Usefulness of Q48

TML

Ever since the MTA decided to reduce service on the Q48, I've been thinking about its usefulness.

The Q48 connects Flushing, Corona, and East Elmhurst with LaGuardia Airport. However, during late 2009 its weekday and weekend ridership averages were merely 2,840 and 3,890, respectively. The MTA decided to retain this route for "network coverage" and service to LGA, but as we all know, it eliminated most early Monday morning trips (between 12 AM and 2 AM).

After some speculation, I have concluded that the main reason for Q48's relatively low ridership is as follows:

Flushing, Corona, and East Elmhurst have significant immigrant populations (Asian, Hispanic), but LGA is a mostly domestic airport, unlike JFK and EWR. Most immigrant people enter/exit NYC from JFK and EWR, and these people seldom fly to/from LGA. Consequently, relatively few people from these immigrant-dominated neighborhoods would use a bus that travels to/from a mostly domestic airport like LGA.

As such, I believe that the usefulness of the Q48 is rather limited; I wouldn't be surprised if its service is reduced further during future budget crises.

Ever since the MTA decided to reduce service on the Q48, I've been thinking about its usefulness.

The Q48 connects Flushing, Corona, and East Elmhurst with LaGuardia Airport. However, during late 2009 its weekday and weekend ridership averages were merely 2,840 and 3,890, respectively. The MTA decided to retain this route for "network coverage" and service to LGA, but as we all know, it eliminated most early Monday morning trips (between 12 AM and 2 AM).

After some speculation, I have concluded that the main reason for Q48's relatively low ridership is as follows:

Flushing, Corona, and East Elmhurst have significant immigrant populations (Asian, Hispanic), but LGA is a mostly domestic airport, unlike JFK and EWR. Most immigrant people enter/exit NYC from JFK and EWR, and these people seldom fly to/from LGA. Consequently, relatively few people from these immigrant-dominated neighborhoods would use a bus that travels to/from a mostly domestic airport like LGA.

As such, I believe that the usefulness of the Q48 is rather limited; I wouldn't be surprised if its service is reduced further during future budget crises.

I admit I don't use the (Q48) every day but are sure you that the 'main' reason for it's lower ridership? I am sure a few airport employees i.e TSA, etc. live in these 'immigrant' neighborhoods and use it.

The long term future of the (Q48) i do agree is not great. I can see the (MTA) mergering it with either the Q19 or more likely the Q69.

By mergering the Q48/69 it could create a direct bus to/from LIC and the 21st St Coordior for connecting to the (F) at 21st/Queensbridge and the other lines in the Court Sq/Queens Plaza area.

Also gives ridership in the Queensbridge PJ's Housing area and along 21st St. for those who work at LGA as well.

Extending the Q48 and connecting the LGA area neighborhoods to Kennedy Airport makes little sense. The only one it might sense to extend to SW Queens and JFK Airport area (I am not endorsing it making a point)is extending the (Q72)to that area via Yellowstong and Cross Bay.

That would be a pretty good idea (though the purpose would be more for people living in LIC, not really people transferring from the subway, since they have better options further down in Jackson Heights and Astoria)

Since the Q69 runs more frequently than the Q48, alternate runs would have to terminate either at LGA, or at the Q69's current terminal.

As far as a route from Flushing to JFK, I don't think that would be worth the money. Customers from the Flushing area can take the Q17 to the Q3, and customers from the Corona area, maybe an extension of the Q10 to Forest Hills(along with an extension of the Q23 to LGA) would work out.

That would be a pretty good idea (though the purpose would be more for people living in LIC, not really people transferring from the subway, since they have better options further down in Jackson Heights and Astoria) .

That exactly why i suggested that the (MTA) may and should look at if doomsday II cuts occur would be to merge the Q48 with either the nearby Q69(best option) or the Q19.

Most LGA riders connecting to the other subway lines are using either the (M60) or the (Q33) anyhow.

I don't buy the network coverage argument (from the MTA)...

I don't buy the immigrant argument (from the OP)...

I say the Q48 suffers from low ridership because it doesn't serve any real dense area, or enough areas, period (worse, the route is pretty much shunned in an area it does travel in - East Elmhurst), where it could possibly gain ridership.... I don't know how well the Q48 used to be utilized in the past, but we all know it aint doin all that great, present-date....

the ridership habits of the Q48, generally go like:

- b/w northern blvd & roosevelt blvd (7)

- b/w northern blvd & flushing

- b/w flushing & 111th (7)

- and bringing up the rear, is b/w LGA & Flushing....

virtually no one takes this from east elmhurst to get to the (7)..

why? b/c the Q33 & the Q72 are far more reliable options...

the Airport-to-hub strategy sounds good on paper, but it's poorly executed w/ the 48....

I don't necessarily think the route should go, but I'm not sure what can be done to increase usage, w/o it being "duplicative" to other routes....

ah well, at least it's useful for MTA employees out of Stengel :P

This is why I suggested a (Q23) extention into LGA. I don't see a good future for the (Q48) either. What might happen is a possible extention of the (Q69) to LGA or like others have said merging it with the (Q48)

In this regard, would it be fair to compare the Q48 with the Q33, which connects La Guardia with Jackson Heights (which has a large Colombian population), and like the Q48 does at Flushing-Main Street (7)<7> LIRR, ends at a major subway complex Roosevelt Avenue-74th Street (E)(F)(M)(R)(7)<7>?

Not in terms of ridership: Q33's late 2009 ridership totaled 8,714 on weekdays and 11,528 on weekends.

Hows about merging the Q48 with the M60?

Not a good idea. With the (M60)being subject to delays from 125th and RFK Triboro Bridge traffic reguarly, extending to Downtown Flushing would make worse the headways of the entire line.

If the (Q48)has to merger it shouid be with a nearby route within Queens only. Either the (Q19) or the (Q69)are the most logical.

Okay, then. How about with the Q-17? Or some other route in Flushing going east?

Why are most of the suggestions toward hooking up at LGA?

On hooking up with the Q48 with any other bus in Downtown Flushing. Almost of the routes serving Flushing i.e Q17, Q12, 13, 25/34, 66, etc. are already very busy and often sro and can't handle the added travel time or rider.

Of the Main/Roosevelt "Hub" lines, the only one it might make sense to merge the (Q48) with is the (Q50). This would give Coop City and NE Bronx a direct bus to LGA. However mergering a (NYCT) Bus line w/ an (MTA) bus route is not easy as it's dealing with an agreement with the TWU/ATU unions.

No matter the route, the future of the(Q48)mostly needs to either merge with another line or be restructured.

Hows about merging the Q48 with the M60?

I gotta say the demand is just about nothing, for a flushing - UWS/Harlem/upper manhattan route....

anything off the M60 route past the airport would be nothin short of unreliable...

the Q48 is too indirect b/w LGA & flushing for that to work anyway...

On hooking up with the Q48 with any other bus in Downtown Flushing. Almost of the routes serving Flushing i.e Q17, Q12, 13, 25/34, 66, etc. are already very busy and often sro and can't handle the added travel time or rider.

Of the Main/Roosevelt "Hub" lines, the only one it might make sense to merge the (Q48) with is the (Q50). This would give Coop City and NE Bronx a direct bus to LGA. However mergering a (NYCT) Bus line w/ an (MTA) bus route is not easy as it's dealing with an agreement with the TWU/ATU unions.

No matter the route, the future of the(Q48)mostly needs to either merge with another line or be restructured.

If not, then the Q48 can merge with either the Q16 or Q28 to provide an east-west thru-route through Flushing.

Someone suggested merging the (Q26) with (Q48)

I was going to suggest that. Out of all the Flushing hub routes heading east it's the probably the one that has the lowest ridership and if they want to improve network coverage they could extend it east to Springfield/ HH Expwy and take pressure off the (Q27).

The (Q28) gets decent ridership and you wouldn't want to screw it up by sending it into LGA. The (Q16) isn't one of my favorite routes and I'd rather them just kill the Utopia branch and send the (Q31) to Utopia/Willets Pt

Or maybe the Q31 could be extended even further, to the Q15 terminal, via 166th Street.

Given a choice of all of the routes in Flushing, I would say the Q16 does make the most sense. The headways most closely match those of the Q48 (plus, it gets less ridership than the nearby Q13 and Q28, so that should provide somewhat of an increase in ridership).

Then again, I would agree with Shortline Bus that it might be better to just combine it with the Q69. By doing so, it could take some pressure off of the M60 if it shows up first (since it connects with the (N)/(Q) as well)

I was going to suggest that. Out of all the Flushing hub routes heading east it's the probably the one that has the lowest ridership and if they want to improve network coverage they could extend it east to Springfield/HH Expwy and take pressure off the (Q27).

The (Q28) gets decent ridership and you wouldn't want to screw it up by sending it into LGA. The (Q16) isn't one of my favorite routes and I'd rather them just kill the Utopia branch and send the (Q31) to Utopia/Willets Pt

That's not a bad idea. How about restoring weekend service on the (Q31)? For the (Q26) extention, would you take it off Hollis Court Blvd?

If you took the Q26 off of Hollis Court Blvd, wouldn't that be like eliminating it and adding some service to the Q27?

Your Q31 comment reminded me: Between the elimination of weekend service on the Q31, Q76, and Q79, north-south service has really taken a hit. I would say to restore the Q76 before the Q31, though.

By the way, has weekend crowding on the Q30 increased much since the Q31 was eliminated?

Or maybe the Q31 could be extended even further, to the Q15 terminal, via 166th Street.

Given a choice of all of the routes in Flushing, I would say the Q16 does make the most sense. The headways most closely match those of the Q48 (plus, it gets less ridership than the nearby Q13 and Q28, so that should provide somewhat of an increase in ridership).

Then again, I would agree with Shortline Bus that it might be better to just combine it with the Q69. By doing so, it could take some pressure off of the M60 if it shows up first (since it connects with the (N)/(Q) as well)

In the end I think the (Q48) will either be merged with the (Q69) or a route in Flushing like the (Q26) or (Q16).

Archived