pass, and keep saying it.

I have a strong team, but we also have a weak link, (he never drove a bus, and he just got his cdl premit) but with everyone help, mainly the teacher, he is as good as all of us now. So help one another.

ok thank you for the infor. Let us know what happen with you, when you are done your 2 week.

lawbattle4: what depot did they send you for qualifying and do you start at 6:00am or at 10:00am?

Just a slight correction, day 8 is a extra day of training, not a day to pass or fail.

The real deal happens on either day 7,9, or 10, 2 out of 3 days to qualify.

I agree with you bro, the instructor is very important, that is cool that you are keeping each other motivated. Keep us updated, thanks.

For what it's worth the passing rate of people who have posted on here before is 99%, no kidding.:tup:

This guy who used to post on here failed a couple of years

ago, I will protect his identity but I learned from what he posted, hope this helps any of you out there. We learn from others mistakes sometimes.

"Thanks man it's cool. out of 110 only 40 made it from all three divisions.

The only downside and good things is I am still on 2 more bus operator list.

The only downside is I have to wait 3 years to go back through.

I did good through most of the program and I dont know what happened

on my qualifying days."

"On day 7 the first person that went made it. The second person failed within 5 minutes

he had to get backed up and tried to pull out with the door open. I went next and

I did good on the first half wich consisted of bus stops and wraparound bus stops.

I did well on parking and straight backing. The highway is the easiest part.

Then he took me through the turn portion of the test."

"

My first turn was an acute turn Wich i did well on. Then there were basic right and left turns.

The last turn was a real tight turn the BX8 makes. Theres an island curb in the middle of the street and on the right side theres a fence and trees.

I turned to earlier and hit the island curb.

I wasnt upset because that was my fault. on day 9 and 10 we got a different instructor."

"He was an ******* and do not wish him on anybody. on my day 9 of testing which was in manhatten he let his favorite go first,

which is crucial because there is no traffic. He passed, the second person that went failed. He said she had too much poor forward planning

and always got stuck behind a double park car or didnt change lanes fast enough for him.

The next guy hit the curb before we even left the block."

"I went last, did the entire course perfectly and at the end a truck

cut me off and pulled into park on my left side..I stopped and squeezed around him and made my turn.

He failed because he said I didnt use my horn and that was a dangerous action I was too close to the truck even though I didnt hit him or was Trollied braked.

I wanted to kick his ass, he said dont worry Ill pass on day 10. "

"Day 10 was on a monday so you have to shake off 2 days of dust and

bust out some tight pivot point turns.

its not impossible but its difficult.

Out of 5 people that took it with me on my bus none passed.

I felt like a loser but maybe the train operator might be more my speed...

I dont know but maybe working for MTA BUs wasnt for me.

I am still on the oa and have a low list number for 8006.

I dont know what advice to give to help others on going through because

I swore I was a sure thing but hey."

loco you are right day 8 is another day of training with a new teacher. I'm in the jamaica depo, and my class starts at 7:30am, but theirs also another class that starts at 6am.

Did u have a hard time finding parking(wherever they had you)?

yes parking is crazy, i take the train to the jamaica depo. P.s mta bus cannot ride the train for free, i have to buy a metro card like everyone eles, that sucks.

so when you was up in the bx at zerega it was crazy also trying to find parking?

Yes parking is crazy, I take the train to the jamaica depo. P.s mta bus cannot ride the train for free, I have to buy a metro card like everyone eles, that sucks.

Strange that you are from the MTA Bus list but you have to

report to Jamaica Depot which is a TA depot. So your schedule is 7:30am-3:30pm?

so when you was up in the bx at zerega it was crazy also trying to find parking?

This topic has been covered on here before.

I found this post by Olegkha to be most helpful.

"There is plenty of parking there, pass 750 zerega and about a block or two down on the left side its clear all the time making a right right after 750 zerega, good chance to find parking every time i got there 60-10 minutes before the time i was suppose to come and never had a problem with parking. furthest i parked was 3 blocks away on zerega av."

Looking at google maps, one side of Zerega Ave the cars

are parked perpendicular with their nose facing the street

and on the other side they are parked parallel.

It's a commercial area so watch out for the signs, there is a DSNY garage

next to 750 Zerega Ave.

Stay away from the Castle Hill projects which is nearby, it might not be as bad as other housing projects in the Bronx but play it safe.

Remember you will be driving there in the dark.

http://www.primospot.com/

So you can see what streets around there have alternate side of the street parking regulations.

I think a watch that has military time is what you are talking about. I have a cheap Casio watch that when you press a button displays that. Ex. 1:00pm is 1300 hrs, 8:00pm is 2000 hrs, 9:00am is 0900 hrs. They use military time at the MTA. We had a few questions on it on our exams if I remember correctly.

http://www.jr.com/casio/pe/CAS_F105W_hy_1AWCF/

I think a watch that has military time is what you are talking about. I have a cheap Casio watch that when you press a button displays that. Ex. 1:00pm is 1300 hrs, 8:00pm is 2000 hrs, 9:00am is 0900 hrs. They use military time at the MTA. We had a few questions on it on our exams if I remember correctly.

http://www.jr.com/casio/pe/CAS_F105W_hy_1AWCF/

thank you

I really feel for all of you students trying to qualify in this weather.

It's really rough in this weather, same with all of the

B/O's trying to get through their runs today or tonight.

Dispatcher says to keep the bus in service, but your bus is slipping and sliding all over the place. Got to do what supervision says, so a few minutes later you get into an accident and it's all your fault.

Anybody out there on the B/O lists if you are interested in listening in on either the MTA Bus or TA Bus frequencies let me know. I can help you out with what type of a scanner

to buy and how to program it.

I listen in on a daily basis for about 1-2 hrs and it might help you better understand the job of a B/O and dispatchers as well as superintendents. Listening in is legal in the privacy of your home, anybody that tells you otherwise is ignorant.

YES!!!! I pass on day 7 bearly, it was hard seeing how it was snowing non stop and they still went on with the test, but I made. I was told to go to the bronx today, but it got cancel and now we have to make it up on sat, SMH, but its ok, and as far as pay, I started on 1/17/11 and I have not been paid yet, so I guess it coming soon, I hope.

Sjdmt I no you are excited but be cool like I told you, your teacher will shows you everthing, I promise, the wrap around the alsaps(air breaks test) pretrip etc, just listen to everythe he or she tell you, note: when you driving call out everything you are doing even if you think you sound crazy, call it out, tell the teacher when you are scaning your mirror,or moving over to the left cuz you are forward planing do that everyday, and day 1 is not really day 1 you are in class doing paper work, on day 2 is when you start driving. In fact on the 31 I will be in the bronx doing my CPR and finding out what depo I will be doing my line training.

Archived