Hey People New BO needs advice!!

CPBO

I am a Bus Opeartor at the College Point Depot with MTA BUS...I started the line training last August and been driving on my own since Sept. I also took test #5025 for NYC Transit and got called.....my list number was 601....I pasted on it as I only had a 3 month probation with MTA BUS.....from what I understand the probabtion with NYC Transit is 1 year.....I am in such limbo if I should just stay where I am at....the pay is 16.50 per hr verses 18.92....our top pay is 23.59 verses 26.92.....there is all this talk at the depot of us getting a contract after the Transit contract is settled when it expires in December...us doing the same job as Transit sooo we should be getting equal pay..."parity" ....... and then all the talk about the MTA regionalizing all the Bus lines and making us all under one umbrella.....the politics never stop I tell you!!...anybody with some advice would be greatly appreciated....at this point I have 30 plus people below me...and will be coming up on a year!! Thanks in advance!!

Well, you have to do a lot of thinking about it. If money is not a big deal, then I would say stay at MTAB because you are already in the door, and eventually NYCT and MTAB are going to merge. If you want the experience of being at MaBSTOA or the TA then I would say make the move. Also, if you are not worried about attendance issues, and think you can do a year of probation then NYCT may be a good idea. Other than that, I guess you really just have to weigh all your options, and make the decision that is best for you. If I had to chose, my decision would be a little off the wall, because it would be based on what type of buses I would be driving. :P College point only has Orion V CNG's and MCI OTR's. That is so boring!!! No just kidding! Good luck in whatever you chose, I know it is going to be hard to chose.

CPBO: I am friends with a Bus Operator who just transferred over from MTA Bus. He told me everything about MTA BUS. I believe it was spring creek. I usually don't say much, but I will say this: YOU ARE CRAZY IF YOU DON'T TRANSFER OVER. I remember him telling me this "If and when they make cuts, it will start with MTA bus". Get out of there as quickly as possible. Alot of those guys just stay there until the NYCT calls them anyway.

Take into account a couplle of things though. Is there a nyct depot closer to your house, or is the MTA bus depot closer. Incorporate traveling time and money into your decision. How well do the routes pay in MTA bus compared to nyct?

You did a great thing by fidning this website. Go with your gut. You already know what your decision is. You came to this site to be "talked in" to nyct.

See you in nyct.

Get out of there I was in 2 depots with MTA bus In the Bx and in spring creek and I was getting about 15.00hr after gas and tolls, tax, dues I was getting around $250 a week and we were getting paid weekly so $500 every 2weeks. I just could not take it anymore the way they treat me there even when I was training the guy didn't even know how to used the Charlie Brake he had to call someone up. anyways If you think your in a good spot then stay.But from what I know I would go fast. Just remember If you want TA you have to start all over again. when I was talking to Mr Williams the HR guy with the glasses he said to me if you leave or TRANSFER it's the same thing there is no TRANSFER from MTA bus to TA you have to start from the pit. But you will make money at TA. Gas isn't cheap and tolls are high. if you live near by then your good. good luck with that.

East New York.....that is the thing....I am not sure if I want to do another year of probation.....any little thing and they are looking to extend it or get rid of you!....I also an not sure what depot is by me I live on the Q88 line in Oakland Gardens.....but in the first year don't you go where they want to send you?? I mean I hear you have no say in it...if they need you in Brooklyn then they send you....if they need you in the BX same thing....and I think I am trying to stay out of the city and those 45 footers MCI's....lol I am not scared...I did 3 months of it, and hated those yellow taxis and foot taxi's...and christmas time was a nightmare!!...anyway....

Chris Frusci.....Take into account a couplle of things though. Is there a nyct depot closer to your house, or is the MTA bus depot closer. Incorporate traveling time and money into your decision. How well do the routes pay in MTA bus compared to nyct?.....I have a run that pays 45:43 now...in time If the MTA does not cut the runs...like I hear they are starting to do all over....I could get a run paying 56hrs.....or get a run paying 50hrs and do a tripper on my day off....there are alot of ways to make money here at the MTA BUS.....I'm just trying to figure out what is the better move....I know I am here and moving forward....no more "probi" on my sleve....lol...and I got to tell ya I hated the first 2 months or so of being on the extra board and driving around with my directions in my left hand and right hand on the wheel...wondering if I had a spotter on my bus. etc....we have pretty much the same health insurance as you do...I have GHI hi option...the pension I think you all's is better......right now we have 82 X's years of sevice but that is from the old contract "private Lines"....everyone is waiting on 2 see what the next contract brings to the table....I think I should at least stay till spring of next year and see if they get a contract and what is in it.....and take if from there...I can always go to 1 centre street and get my name back on the list....they should call me pretty quick as by then the list will be at the end I am sure...

RTS4LIFE....yae you had it bad....they start over in Spring Creek at like 12.87 an hr.....I turned that down as that was the original plan of thiers...send me to JFK for 12.87....I was like no thank you!! Did you end up going to TA?? ...Yes the bottom of the pit....I ssoo hated it!!

thank you guys for responding I am still pondering what to do.....I did take a few years ago the Conductor list.....now that would be a good call if they called me...but I am like 10,340 on that list ....no chance of that!!

I'm in the process just went down for my drug test. I just got a phone call for track worker at metro north thinking of it. When I was at MTA bus it was a joke. I'm telling you probation is also a joke at MTA bus TA don't play around when it come to probation my brother hit a car with his bus they took him out of service sent him down for drug test then he was home for like 2 weeks before he could come back his probation was just about up they gave him 3mouths more of probation and he had to go to class take a road test. When I was at MTA bus this girl hit 2 cars guess what happen they took her off the bus no drug test. Road ops took a report sent her back to the depot and told her no more MCI for you. I was WOW if TA just knew what was going on. But I hear now that they are cracking down.

I'm in the process just went down for my drug test. I just got a phone call for track worker at metro north thinking of it. When I was at MTA bus it was a joke. I'm telling you probation is also a joke at MTA bus TA don't play around when it come to probation my brother hit a car with his bus they took him out of service sent him down for drug test then he was home for like 2 weeks before he could come back his probation was just about up they gave him 3mouths more of probation and he had to go to class take a road test. When I was at MTA bus this girl hit 2 cars guess what happen they took her off the bus no drug test. Road ops took a report sent her back to the depot and told her no more MCI for you. I was WOW if TA just knew what was going on. But I hear now that they are cracking down.
Wow who's fault was it for the incidents? I remember the QBx1 turning and squishing a BMW 5 series, it was the ladies fault for trying to cut the bus on the inside of a tight turn. Nothing happened to the bus driver (I sometimes talk to B/Os).

CPBO

East New York.....that is the thing....I am not sure if I want to do another year of probation.....any little thing and they are looking to extend it or get rid of you!....I also an not sure what depot is by me I live on the Q88 line in Oakland Gardens.....but in the first year don't you go where they want to send you?? I mean I hear you have no say in it...if they need you in Brooklyn then they send you....if they need you in the BX same thing....and I think I am trying to stay out of the city and those 45 footers MCI's....lol I am not scared...I did 3 months of it, and hated those yellow taxis and foot taxi's...and christmas time was a nightmare!!...anyway....

You can pick into the depot you want as long as there are availabilities. It does work on a first come first serve basis though. If you're not scared then go for it. You're closest to the Queens Village Depot, Jamaica Depot is close as well, and Casey Stengel is right around the corner from where you work now. If you get a chance to pick into Queens, youre stuck there at whatever depot you pick. So If the moment ever arrises, pick wisely!!:)

My brother was making a right turn and the car hit the side of the bus they try to say he left his right open. now at MTA bus that girl hit 2 park cars.
Your brother shouldn't have got in trouble then, the bus says "Do Not Pass on the Right". Isn't that a law? This happened with a school bus and a car right in my face, the cop came and only punished the car for passing on the buses right, especially on a turn. She was trying to go straight and the bus was trying to give room for the tight turn. Had his blinker on and everything. The bus driver didn't get in trouble either.

I know what your saying. MTA don't care they tried hang him . When you get hit they want to know why you didn't try to stop or avoid it. That's how MTA looks at it. My brother doing fine now he's been on the job for about almost 5years now. he works the M42

Since your probation is over, I would just stay put. It is 1 year for TA and OA. Sad thing is OA use to be 6 months. Alot of people have a negative feeling of working for MTA Bus (they should know since they worked or trained there). You have to make this decision yourself. As Chris said, take into account which depots are closet to you. Take into account starting all over again. You don't want to do alot of traveling to and fro the depot. If you feel TWU Local 100 won't get you all the same pay as us, in what you find a reasonable amount of time, I say switch over. Just make sure you put in a letter of resignation.

DOB2RTO.....thats it....my probation is over....I am going to give this place a year....if nothing happens....then I always have the option of coming over to TA....the other thing that bothers me is the traveling to and from the run....over by us I go to the depot...park my car...get my run sheet...pick up the bus and do the run....then go back to the depot hand in my sheet and get in my car....go home....the depot is 15min from the house no tolls etc....I guess thou if the contract is not done within in a years time....and they keep it like it is...I will have to get use to the traveling to and from the run....I mean alot of people do it now....can't be that bad.....It can't be that bad where I am at....guys on the job for over 40 years....I know most of that was with the private lines....the biggest complaint I hear is about Roger...."Roger hates us cause we tried to break out of the union years ago" It will be interesting to see what the first MTA contract looks like for MTA BUS.

Thank you for giving me some insight and for everybody on here that read and gave feedback.....This is a on going decision for me and well for now I stay put.....

DOB2RTO.....thats it....my probation is over....I am going to give this place a year....if nothing happens....then I always have the option of coming over to TA....the other thing that bothers me is the traveling to and from the run....over by us I go to the depot...park my car...get my run sheet...pick up the bus and do the run....then go back to the depot hand in my sheet and get in my car....go home....the depot is 15min from the house no tolls etc....I guess thou if the contract is not done within in a years time....and they keep it like it is...I will have to get use to the traveling to and from the run....I mean alot of people do it now....can't be that bad.....It can't be that bad where I am at....guys on the job for over 40 years....I know most of that was with the private lines....the biggest complaint I hear is about Roger...."Roger hates us cause we tried to break out of the union years ago" It will be interesting to see what the first MTA contract looks like for MTA BUS.

Thank you for giving me some insight and for everybody on here that read and gave feedback.....This is a on going decision for me and well for now I stay put.....

You are 15 minutes away from your depot? You should stay put. I do the same thing, except the line I work on now, I make my relief in front of the depot. When I worked the Bx41, I had to take a bus from the depot to the relief point. When I worked the Bx6 I took the train. They don't leave us enough time for this, so you actually reported early, just to get to the relief point on time. This is one of my biggest gripes with our union. If we show up on their time, and get there late due to lack of time, the violations should be thrown out, and the MTA forced to give more travel paid time.

Thats the same thing with RTO got to fight for your money. They don't give you enough time for your traval time they pay you by the Deadhead chart not the time it really took you to get from one place to another. Like you can only claim 19 Minutes to traval from Metropolitan Ave (M) to Euclid Ave (C).

Archived