Usefulness of Q48

TML

It would probably be better if the combined route had similar hours and headways as the Q48.

Then again, I believe the Q26 is the shortest route that originates from Flushing, so reliability wouldn't be as much of an issue.

see my reply, to the post below....

I was going to suggest that. Out of all the Flushing hub routes heading east it's the probably the one that has the lowest ridership and if they want to improve network coverage they could extend it east to Springfield/ HH Expwy and take pressure off the (Q27).

I think I figured out what should happen w/ the 26... here it is:

IMO, the 26 as a standalone route, is a failure... its purpose should be, to ease as much pressure off the 27 as it can...

i.e. Q26/27.....

1) have the Q26 run over to QCC as a local.... select runs throughout the day, would still short turn along hollis ct. blvd.... the Q26 would be fused into the Q27 schedule... Q26 as a result, runs 7 days a week....

2) Q27 would run like:

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to Cambria Hgts... making all LTD stops

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to Cambria Hgts... runs LTD b/w Flushing & Jamaica av, then runs local b/w Jamaica av & Cambria Hgts

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to LIRR QV... making all LTD stops

- Q27 local: Flushing to [LIRR QV or Cambria Hgts]... making all local stops (weekend & late night service only)

- Q27 LTD: Cambria Hgts to Flushing... making all LTD stops

- Q27 LTD: Cambria Hgts to Flushing... making all local stops up to Hillside, then runs LTD after Hillside...

- Q27 LTD: LIRR QV to Flushing... runs local b/w Jamaica av & QCC, then runs LTD after QCC...

- Q27 local: Cambria Hgts to QCC... making all local stops

- Q27 local: [Cambria Hgts or LIRR QV] to Flushing... making all LTD stops (weekend & late night service only)

3) Service on the 26, would be similar to Q27 service that runs to HHE...

{look at it like splitting the 27, without actually splitting the 27}

(overall) Service on the 27 would be lessened, but every run out of flushing would at least run to LIRR QV...

4) as far as actual routing goes:

- absolutely nothing changes w/ the Q27...

- Q26 last stop/dropoff is on roosevelt, b/w union & main (midblock)

- Q26 first stop/pickup would be shared w/ the Q27's in Flushing...

- Q26 out of Flushing, would still take parsons, en route to 46th... where it would then parallel the Q27 routing to QCC... if QCC allows it, its terminal would be inside the QCC pickup area... if not, buses would layover along springfield, opposide cardozo HS (of course, after having served QCC)....

* as far as housing/depot configurations go, the Q26 can be split w/ QV as a result....

The (Q28) gets decent ridership and you wouldn't want to screw it up by sending it into LGA. The (Q16) isn't one of my favorite routes and I'd rather them just kill the Utopia branch and send the (Q31) to Utopia/Willets Pt

Yup.... that, and the Q28 is the most reliable out of all the Flushing - NE Queens routes....

...and I agree with you about the Q16... I wouldn't even bother sending the Q31 up along Utopia there...

just leave those riders w/ QM2a service & call it a day....

Or maybe the Q31 could be extended even further, to the Q15 terminal, via 166th Street.

Given a choice of all of the routes in Flushing, I would say the Q16 does make the most sense. The headways most closely match those of the Q48 (plus, it gets less ridership than the nearby Q13 and Q28, so that should provide somewhat of an increase in ridership).

Then again, I would agree with Shortline Bus that it might be better to just combine it with the Q69. By doing so, it could take some pressure off of the M60 if it shows up first (since it connects with the (N)/(Q) as well)

1) Q31's already unreliable... what good would extending it to Beechhurst do? those riders don't want Jamaica service no way... that would get shutdown real quick....

2) don't see where you & shortline get this notion that a Q69/48 merge would ease pressure off the M60.. when the Q69 has squat to do w/ the M60; it (69) doesn't even go inside LGA bro.... if you look at the ridership patterns of the 69, the masses aren't using it to get to Ditmars (N)(Q)... you'd be more inclined to see Q69 riders ride it all the way out to QBP for subway service there....

furthermore, such a merger would actually be worse...

get this...

....than the current Q66 that pans from Queensboro plz to Flushing !

it's far more easier to walk & take the N/Q to the M60, if you live along 21st, short of astoria (blvd)....

hell, you'd even be better off taking the Q66 to the Q33, than taking a combined Q69/48 route... such a route would be nothing short of a disaster...the Q69 would be less relied upon than it is now....

3) yeah, if you look at it like that, the Q16 is the better choice to merge w/ the Q48.... I don't necessarily agree with this, but the only thing you could really do to have 16's run to LGA (from its current route) is having them pan down union for a short block, to get to roosevelt...

...problem is though, roosevelt b/w main & prince, is the dropoff spot for the Q17 & the Q27... there's no where along roosevelt b/w union & main where you could put a Q16 stop, b/c you have the LIB's, plus the Q12's, 15's, 26's dropping ppl off on that block... plus buses layover on that side of the block (WB) as well....

guess the point I'm raising is, where would you put a Q16 (LGA bound) stop in downtown flushing? and dont say college pt blvd, b/c you aint getting ppl to walk from no main st to college pt blvd.... unless maybe you ban parking, and put the stop closest to prince st/roosevelt blvd? that's the only thing I can think of....

diverting the Q16 route any further than Roosevelt itself, would be too much of an inconvenience...

(refer to terminal problem w/ the Q58 in flushing)

Unless I'm missing something, someone else wants to point out....

see my reply, to the post below....

I think I figured out what should happen w/ the 26... here it is:

IMO, the 26 as a standalone route, is a failure... its purpose should be, to ease as much pressure off the 27 as it can...

i.e. Q26/27.....

1) have the Q26 run over to QCC as a local.... select runs throughout the day, would still short turn along hollis ct. blvd.... the Q26 would be fused into the Q27 schedule... Q26 as a result, runs 7 days a week....

2) Q27 would run like:

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to Cambria Hgts... making all LTD stops

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to Cambria Hgts... runs LTD b/w Flushing & Jamaica av, then runs local b/w Jamaica av & Cambria Hgts

- Q27 LTD: Flushing to LIRR QV... making all LTD stops

- Q27 local: Flushing to [LIRR QV or Cambria Hgts]... making all local stops (weekend & late night service only)

- Q27 LTD: Cambria Hgts to Flushing... making all LTD stops

- Q27 LTD: Cambria Hgts to Flushing... making all local stops up to Hillside, then runs LTD after Hillside...

- Q27 LTD: LIRR QV to Flushing... runs local b/w Jamaica av & QCC, then runs LTD after QCC...

- Q27 local: Cambria Hgts to QCC... making all local stops

- Q27 local: [Cambria Hgts or LIRR QV] to Flushing... making all LTD stops (weekend & late night service only)

3) Service on the 26, would be similar to Q27 service that runs to HHE...

{look at it like splitting the 27, without actually splitting the 27}

(overall) Service on the 27 would be lessened, but every run out of flushing would at least run to LIRR QV...

4) as far as actual routing goes:

- absolutely nothing changes w/ the Q27...

- Q26 last stop/dropoff is on roosevelt, b/w union & main (midblock)

- Q26 first stop/pickup would be shared w/ the Q27's in Flushing...

- Q26 out of Flushing, would still take parsons, en route to 46th... where it would then parallel the Q27 routing to QCC... if QCC allows it, its terminal would be inside the QCC pickup area... if not, buses would layover along springfield, opposide cardozo HS (of course, after having served QCC)....

* as far as housing/depot configurations go, the Q26 can be split w/ QV as a result....

I actually like that idea. This would make the (Q26) useful. Now what to do with the (Q42) now

The Q48 would do best as a super shuttle running from the N in Astoria to LGA to Flushing. No intermediate stops in between the airport and the two ends. You'll have a barbell strategy to balance out the traffic. Low cost operators are finally getting meaningful slot capacity at LGA (JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit) and a restructured Q48 could be useful to these passengers.

The Q48 would do best as a super shuttle running from the N in Astoria to LGA to Flushing. No intermediate stops in between the airport and the two ends. You'll have a barbell strategy to balance out the traffic. Low cost operators are finally getting meaningful slot capacity at LGA (JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit) and a restructured Q48 could be useful to these passengers.

Hey i used LGA to fly on Southwest to/from Southern Calif during the X-mas/New Year's Holidays.

I think a 'super express shuttle' between Astoia Blvd (N) stop and LGA is a great idea.

That would be one way to take off the crowding off the (M60) .

However the (MTA) will probably never be that creative. Instead they would either extend the Q69 to the aiport or merge the (Q48) and (Q69) as the likely long term future of the (Q48) IMO. :o

http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=371659&postcount=39

^^ the general idea there is basically what I said, minus the elimination of intermediate stops....

The Q19 already runs along astoria blvd, serves the (N)(Q) station there, and it also serves flushing.... the general service is already there (minus LGA)... if you want to have a super limited (or w/e you wanna call it) only serve Flushing, LGA, and Astoria Blvd (N)(Q), I agree... that would be ideal... But I still think the Q19 can benefit from serving LGA, with the normal stops along astoria blvd....

currently, the Q19 is nothin more than a flushing - astoria blvd (N)(Q) shuttle anyway.... you get a few pax here & there that embark/disembark at the intermediate stops, and then the bulk of whoever's left, gets off at the subway... almost no one rides it to 21st....

but you're talking about the Q48...

IMO, the intermediate stops is the only thing that's keeping that route alive... out of all the routes that serve LGA, the Q48 is the lowest utilized....

I think a 'super express shuttle' between Astoia Blvd (N) stop and LGA is a great idea.

That would be one way to take off the crowding off the (M60) .

Sure, and it's also a way for the MTA to have the M60 run nonstop in Queens before it gets to central terminal....

Including the Astoria blvd subway station....

Considering the zoo that can be the RFK Bridge, it may be better to eliminate all non-LGA Queens stops on the M60. It might save one or two buses during peak times. Branded buses (a la the B30 in Maryland) tend to do better than plain old locals. The N trains have the technology to advertise the Q48 as an extension of the N train to the airport. A route like the Q19 would not fit that picture.

There is also the issue of fusing NYCT and Bus routes. Making the M60 and Q48 work together is easier than the Q19 and Q48. The city pays for one, but not the other.

Considering the zoo that can be the RFK Bridge, it may be better to eliminate all non-LGA Queens stops on the M60. It might save one or two buses during peak times. Branded buses (a la the B30 in Maryland) tend to do better than plain old locals. The N trains have the technology to advertise the Q48 as an extension of the N train to the airport. A route like the Q19 would not fit that picture.

There is also the issue of fusing NYCT and Bus routes. Making the M60 and Q48 work together is easier than the Q19 and Q48. The city pays for one, but not the other.

The only non-LGA Queens stop I would keep for the M60 would be 31st St/Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) station since there are many riders that use the M60 between Astoria and Manhattan (including a few Columbia students and those traveling to Upper Manhattan/The Bronx without having to go to Midtown).

Don't quite get what you're sayin...

Just b/c the R160's have the technology to advertise the Q48 to LGA, is the reason that it should be considered, over a route [Q19] that already serves the general corridor of operation (astoria blvd)... unless you'd have the 48 take on some other convoluted routing....

I still say the 19 should be the route to take on that task... out of main st, you do see people taking (7)'s to the Q33 for airport service... that says a lot about how ppl. feel about the Q48... and don't bother bringing up having the 48 keep its current routing, to only run to flushing, LGA, and astoria blvd subway...

You don't need the M60, Q19, and the Q48 running on astoria blvd...

The only non-LGA Queens stop I would keep for the M60 would be 31st St/Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) station since there are many riders that use the M60 between Astoria and Manhattan (including a few Columbia students and those traveling to Upper Manhattan/The Bronx without having to go to Midtown).

Exactly.

Which is why I brought up that point about running M60's nonstop in Queens before it gets to the airport...

If you have M60's stopping at astoria blvd subway, it nullifies Shortline Bus' claim that a Q48 extension would take crowding off the M60 (which it wouldn't do anyway, probably meant overcrowding)....

Which defeats the purpose of extending the Q48 to astoria blvd subway ...

Don't quite get what you're sayin...

Just b/c the R160's have the technology to advertise the Q48 to LGA, is the reason that it should be considered, over a route [Q19] that already serves the general corridor of operation (astoria blvd)... unless you'd have the 48 take on some other convoluted routing....

I still say the 19 should be the route to take on that task... out of main st, you do see people taking (7)'s to the Q33 for airport service... that says a lot about how ppl. feel about the Q48... and don't bother bringing up having the 48 keep its current routing, to only run to flushing, LGA, and astoria blvd subway...

You don't need the M60, Q19, and the Q48 running on astoria blvd...

Exactly.

Which is why I brought up that point about running M60's nonstop in Queens before it gets to the airport...

If you have M60's stopping at astoria blvd subway, it nullifies Shortline Bus' claim that a Q48 extension would take crowding off the M60 (which it wouldn't do anyway, probably meant overcrowding)....

Which defeats the purpose of extending the Q48 to astoria blvd subway ...

But the Q48 would not go to Manhattan, which is what those at 31st St want to go. It would be better off for both the M60 and Q48 to stop at 31st St.

But the Q48 would not go to Manhattan, which is what those at 31st St want to go. It would be better off for both the M60 and Q48 to stop at 31st St.

1) No one's saying anything about the Q48 going to Manhattan....

when I say it would defeat the purpose....

2) ....it would be wasteful to have both the M60 & the Q48 serving the Astoria blvd subway station, en route to LGA (or vice versa).... the M60 has like 8-9 min. headways, which is rather frequent.... you would still have people piling on M60's (in Astoria), which nullifies this notion that a Q48 would cease crowding off the M60...

----

look, lemme phrase it differently...

What I'm sayin is, for such a service (Q48 in this case) to work out for the better, the M60 would have to bypass 31st, for the Q48 to gain enough of a crowd to justify such an extension... otherwise, those same riders would still take M60's; there wouldn't be near as much benefit to extending the 48....

The point you're bringing up, I'm well aware of... there is a healthy set of riders that commute from astoria to manhattan via the M60....

You're tellin me that ppl travel b/w astoria & manhattan, so the M60 needs to stop at 31st (which I'm not disputing)...

What I don't think you're quite grasping is that, if the M60 stops at 31st to drop off manhattan pax seeking to get off there, you'll have people waiting AT THAT SAME STOP wishing to board that M60 to disembark @ LGA....

at that point, it's like, why even bother extending the 48.....

Archived